Do you know any PUBLISHED authors that are THIS VERY EXAMPLE?

Yes. I call them “the texts my students are forced to study in school because the education system is stupid af and doesn’t know what good writing is but is so focused on political correctness that they don’t realise the damage these texts are doing to literary abilities”

2 Likes

Damn! The brutal truth I was not expecting or knew that I needed!

2 Likes

Yup. Sooooooo much of the stuff I help my students with is brain rotting :expressionless:

The rest fall under the categories of “how has your teacher never taught this?” and “stupid and complex names for really basic concepts” and “why do Australian authors we have to study suck so much?” as well as many other things

2 Likes

The only Austrailian literature I am familiar with is Hilltop Hoods. I don’t think it’s school friendly but it has to be more interesting.

2 Likes

Which age group do you teach?

2 Likes

Time, and focus… You will do it!

SD

2 Likes

1 Like

I teach years 7-12 (so all of high school so a big age range)

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Stephen King comes to mind for the good storyteller, not so great writer. Granted, I’ve only read his Nightmares and Dreamscapes collection so not sure if that is a good set of writing to go by compared to his other more popular books. But I enjoyed the collection. Some of the short story endings have always felt unsatisfying.

For a great writer, not so great storyteller - I’ll probably put me lol. This is because I’ve always focused less on plot and more on character. I’m great at an introspective, character-driven story but it meant that my plot-driven elements of my story still doesn’t make the impact or fully engages the reader in the way it needs to. I wouldn’t say the plot is necessarily bad but it definitely is slower and less action-packed than what readers are used to.

Good news is, I’m working on it.

3 Likes

:grin:

1 Like