20 Basic Plots?! Which one or two does your story fit?

Choose wisely!

1. Quest: The plot involves the protagonist’s search for a person, place, or thing, tangible or intangible.

2. Adventure: This plot involves the protagonist going in search of their fortune, and since fortune is never found at home, the Protagonist goes to search for it.

3. Pursuit: This plot literally involves hide-and-seek, one person chasing another.

4. Rescue: This plot involves the protagonist searching for someone of something, usually consisting of three main characters (the protagonist, the victim, and the antagonist).

5. Escape: Plot involves a protagonist confined against their will who wants to escape (does not include someone trying to escape their personal demons).

6. Revenge: Retaliation by Protagonist or Antagonist against the other for real or imagined injury.

7. The Riddle: plot involves the Protagonist’s search for clues to find the hidden meaning of something in question that is deliberately enigmatic or ambiguous.

8. Rivalry: Plot involves protagonist competing for same object or goal as another person.

9. Underdog: Plot involves a protagonist competing for an object or goal that is at a great disadvantage and is faced with overwhelming odds.

10. Temptation: plot involves a protagonist that for one reason or another is induced or persuaded to do something unwise, wrong, or immoral.

11. Metamorphosis: this plot involves the physical characteristics of the protagonist actually changing from one form to another (reflecting their inner psychological identity).

12. Transformation: plot involves the process of changed in the protagonist as they journey through a stage of life that moves them from one significant character state to another.

13. Maturation: plot involves the protagonist facing a problem that is part of growing up, and from dealing with it, emerging into a state of adulthood (going from innocence to experience).

14. Love: Plot involves the protagonist overcoming the obstacles to love that keeps them from consummating (engaging in) true love.

15. Forbidden Love: plot involves protagonist(s) overcoming obstacles created by social mores and taboos to consummate their relationship (and sometimes finding it at too high a price to live with).

16. Sacrifice: plot involves the protagonist taking action(s) that is motivated by a higher purpose (concept) such a love, honor, clarity of for the sake of humanity.

17. Discovery: plot that is the most character centered of all, involves the protagonist having to overcome an upheaval(s) in their life, and thereby discovering something important (and buried) within them a better understanding of life (i.e., better appreciation of their life, a clearer purpose in their life, etc).

18. Wretched Excess: plot involves a protagonist who, either by choice or by accident, pushes the limits of acceptable behavior to the extreme and is forced to deal with the consequences (generally deal with the psychological decline of the character).

19. Ascension: Rags to riches plot deals with the rise (success) of the protagonist due to a dominating character trait that helps them to succeed.

20. Decision: riches to rags plot deals with the fall of destruction of protagonist due dominating character trait that eventually destroys them.

I am done! Now, it is better and you can choose!
I can’t believe I wrote all of that!

6 Likes

I’m gonna do this right so brace yourselves.

Aren’t these archetypes too?

1 Like

I suppose so…

I am trying to fix this because the picture is way too small for my liking.

1 Like

Did you upload it from a phone?

1 Like

My Synthetic series is probably a mix of discovery, transformation, and the riddle.

1 Like

I did it better this time.
I had to write the whole damn thing out!

LOL!

1 Like

Nope, from my desktop computer.

1 Like

Oh you wrote it out haha

1 Like

I had no choice…
I didn’t like it small. LOL!

1 Like

Fair enough.

1 Like

I counted about 15/20 for one of my stories. Some are more prominent than others. I’m okay with this.

2 Likes

Oh cool!

Which ones are the more prominent ones? I am curious!

So I’ve got a duology. My first book (the novella) is 100% about maturation. The experience that my MC gains slots perfectly into that description. But the sequel is more centered on love. It’s not completely love, but it’s a major theme.

1 Like

I don’t tend to write things where only 1 is involved, even if the story isn’t much…so why and what am I picking 1 for?

1 Like

5 - escape. All my characters are trying to run away from a villainous man who keeps them captive for his films.
11 - the main character must change who he is in order to become the person the other victims need. Very sad and dark transformation.

1 Like

Revenge is certain a factor in why Elya decides to betray her king and country, and work for the rebellion (I despise calling it that). They offer her vengeance, which is a driving force behind (most) of her character motivations.

Although I would not say revenge is the main theme of the story, due to it being so interwoven into the character (in book one at least) it’s certainly factors into major character development and serves as a motivator for her to reach the ‘not turning back’ point of the story.

Due to the aforementioned plot steeple, this must also be at least somewhat true. There are outstanding factors, and she is (somewhat) blackmailed into helping the rebellion, however she is tempted by the offer of revenge and freedom afterward.

Helping the rebellion isn’t exactly a moral choice, as they think the only way to solve a problem is by way of extreme methods. Be it mass genocide, the slaughter of innocents, and the desecration of their bodies. Their cause is more led by way of revenge then it is to actually help anything. Furthermore, she’s betraying her country in doing this for selfish reasons.

This seems to be the overarching theme that I’m going for. We must all give something in order to gain.

1 Like

I should have made a poll or something, but then that would have been painfully longer.
Oh well! LOL!

11-15 mostly. I didn’t even try to add all of these plots and I’m curious now how common it is to have so many in one story. I’m sure I have some with only one or two.

1 Like

My current fanfic fits none of these :skull:

1 Like