~ ***** a fox chat ***** ~ [Now: Weirdest writing advice you have ever received?]

As @NotARussianBot said, don’t bother with the forums (they’ve taken them down anyway)

and it’s 50k, not 500 XD

You write 50k in a month. You track your progress. It’s free to sign up for and it’s like a motivation boost.

3 Likes

Well…they do promote the challenge, but not necessarily quantity, because then after that, they encourage you to edit. They also talk about authors who have published their NaNo books.

The month of November is the official challenge, but you can create your own deadlines any time, too. It’s just to help get your novel done.

And there’s nothing about failing. The point is you made progress in your novel.

3 Likes

Proceed.

1 Like

I think Mort found my old coffee.

1 Like

Do you guys have a book or genre that you like, but it’s your guilty pleasure? You usually don’t like books like this, or you usually don’t read this genre, but sometimes you find a gem and you enjoy indulging.

For example, maybe you generally dislike romance novels, but when it comes to manga or web comics about oni princes or dragon princes saving human girls who were betrayed by their younger siblings and hated by their parents, you just can’t help but read and read and read. That’s my example, actually :stuck_out_tongue: I haven’t bought any of those books or manga, but if I can find a free sample of a few chapters, you can bet I’m reading it until the wee hours of morning :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s my guilty pleasure.

4 Likes

Horror. The super trope-y ones that don’t always have the best language. There’s something about ghost stories that gets me. My library app has a seemingly endless catalogue of horror books so there’s always something available when I’m in the mood. I wouldn’t call them gems though :sweat_smile: I never recommend those titles.

3 Likes

Look at me. Look into my eyes.

Do you think I have time to feel guilt? Over anything?

2 Likes

lol

Well, how about your non-guilty pleasure then?

Do you have books or genres you don’t normally go to, but something about that one book or one anime or one movie you absolutely love?

1 Like

Anything by Nobuyuki Fukumoto is really outside of what I expected of myself.

2 Likes

Are those the ones that follow a similar plot pattern? But since you know what you’re getting, you end up reading all of them? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yep. It’s easy to devour in one sitting

2 Likes

Yo, you want more ghost stories?

2 Likes

No :heart:

2 Likes

Ok have this

3 Likes

Noooo! How dare they ruin the sanctity of Vengaboys

2 Likes

If that pissed you off, there’s plenty worse out there!

2 Likes

I guess Georgette Heyer novels are my guilty pleasure. Granted, most of them are awful, but every so often she wrote one like Regency Buck or The Transformation of Philip Jettan that makes me want to reread it several times in a row because it just pushes some button. But yeah, otherwise I hate romance novels because they’re usually so shallow and silly.

Usually I’m not a fan of fantasy either, but lately I’ve loved a few books by TJ Klune, and I can’t wait until the sequel to The House in the Cerulean Sea comes out next year. Should be amazing! (੭ˊᵕˋ)੭‧˚₊・*̥✧

2 Likes

Absurd horror manga. Like the most messed up and wild and bizarre yet oddly creative horror manga that I can’t seem to put down.

I am also enjoy Korean webcomics focusing on reincarnation and different sects in olden times or just random Korean webcomics. I’m reading more of those than reading manga.

Anime wise, I LOVE a cute slice of life about girls who are friends and enjoying simple life. I do enjoy some isekai anime, though not as much as slice-of-life.

I am starting to enjoy Chinese animation (donghua) too.

3 Likes