Ancient, Prehistoric, or something else???

I have a question to ask that I want anyone to answer.

Let’s say someone completely immortal/has been alive for WAY too long (millions of years give or take). And to this present day that person is still alive will would continue to be alive long after mortals cease to exist.

Moving on, this immortal was born a little after their planet’s creation, but before the creation of mankind and other species.

Which is better to call this person? An ancient being or a prehistoric being?

I ask this question because, when I think of prehistoric, I think of the time when men started to come into existence. Then when I think of ancient times, I think hundred to thousands of years ago.

If an immortal being exist around the time of their planet’s creation or creation of mankind, would that make the person very ancient or prehistoric or something else entirely?

What do you think? Would being a Time Abyss person be better suited to them or not quite?

3 Likes

Prehistory literally means “before written records”. It’s problematic because many places in the world did not have written records before colonization, but oral histories.

“Primordial” might be a more fitting term.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this.

1 Like

I’d go with “primordial” as well

2 Likes

Thanks you as well.

2 Likes

I’d say this being would be Primordial…

SD

2 Likes

Thanks again.

1 Like

No problem!

2 Likes

Yeah, primordial is good. Primeval, if you’re feeling a bit synonymous–especially if this character is some sort of perennial progenitor packing perpetually pursuant permanence preceding the prior-penned past.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you all for commenting. I greatly appreciate it.
:grin:

1 Like

Prehistoric is usually used to describe a time before history was recorded, whereas something Ancient is something that has been around a really long time.

Truthfully, I think that either could be used to describe the kind of being you’re speaking of.

Ageless might fit as well, depending upon your preference.

2 Likes

Love the alliteration here!

3 Likes