Any thoughts on who the protagonist should end up with?

My story, the Trident, is a noir style mystery that takes place in the 1940s with a strong romance subplot. In it, PI Ray Allison is hired by Gwen Sanford to uncover the truth behind the mysterious death of her father, a businessman with potentially shady connections and plenty of people with a motive. At any rate…

The secondary plot besides the mystery is a triangle of sorts between Ray, Gwen, and Vera, the alluring witness character with a possible connection to the crime.

Ray is in his mid twenties, he has a typical middle class upbringing, went to law school and obtained his PI license, He’s seen a lot of terrible things on the streets of Manhattan, and with this newest case, he’s now begun to contemplate whether he should continue in the pursuit of justice or leave it all behind. Ray is generally quite compassionate, he takes his clients’ cases very seriously, and is a very meticulous and thorough investigator. This has given him a reputation of sorts. He also tends to have sympathy for people who are deemed lost causes. This is generally how he gets otherwise shady witnesses to cooperate.

Gwen is in her early twenties and come from one of the wealthiest families in New York. Her grandfather, Stephen Sanford Sr., founded an arms manufacturing company In the late 1800s that first took off in WW1. After the war, her father, Stephen Sanford Jr., took over and turned the company into an empire by the time of WWII. When he father died in an apparent car accident/suicide, she sought out Ray specifically because of his aforementioned reputation as a thorough PI. She and Ray had an instant connection that came into conflict with the investigation. She’s not exactly the classic demur type, as she does have an independent side and even a crime solving streak, but she Is rather sheltered, and definitely has endured her share of family drama. She has a very close bond with Ray throughout the story, and he often feels conflicted between his feelings for her and his desire to solve her case.

Vera is also in her early 20s. Much of her background is unknown at first, however both of her parents were murdered in a possible gang related incident when she was very young (this possibly plays a larger role in the later plot). She later fled the orphanage and joined the Trident, a secretive organization which may have been involved in several murders, including this one. As previously mentioned, there is much speculation about Vera’s actual involvement, if any, in the crime, and this naturally causes Ray to become suspicious. But Vera is also saying she wants out of the Trident, so he feels a bit of that protective nature as well. This leads to a very conflicted relationship for both of therm, since they cannot be sure if they can trust each other’s motives. Even so, they did form a unique rapport that grew stronger throughout the story, and there has always been something alluring about her to Ray besides her looks, something deeper that he can’t quite put his finger on.

I’m torn. I’ve even contemplated having an alternate ending.

3 Likes

Plan out what both would look like and see what you like better, I guess. That’s what I would do.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s true…I’ve just been going back and forth between them a lot

2 Likes

Gwen and Vera should end up together as suspiciously close 1940s ‘gal pals’. Mix it up, give us a twist we don’t expect. The wealthy socialite with a desire for danger and the street rat with a shady past? They were made for each other.

Or, go classic with the noir detective and damsel in distress with Ray & Gwen, with Vera as a temporary love triangle that makes us worried Ray & Gwen wont end up together in the end. They sound like they have a lot of ‘will they wont they’ tension that could really hook readers with a classic romance.

3 Likes

Dunno if it would help, but perhaps making it a poll? So you have the two options and people can vote officially.

Also, if you put POLL in the title, it’ll catch people’s eye. I don’t know how to make a poll, but I think you can ask a moderator for help.

(SCRATCH THIS ADVICE! Apparently, polls aren’t working rn.)

2 Likes

So are you voting or just restating the first post, lol! :rofl:

1 Like

Oh dear, you’ve really tempted me now with that Gwen/Vera twist :sweat_smile: I’m probably going to write some more 40s noir stuff, so that’ll definitely be a consideration for a future plot. But yeah I had this concept in mind as a classic noir-romance so the second idea might work better for this story. But that’s a 10/10 for creative input and making me think of something I hadn’t before, thank you :slight_smile:

Edit: Now I’m picturing people writing Gwen x Vera fan fiction :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I heard that polls weren’t working, which is too bad I guess, this would’ve been a good question for one

1 Like

Whoops! I only just realized that you were throwing in another option. Damn! Am I an idiot!

That’s a cool idea, btw!

1 Like

It is. Even if it doesn’t end up in this particular story, I still love that idea for a future story.

Im rooting for Gwen 100%

2 Likes

Hehe :slight_smile: We’ll just have to see what happens

2 Likes

Is it bad that I ship Gwen and Vera now…?

3 Likes

You’re now my second Gwen/Vera shipper haha. We’re going to need to start some kind of a fan club :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s strange because I’m shipping Ray and Vera. You know, just make this a crazy love triangle and keep us on our toes.

2 Likes

Ray and Vera will definitely have moments :slight_smile: I feel like they get closer as the. story goes along

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.