Anyone ever get AU ideas for their own work?

I’ve been working on my book for almost a year and a half now and I am finally nearing the end. (Yay!) But now I have a new problem: my brain has started fanfic-ing my own story! I’m trying to write the climax of the story and instead my brain is like “Hey, you know what would be fun? Creating a whole other story involving the main characters, but keep it in the same world, just different. AU it. Ooo, here’s a fun scene right now…”

So, anyone else have to deal with that, or am I just weird?

10 Likes

Nah, you’re not weird. I have something similar when I was planning a prologue to my current story. Thing with the current story is one of the characters referenced is already dead, but in the prologue, he would be alive. And I had so much fun thinking about the scenes in the prologue, I was like… but now I don’t want him to die. :laughing: I mean he HAS to for my current story to make sense, but I was like, maybe I can write an alternative ending to the prologue where he lives, and happy ending! :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I wanna do this all the time. :rofl: i think its normal? I think its also really common just bevause you get ideas like “but what if this never happened and this happened instead?” And it changes the ENTIRE story after that point. Essentially you just want to be able to write two stories of the same characters and world but with different directions and endings. Because why not?

I have a trilogy where i want to just write “What if the love interest never went to heaven but ended up in hell instead?” And see how that would totally change the entire story.

2 Likes

I wrote a whole story based on such an idea. I had written a spin-off to my own fanfiction story, featuring characters that I’d basically created myself (they were briefly mentioned in the canon material, but aged them up significantly and created their backstories and relationships) but as I closed in on the end of that story, I felt a bit sad about how I had to end it (I just couldn’t create a canon world where their same-sex relationship could be out and accepted). I think I also had some comments from a reader about this, who wished there could be a universe where they could have a happy ending.

Well, I created that universe. It started with just a few snippets of scenes, just getting them out of my head. But I couldn’t stop writing. Soon, I realized this could actually be a story in itself (I had about 30k of random scenes at that point). So, I wrote that story. It ended up being about 92k words and is currently the most popular story on my profile (I’ve actually unpublished the original story to not create confusion about whether the 2nd story is fanfiction or not).

2 Likes

I definitely have a lot of AU ideas for my stories :joy: in fact, my first ever story posted to Wattpad can sort of be considered an AU fanfic of my OCs :no_mouth:

They’re fun to think of but I don’t think I’ll write those. I’ll just stick to writing the canons and the AUs can remain as fantasies :]

2 Likes

in the literary world we call those spin-offs :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That’s often enough what a sequel is, especially those not following the same MCs.

1 Like

Constantly, but my mind never stops coming up with ideas

1 Like

I’ve done it, or am doing it. I’ve made an urban fantasy/romance book that I finished in January, and made a spin off. I’m currently working on it, but it’s on hold as I had a brand new idea that needs to be written first XD my brain will go back to it once this story is done though.

2 Likes

I too have this problem. I get ideas for completely other worlds and scenarios to put my characters into though. Which usually ends up with me coming up with new characters for those AU’s that I want to include in the original work. They kind of feed off each other, but then I never get anything done because I get overwhelmed.

2 Likes

That’s all I do lmfao.

1 Like

But those would be set in the same universe. I think what is referred to here (and what I did) is moving the same characters to a completely different setting and exploring their stories there.

2 Likes

Yes actually, quite a bit.

Like in one of my stories, I figured it would make sense for their to be alternate universes of it. One where the main character is killed early into the book and it’s up to another one (the sidekick/other protagonist) to be the main character and carry on their legacy. And some other ones that are extremely dark. Like much darker.

But I actually consider the AUs to be canon in some way

1 Like

It’s done in scifi. My whole Assassin’s Journals is multiple Earths. So I have the MC & family in different environments.

1 Like

Oh yeah, but that feels like another thing as the alternate universes are then part of the canon universe. Like then there is another explanation and purpose for the multiple timelines within the story. What I’m thinking of is writing a completely different story, using the same characters and relationships.

3 Likes

I made an entire damn sequel with the same characters if they had different relationships with each other and somehow made it make sense so I can confirm that I have done this lmao

1 Like

I shouldn’t be here…might get ideas for Tales of Avantica.

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not weird at all. It happens to me with my stories all the time :joy:

1 Like