Anyone struggling writing out a plot for your story? :(

Depends on the kind of story, but my direction generally looks something like:

Beginning Point

Middle Point

End Point

+3 random points to go anywhere within this structure that are just random scenes/things I wanna write or plot things I’ve figured out that happen on the way

And then, so long as I’m steering from one point to the next, I can take as many detours as I want along the way!!

Example:

• Boy meets girls in a thistle patch (Beginning point)
  • They fall in love, but when the boy proposes the girl rejects him and says she cannot marry him
  • Boy asks local enchantress for help, but the enchantress wants to marry her own daughter off to the boy, so she instructs the boy to pluck a thistle from the thistle girl’s patch in her sleep (Middle point)
  • Thistle girl is killed when the thistle is plucked; boy is heartbroken
  • Exacting revenge, the other thistles kill the boy first, then the enchantress
  • The daughter becomes a thistle girl (End point)

For me it’s like writing out a grocery list. If I actually write it all down, I’ll feel compelled to buy everything on the list even if the deals aren’t so great that day. I don’t want that. I want to be able to change my mind if I spot something better.

So, it’s not that I have a hard time writing out plots. It just feels like it takes something away from the story if I do. Plus, even with memory being a limiting factor, I figure if I forget something then it probably wasn’t very memorable to begin with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.