šŸ¤“ Are You The MC?! - Character Names šŸ“š

Pretty much :rofl:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know because it hasnā€™t happened to me before.

2 Likes

True! That is pretty funny! :joy:

Kinda sounds like you adopt their personality to a point, cool! XD

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

One day you will join the club :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

3 Likes

Yeah, it is! I wonder if the actor feels the exact same, honestly?

LOL!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a way to put it. I have to get into their headspace, some, to be able to write them.

2 Likes

theyā€™re just chilling in the depths of your mind rent free XD

1 Like

I donā€™t get bugged by them the way others do, so itā€™s fairly different.

2 Likes

I cannot. I havenā€™t seen any with the exact same name yet, but I have seen one with different spelling which I know is read the same as my name, and I deliberately read it wrong, so I could enjoy the book XD

I go as far as not reading books by authors who share the same name as mine. Iā€™m pretty sure I missed a good book that way, but I justā€¦I canā€™t.

Iā€™m fine with reading a book that shares the name with someone I know because usually the fictional one is completely different from the person I know. Iā€™m lucky here Iā€™m an only child. Idk what I would feel if I had a sibling and MC share the same name.

But I did have an issue once with reading The Host.

Story Time

I once knew someone called Ian. They were an exchange student in high school and werenā€™t going to be at my school for long. I usually didnā€™t associate with the exchange students. Usually, only one or two come and they are super, super popular. Especially the boys. The boys are so popular with the girls. I was also hiding my English-speaking identity, but working on a newsletter with my English teacher (because my mom was like, ya need some credentials for college, blah blah blah, so I was forced into that).

But that year, I was forced to associate with Ian because my English teacher and the teacher who was in charge of Ian thought it would be cool if I wrote a newsletter with Ian during his stay.

I did not want to and I donā€™t think he wanted to either.

I already had an incident in junior high with a boy and his girl followers. I did not know he had followers. But this time, I do. I was going to deal with that again.

But what could I say to the teacher? :sweat_smile: Hey, I donā€™t want to do this project because of past and present teenage drama? Nope.

It was kind of like adults forcing kids to have a playdate. Weā€™re 15? 16? and weā€™re forced to associate in a project neither of us want to do.

It made reading ā€œThe Hostā€ difficult because a love interest was named Ian and I really liked the character. I read it as ā€œay-anā€ so I wouldnā€™t have to think of that exchange student.

That was probably the only time some real-life thing affected me that much.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve done that before xD.

1 Like

Now you need to write that short story! People will think itā€™s a teenage enemies to lovers or something and youā€™re just like nope just healing teenage trauma form high school xD.

2 Likes

Yay! Itā€™s not just me :grin:

1 Like

Lol, maybe some day. Not ready to face that time in my life yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, I just wondered, have you ever come up with a character name you were sure you made up, and find out that itā€™s an actual real name of someone or a real word?

1 Like

One of my favorite parts of writing is naming characters! I always write down my charactersā€™ names and then canā€™t help but google the meaning of it. Thatā€™s when I either get a meaning that Iā€™m like dang I was unintentionally spot on! Or I get no results back :sweat_smile:. The second thing is much more rare and usually just has to do with the spelling, haha.

Short answer, yes I love learning the meaning of my names and that theyā€™re sometimes words or the name of someone famous.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been naming my characters after cities for a while now. And not just Paris or London.

2 Likes

interesting 0.0

1 Like

I need to know if you have these characters:

• Llano
  • Amarillo
  • Waco
  • College Station (This one is up here as a joke)
  • Dallas
  • (Fort) Worth (I know a Worth)
  • Denver (I also know a Denver)
  • Gaston (real city, not just Beauty and the Beast!)
  • Augusta (actually not a bad name)
2 Likes

Not yet, most of the characters named this way have their namesakes in Mainland China.

• Shanghai
  • Shenzhen
  • Chengdu
  • Beijing
  • Luoyang
  • Xiā€™an
1 Like

that sounds like a nickname Iā€™d give a character who sleeps around a lot :sweat_smile:

I know a lot of fun names in real life like Sterling Silverā€¦ And you just gave me an idea for a thread!

1 Like

I donā€™t remember reading a book with an MC sharing my name, though the probability of finding one would go up if I read more Spanish or Latino books :joy:

As for characters with names of people I know irl, it usually doesnā€™t affect me much since their personalities arenā€™t similar usually

I think if I did find an important character with my name, my reaction would depend on how similar they are to me :thinking: itā€™d range from ā€œOh dang thatā€™s meeeā€ to neutral to cringing while reading

1 Like

What I got from this is you would still read the book like a trooper xD. Good for you! Once I start cringing it just doesnā€™t stop and Iā€™m like yeah thereā€™s no point in continuing lol.

1 Like