UPDATED!! Ask me about characters, magick, setting, and I'll ask you, too

The only episode I have of them fighting about something is Tendri, when she was four or five, had this quirk of running on all fours. Tiny children go through a “four-legged” phase where they go from crawling around on their bellies to getting up on four legs…but Kattaluna are bipeds, so they have to learn to stand. Tendri went from standing to back down to four-legged because she taught herself how to run faster.

Pinti would see how others reacted to Tendri and ridiculed her. Tendri liked the attention. Pinti would get embarrassed. So, for family image, she would tell Tendri to not “walk like an animal” and then one day they had a fight about it.

Toys that could move if you turn a pully or crank something. A pully system to get water from deeper down a well. A support for older farmers to bend over when harvesting herbs (in the works). A wooden box-pouch thing that, with the pull of a lever, can open compartments so that herbs won’t get mixed up inside (in the works).

I also had a glimpse at her sketchbook and I think she might be trying to come up with a way to extend the roof for citizens to sit outside on the ground during summer.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I like everyone :stuck_out_tongue:

Apart from the mains, I like the Arzonshua brothers. Aln, Kirlan, and Valan. They all have such different personalities yet are similar in a way. Among them, I do like Kirlan the best. He was initially supposed to be an only child. He’s really caring and has a big heart. He’s also a well-trained Hunter-Warrior. Can’t be fooled by his soft demeanor. I like him because he’s just so nice :stuck_out_tongue:

You know you hear about these people who are just so nice all the time? They appear in the news as doing a good deed just because they like to make someone’s day or whatever. It’s like the word “mean” has never existed in their minds. They won’t fight because they’re angry. It’s never personal gain. They fight for others and especially that special someone. But they also never boast and are always humble.

That’s Kirlan. The kindness character.

Least favorite in what way? :smirk: Hard to write would be Pinti. I had such a hard time figuring her out, she was my least favorite for a while despite being the main character.

In terms of the character would be Kalis. She’s the leader of the swamp Prendai clan and your typical problematic attention-seeker. She also is one of those “bad moms” in that she would exploit children left and right. She also treats children as adults, so if they do something bad, the punishment is the same harshness as what adults get. She’s like a dictator almost. She’s just bad. No one should like her.

Born with. If you have no magick, well, too bad :woman_shrugging:

Editing has been going great so far :grin: I’m actually having to rewrite and edit at the same time. If you go to my recent posts on the Struggling Writers thread you can see me talk about it more.

There have been some drastic changes compared to the previous version (on Wattpad). Pinti’s story used to start at a younger age (12) and she didn’t get to actually be a clan leader before her family was murdered. Now, Pinti starts at a much older age (16) and is the clan leader. The story goes on to introduce more character relationships within the clan, too. Makes more sense to the plot this way.

I also used to have a strange thing going on with the Ilvagi and Kattaluna relationships. It used to be so complicated to explain, so I simplified it. There really is no need for their relationship to be the way it was before.

Good luck with your editing! I’ll be back with more questions :wink:

1 Like

Hi :grin:

If you see this, Pinti, Kirlan, Aln, and Chardi are grinning at you from behind the trees, waiting for you to join them in the Moon Forest.

@Novel_Worm

• What is the most common form of transportation?
  • What do the rich do for leisurely entertainment?
  • What’s the medical system like? How advanced is medicine?
  • What’s a big cultural taboo in Arya?

@lowarlo

• How does a spirit cafe work? What do they do?
  • Does everyone know about the spirit cafe?
  • Can anyone go there?
  • What does Talwyn look like?

@alenatenjo

• I remember vaguely, you had a bunch of planets?
  • Tell me about your favorite one and what is unique about it.
  • If I’m wrong, tell me about a creature you created for your world that you are proud of want to share.
  • I remember your characters are like, eons old, right? Why are they so old? Are they immortal or just long-living? Do they age slowly or the same as us?

@qualeshia3

• What are you working on now and what do you like about it?
  • If you could swap lives with one of your characters, who would it be and why?
  • If you could live in any of your fictional nations, where would you live and what will you do there?
1 Like

Updated original post and blurb if you’d like to take a look.

Yes

Geez only one? :joy:
I don’t think I have a favourite. And they’re all unique in their own ways. Got worlds made of fire, worlds made from ice, worlds with a lot of land, worlds with no land, worlds that are toxic to us, worlds with more than one sun, the list goes on.

That’s a tricky one. I have more species than beasts :thinking:
I think my favourite would be the Thunderbirds. They’re giant, sparkly, phoenix-like birds that are the top predator of Lyriumia (one of the God Worlds).

Some are, but very few. The only things that fall under that category are the First Beings, Primordials, Elementals and the Beast

Different species have different life expectancies. Some are old, some are new, some have similar lifespans to us, some have slightly longer, some have far longer. It depends on the species

Most of them are just long living. Some are immortal.

This is a tricky question to answer.
Time is relative. Wherever you are, you experience it as “normal”. Add on top of that the fact that these are all different species with different life expectancies. So, depending on the species and where (or when) you’re looking from, they can age the same as us or they can age slower than us or they can even age faster than us

1 Like

Walking. Most people don’t need to go all that far, so they walk. For the special, rich people, though, there’s this thing called a ‘palkhi’ (pronounced paal-khee) which is basically a small curtained chamber of wood carried by 2-4 people on their shoulders.

So in this world, reading is rich people privilege, even reading news. So is playing board games, which is one of the ways in which the court negotiates things. They also watch hired entertainement, dancers, jokesters, the like.

Herbal, mostly. But it’s still very developed and scientific. (There’s an actual branch of medicine called Ayurveda, which is ancient Indian medicine, and there are certified doctors practicing only Ayurvedic medicine. There are degrees and the like for this in India at least, don’t know about the rest of the world.) The rich can afford to imbibe their treatements with magic, which makes the treatements work better and faster by quite a bit.

Not in all of Arya, but in the bureaucratic, rich circles, disobeying your husband or father is considered a sin. In the poorer circles, however, women are treated more equally, because their conditions mean the women have to go to work as well, and the women there get a chance to prove their worth.

Questions for you:
What was Pinti’s education like?
How did she learn to use her magic?
Does she make any friends with her ‘enemies’? Say a rival clan or the Ilvagi?
Are Hybrids more or less powerful than pure races? How are their powers decided?
How are interracial couples or friends treated?
What is Elgana’s education system like?

1 Like

@alenatenjo

Please elaborate :stuck_out_tongue: How does this work? What does it have if not land?

That sounds cool! What color are they? How long do they live? How big do they get? Are they quite common?

Are these like spirits? Or fairies? What do Elementals do?

Why do they have long lifespans? Do they heal quickly? Not get sick? Move slowly?

I suddenly wondered how long sloths live and why turtles live for so long :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s mind-bending science right there XD

Would you prefer to live a long life without suffering with sickness but where you do eventually die of old age, or would you prefer an eternal life where you never die, but you do get sick and have to suffer?

You can answer the above yourself, or you can pick a character and answer for them.

Interesting :thinking: I definitely have seen those in movies. The people who carry them in your story, are they servants of the rich people? Or is there a business that provides people who do that as their full job? Like a taxi service?

Then…those who are not rich, are illiterate? Can the lower class people read and write at all?

I have heard of that :grin: I think many parts of the world have some kind of ancient medicinal practices. Like Chinese medicine, Shamanic rituals that are for healing…can’t think of any others.

Quite a bit, huh? Can they completely heal a broken bone? Get rid of poison? Is there any injury or sickness that not even magic can heal?

I like this! I’ve heard about this similar situation back in the 1800s to early 1900s in Europe where women in poorer areas were not so discriminated against as we might think.

a tangent

When their husbands went to war, they would do the jobs their husbands were doing. So, like, being a smith or carpentry, any job traditionally for men were given to the wives. So, women weren’t just being midwifes or seamstresses and being discriminated against. In fact, some women made a name for themselves in the villages after they took over their husband’s jobs after the husbands died in the war. They were much respected.

1 Like

Water planets, lava planets, liquid planets, gas planets. They are actual things :tipping_hand_woman:

They come in every metallic colour there is but mostly in gold and silver. They get MASSIVE (easily taller than a five story building), They are common. Top of the food chain. But they don’t leave their homes unless they have to or want to.

Elementals are a sub-category of the Deities. They come as First Beings, Primordials and Elementals. The Elementals are the very essence of the elements. Every element in Creation, whether it also be a deity or not, comes from the Elementals

This only applies to the First Beings, Primordials and Elementals. They were created by something Beyond and are the creatures that made Creation. So long as they exist, Creation exists. They can’t be killed from any known form. They don’t get sick as far as I know and it’s very hard to injure them. And they move at the same rate as normal people

The Beast is a little more complicated. It actually came from Beyond into Creation. No one knows who made it or how old it really is, only that it sleeps in the Sun of the God Worlds.

:joy:

Welcome to the wonderful world of adding theoretical physics, quantum mechanics, and M-theory to your writing :joy: the parents are still trying to get me to major in a “real degree” like Astrophysics because I do a lot in my free time

This is actually the situations for my main characters. They’re all immortals and can’t die through any natural means, but they can still get sick and injured, and feel pain

Honestly, I don’t know which I’d prefer. But since a short and painful life is the one I’m stuck in, I don’t have much of a choice at all :sweat_smile:

1 Like

She went to school from 6-10, then was pulled out of school early to be homeschooled and trained by her father to one day become clan leader. She can read and write in Universal, Kattalunan, and she taught herself how to read and tailsign ancient Kattalunan as kind of like a hobby with her friends.

Her father taught her how to meditate and that’s how Kattalunae access their magick. Pinti also learned how to find that warmth feeling inside of her quickly without having to fully meditate. She has to swiftly put herself in a calm state. This became easier and easier as she practiced. As for healing, her father also taught her the basics before his magick faded. Pinti then learned through practice.

Yes, with the Ilvagi. Actually he’s introduced early in the story. Pinti made friends with Thornwings a.k.a Thorn. It’s an illegal, secret friendship. She shares this secret with her Kattaluna friends. As for the rival clan, not exactly friends, but she does learn to work together with a swamp clan warrior.

Native Elganians and Humans made Hybrids. They are just another race of Elgana. The thing about them is that they are no different from Humans, only that they have animal-like features and are typically taller than Humans. Just like Humans, sometimes Hybrids can be born with magick, and with the genes to access the magick in the air, making them Sorcerers.

How friends are treated in Elgana

So, it does depend on where you live. Sorcerers like Sorcerers, so it doesn’t matter if you are a Hybrid or a Human. As long as you’re a Sorcerer, it’s fine. No one will say anything.

But Sorcerers do not like non-magical races. If you are a Sorcerer who is friends with a non-magical creature, the non-magical creature is likely to be treated poorly by other Sorcerers (torture, ridicule, berating, etc.), and the Sorcerer will be discriminated against (name-calling, ridicule, ostracization). The term citizens like to use is “abomination” which comes from a time when Sorcerers first came about in Elgana.

Interesting, huh? Sorcerers take a word that was used to discriminate against them, to then discriminate against others.

But let’s say you are a Human who is friends with a fox-human Hybrid. Your fellow Humans will probably be like “eh, he’s weird for being friends with THAT” or just not care. Humans are well aware that it was their ancestors that created Hybrids. Hybrids who are friends with Humans are treated the same by fellow Hybrids.

Interractial couples among Humans, Hybrids, and Sorcerers

Couples are another story. Interracial couples don’t truly exist among Humans, Hybrids, and Sorcerers because their common ancestry is Humans and native Elganians and they are well aware of that. Sorcerers didn’t have to become a separate race because they are Humans and Hybrids just with magical abilities and longer lives. If any couples happen among Humans, Hybrids, and Sorcerers, no one thinks much of it.

Couples and friends among Ilvagis and Kattalunae

It’s unlikely for Ilvagis and Kattalunae to couple up with other races or each other mainly because they have been enemies for centuries. If any love or friendship did spark, both their races would go against them. That’s why Pinti has kept secret her friendship with Thorn.

I would guess, if they were found out, they would both be severely punished and their titles will be taken away. Pinti, because Kattalunae are under the control of Ilvagis, might suffer more than Thorn. Might lose a limb :grimacing:

Depends on what your race is and where you live, but everyone must learn Universal and at least be able to speak it or sign it. It’s been long enough since it’s introduction that there isn’t a single soul who can’t at least speak a few words to get around.

Children aren’t forced to go to school. Parents can choose to homeschool and depending on the race and class, homeschooling is sometimes encouraged. Some Hybrids still retain a tribal system, so the chief would appoint someone to teach the children.

Humans and Hybrids have an education system which ends at a local high school level. They follow an apprentice-mentorship style after that. So, I don’t think they have a university. They have specialized academies like police academy or fashion/textile academy.

Pursuing your passion and being yourself means you are more able to contribute to society in a positive way (and potentially decrease crime), so Elganians very much encourage children to pursue what they want.

Not every parent is, of course, flexible like this (especially a difficult thing for Sorcerers to keep up), but most Elganians won’t mind if the child does not pursue what the parents are doing. Exploration is important.

I highlighted that part because…I phrased Elgana’s value so nicely for the first time XD

1 Like

Like Neptune? What lives there?

They sound so pretty :grin: Would you care for a drawing? :wink:

I see… what are the uncommon, rare, or dangerous ones?

That’s so cool :grin: I like unknown things with potentially great power.

So, who discovered it? How do people know that it’s there?

:face_with_spiral_eyes:
I’ve never heard of M-theory before… Care to explain it to a noob? Just really simply. And how it relates to your story.

When you get the chance, some questions for me? :wink:
You can make me repeat myself, it’s fine and welcomed :grin:

1 Like

No idea. Haven’t entirely finished figuring it out yet :joy:

If you can draw, sure! I have no artistic skills on animals

They’re all unique. None are really dangerous. That’s not how it works

The Beast of the Sun was discovered aeons ago by a woman named Bellanaga. Scans of the Sun are done to this day to keep an eye on it. It’s said that the day the Beast awakens from its slumber is the day that Creation will fall to the Endfire.

Because it was discovered so long ago, a lot of people think it’s just a story but there are still a lot of people who know it’s real.

Multiversal theory. It kind of ties into the idea of the 10-12 dimensions. We are somewhere between the third and fourth dimension. We experience length, width and depth, and we also experience time but can’t actually interact with it meaning that while we have a perception of the fourth dimension, we can’t touch it. The higher in M-theory you go, the more possibilities open up to see universes beyond our own. You can see ones that have different laws of mechanics and ones that have different origins.

I’ve been into astrophysics since I was 3 so this stuff is pretty general knowledge for me :sweat_smile:

The God Worlds in my stories are at the centre of what we call the Megaverse (many multiverses (multiverse is many universes; universes are many dimensions. it can be complicated)) and are on what’s thought to be the second higher dimension well beyond the 10-12 we currently have theorized. The original inhabitants of the God Worlds (Lyriumians and Terpolites) can travel to the Lower Planes which contain the uni-and-multiverses through creating tears in the Walls of the Worlds. But this is kinda dangerous because they have to go through the In-Between. That and the Walls are the only thing protecting Creation from Void

Sure :+1:

What’s a bipedal feline? Sounds like some sort of cat and definitely looks like one according to your very cool drawing. And is luna magic like moon magic? How does it work?

Who made the barrier? What’s it for?

Oooooo can you tell me more about these?

Wondering if you got this idea from the Tangled animated series :joy:

Is the pendant important?

1 Like

:eyes:

What got you interested in it?

Did you watch Interstellar? (I’ve seen it three times and watched a lot of videos explaining the science in simple terms)

A feline that walks on two legs, has opposable thumbs, and can talk with the same intelligence as a human. Kattaluna are blue feline bipeds with stripes and manes. There have been other bipedal felines in history which have gone extinct.

Lunar magick 101 perhaps

Lunar magick is moon magick, but might not be like what you’d find online. It’s magick from the moon. It’s like moon energy. Light magick, basically, in contrast with shadow magick. Only Kattaluna, the blue feline bipeds, can use it as their (now extinct) royals used to worship it.

It’s basically healing magick at its roots. It can also ward shadows and darkness away by shooting beams of lunar light. It’s warm and can become quite hot appearing more like lightning sometimes. It can also gently warm things like a blanket. If you surround yourself in lunar light, you can protect yourself against the cold.

Usually activated by meditation, and can be projected by saying spells or just by concentrating on what you want to do.

The Ilvagis made it to keep Kattaluna from leaving their homeland.

Ilvagi 101. Enjoy.

Ilvagis are shapeshifting shadow beasts born from the shadows of lava. They are born as like cellular creatures (like amoeba) without any thought of their own and act as a collective. Only the stronger ones that come on top are granted individuality in differing levels as they progress. The individuality is explained as a kind of magick that is provided by the ruling king (that no one knows how it first came to be).

The more individuality, the more the Ilvagis can gain things like their own name, have their own opinions, and become a leader of some army division. The ones with high individuality can also shapeshift into whatever they want and retain that shape for however long they want. The lower the individuality, the shorter the time.

Ilvagis have a default shape of a black smoke blob with red pupilless eyes which no weapon can harm. Only lunar magick can hurt them. Those who cannot shapeshift are this default shape all the time. The lower and lower you go, they look like black transparent goop with red pupilless eyes and they crawl, eat each other, and are treated and act like simple cattle.

One Ilvagi. Two Ilvagis. They speak Ilvagien and Universal. They have genders which I haven’t decided yet if they can change their bodies to be more biologically male or female. They have “neutral” meaning without any reproductive system. Most Ilvagis are neutral because they don’t need to reproduce. I think maybe over time, to reflect the world around them, they take on gender roles.

They live in the Sixth Ring which is the outermost torus planet of the collective of six torus planets that make up Elgana. It is lava land in the south, and freezing cold up north. And the air is super toxic. Only Ilvagis can survive here.

Didn’t even know Tangled had an animated series XD

There are seven important stones in Elgana. The moonstone is one of them. It’s actually the most important :eyes:

It is, yes. It will be. I’m gonna make it XD

1 Like

My parents are STEM majors so Ive been exposed to it a lot since I was born :sweat_smile: We live somewhere you get a really good view of the sky. Had a lot of astronomy books as a kid and it just kinda went on from there. I now have a lot of books on astrophysics, astronomy, quantum mechanics, m-theory, string theory, all that stuff.

It really comes in handy with my worldbuilding because it gave me some groundwork. I just made my worlds on top of it and played around with a few concepts. It is all theorietical after all :wink:

There was also inspiration from some popular scifi shows. And some not scifi shows.

A lot of the dimensional law I got from Doctor Who. The higher planes I got from Stargate. Some of the designs I got from both. Rifts I got from multiple shows. Jump Points I got from Guardians of the Galaxy. A lot of the designs I got from anime. Most of them come from YuGiOh, Bakugan and Log Horizon. A lot of the world building designs I got from cartoons like Winx, Ben 10, Secret Saturdays, Generator Rex, Young Justice. Yknow, the good ones

It is funny, though. Because my characters are from a place Above, most of what people call magic is just science Lower Beings havent figured out yet. I get a lot of good excuses in explaination because of this :joy:

The whole Beyond thing is another level which is where it gets very complicated

Nope, never seen it :joy: But i have seen a lot of scifi shows

What made that happen?

Why do the Ilvagis want them to not leave?

Sounds like some of the healing magic/technomagic my characters use :sweat_smile:

Are spells common in your world?

Just to clarify, you mean lava as in molten rock, right?

Who is the ruling king? Are they important? What can they do?

Reminds me of the Umbra from my books :sweat_smile:

Why only luna magick?

This is a very interesting idea :hushed:

What are the other planets like?

The Moonstone is the opposite power to the Sundrop Flower. Defs worth the watch

What are the other stones? Why is the moonstone most important?

Wow, okay XD So you’ve had a long sciency childhood, huh? :wink:

Oh you should, if you’re interested. I would love to hear what you think of it! They talk about time and stuff. It’s also a great feel-good movie and with thrill and with awesome, awesome Hans Zimmer scores. As for the sciency stuff, experts were consulted, apparently, and they said some of the theories introduced are not completely out there and actually pretty close to possible science stuff (you can tell I’m out of my comfort zone when I start loading the word “stuff” XD).

Integration with Humans, and native Elganians having weaker genes compared to Humans (meaning if a Human got together with a native Elganian, a Hybrid or Human is born, not a full-on anthro), and loss of magick and power. You could say Humans tried and failed to invade/colonize Elgana, eventually settling on integration.

Well, there was a war and the Ilvagis won and this was actually the first war they won against the Kattalunae. They became super excited but also afraid that the Kattalunae would fight back, so they prevented the Kattalunae from increasing numbers, and wanted to make them lose their magick.

The only Kattalunae permitted by rules to use lunar magick to heal are the clan leaders. Everyone else could use the magick to fight, but without anything to fight, their magick went stale and faded eventually. Soon, the clan leaders began to lose their magick, too. Using it only to heal was not enough to keep that skill working. Magick is like a muscle for some that if they don’t continuously use enough of it, it can fade away.

Yes, quite common :blush: The ones that use them are Ilvagis, Kattalunae, and Sorcerers. They all use some form of runic magick.

Yep. If there’s some shadows near or around it, chances are, an Ilvagi would come crawling out and immediately look for food. The crawlers are always hungry.

“king” in Ilvagien doesn’t only mean a male ruler, but the word they use in Ilvagien sounded like “king”, so then everyone else started calling the ruler, the king. It stuck.

The king is the top, single ruler of all Ilvagis. Their choices, decisions, commands, ideas are what make Ilvagien society work. Since only the high-ranked Ilvagis think for themselves, the rest need commands. They need it so much that if they don’t have any, they actually can go crazy and in extreme cases, they can die. So, the king’s commands are like food for the lower ranks and which keep them sane. They always say, “we live on commands”.

The king makes all the decisions, so they also choose which of the high ranks can be their second-in-command (captain) and one day the captain will be the next king.

Actually considered calling them umbra-something initially :stuck_out_tongue: But I wanted Icelandic consistency. What I mean is, “Kattaluna” name has an Icelandic inspiration mashed up with “lunar” to translate to “lunar cat”, so I wanted to use Icelandic for my shadow race. Ilvagi is actually two Icelandic words mashed up so that it means, “shadow organism” :grin:

Shadow magick’s counterpart is lunar magick. Dark vs light. There’s actually more to this. Shadow magick is destructive. Lunar magick is healing. Destruction vs healing (or regeneration, I suppose).

Let’s start from the center ring:

The other five rings (torus planets)
  1. First Ring: mainly desert plains, mainly Humans and some Hybrids. The biggest portal exists here and distorts time perception. Has a hole in the middle which is darkness and those who go in never return, but there’s a theory it goes to the Underside of Elgana which is thought of as the land of the dead.

2. Second Ring: mainly fields, forests, and some dry plains. Hybrids mostly here. Build tall cities. The main government building exists here.

3. Third Ring: Forest, field, swamp and river, rocky and dry desert. Kattaluna live here.

4. Fourth Ring: Forest, field, lakes, dry plains with sinkholes during wet season. Sorcerers live here. They do get snow here.

5. Fifth Ring: Jail ring. Forests and cold up north with snow. Jail facilities and also open-field jail (meaning, like animals, criminals are kept in a closed-in area but can run around free with trackers).

Off the top of my head,

Sapphire, emerald, padparadscha, citrine, bloodstone, rose quartz (almost couldn’t remember it!), and moonstone. The seven stones of the seven guardians :grin:

The moonstone is the chief guardian’s stone. And he’s as close to a god-like, creator-like position as you can get. His choices and actions directly affect Elgana as a whole. The moonstone is the most important and most powerful for that reason. There is a Lunar Goddess and the moonstone is her gift to him to use freely. So, he does.

I know we’re gonna get into Guardian lore :stuck_out_tongue:

There are always supposed to be seven Guardians of Elgana that make sure Elgana is balanced. They are initially mortals but then the stone chooses them and they become immortal and also gain the powers of a Guardian which are elemental (because the first Guardians were native Elganians who had elemental magick).

I shall return with questions for you later.

1 Like

That’s putting it lightly :joy:

Nah, you’re doing better than a lot. Normally people just look at me like “wtf speak english” :joy:

Ah, yes, that sounds like something Humans would do.

That makes sense

I was about to ask about this but this answered my question :joy: Is there any way they can get their magick back later?

Oooo fun. How does runic magick work?

Very cool. So, you only use Icelandic words for your species? Not like me who mixes and matches :joy:

So there’s no “light” light magic, just luna?

These all sound very cool :heart_eyes: Do you only have six planets?

Wondering what’s made you pick these stones in particular

Why seven? Same question for the stones actually :joy: Why is the number seven so important? What happens if there isn’t seven? Can the stones be destroyed? Can the immortal guardians be killed or lose their power?

:+1:

1 Like

Tailsign? So like sign language, but with tails? Sounds really really interesting. Also where is this language used?

How did they meet? How do they communicate?

Really interesting, actually.

How common is sign language?
Also what different types of disablities are there (say… magical disabilities?)

1 Like

Well, maybe to some extent. But the sad reality is that native Elganians are dying out. It’s not always a happy ending.

Runic magick 101? Sort of

I wonder :crazy_face:

Well, let’s take Sorcerers who use runic magick straightforward. They call out the names of each rune they are going to use in a spell. The sigils leap forward glowing in front of them. The sigils will connect and merge to become one big sigil that can look as complicated as a mandala. The Sorcerer will say the final version of the spell and release the sigil from their magical grasp. That’s the old way.

The modern way is to just say the spell from the start. So, like, instead of saying, “I want to heal this cut here” they say “Iwantohealthiscuthere” as one word and the full sigil pops out and the Sorcerer can use it right away.

Ilvagis and Kattalunae, however, don’t call out sigils. They’re using the most ancient form of runic magick. They call out each runic symbol still within themselves and project only the energy generated from the symbols. So, you never see the final sigil.

I think this difference is because Sorcerers learned to use the magick and had to discover how to control it. Ilvagis and Kattalunae have always known how to use the magick. It comes to them as easily as breathing. They didn’t have to learn to control it.

I don’t know if that answered your question :stuck_out_tongue: Feel free to pick this apart until all I can say is "well, because magick :crazy_face: "

I try. Icelandic, sometimes Latin, Greek, Welsh, or Gaelic. But that’s if I can’t come up with anything Proto-Germanic.

No one is going to care, but I like to be somewhat consistent with my inspiration :stuck_out_tongue:

Lunar.

Yes.

Yep. That’s quite enough for me XD

It’s actually more like one planet because Elgana is a planet made up of those ring planets.

Almost the rainbow :stuck_out_tongue: Also, I did write a separate story that uses gems for magick and…well…couldn’t let all that gem research go to waste. I looked up their meanings and spiritual associations and all that and tried to get ones that would give something like the seven virtues.

Why seven? Can stones be destroyed?

Seven virtues, sort of. The seventh is the moonstone and also the one that is all about balance which is what Elgana is all about. The planet will begin to collapse and everything will become corrupt if balance is lost.

At the time of Lunar Heart, Shadow Bound, there is imbalance and the Guardians are scrambling to get it together.

Lose a stone and/or lose a Guardian, and then the Chief Guardian is like “sigh, well, I guess I need to make it again/appoint one again, darn mortals”. Stones are just stones that hold a special kind of magick. They can be crushed. You can chuck one against a wall and break it.

Can Guardians die? Well,

Guardians can die. In fact, that’s the only way they pass on their Guardian magick to the next prospect Guardian. It’s considered an “honorable death”. Considered. Not saying every Guardian agrees :grimacing: And not saying every Guardian wants to give up their power.

The Chief Guardian can take away the power but this is a little gimmicky for him because he can’t exist in the mortal realm, but the Guardians can. So, if he wants to take something away from them, he has to somehow get them to come to him. If they know what he’s up to, and they don’t want to lose their powers, do you think they would be willing? :sweat_smile: Also, killing a Guardian is generally against Chief Guardian law though the Chief Guardian is powerful enough to kill them.

Can a Guardian be killed?

Yes, by the Chief Guardian or potentially another Guardian. A normal Sorcerer or magical being cannot kill a Guardian. Their magick is more powerful than an Ilvagi or a Sorcerer living for 600 years (Elgana as a planet has been around for 800 so far). They are so powerful that even a severed limb can reattach itself. Magick enables this healing and the more powerful you are, the bigger wounds you can heal and also with more power you can heal faster, live longer…all the overly powerful stuff.

I have a story where a Human gets into a fight with a Guardian and decapitates him. The head and body are connected with a stream of magick energy that brings the head back onto the shoulders. Takes a while and there is blood, but the Guardian can regenerate, and if needed, suck the blood back into the body.

1 Like

Right. You know how cats communicate with their tails? That’s where I got it from :grin:

It is only used among Pinti and her closest friends. No one else has bothered to keep learning it because no one uses it anymore. It’s also quite limited, so Pinti and her friends even made up connecting word signages. They can say “I go to forest. I eat.” But she added, “I go to forest, and then I eat there.” to make communication smoother.

It’s like a secret language between her and her friends and it annoys others who can’t understand what they’re talking about :stuck_out_tongue:

Pinti was like, “I am the wind!” and running through the forest on her own and then she’s not looking where she is going.

Thorn the Ilvagi is like “I feel some unique magick somewhere” and since he is tall, he is not looking down.

They crash into each other.

Pinti and Thorn speak Universal. Thorn has learned a little bit of Pinti’s tailsign.

I’m not sure actually. I do want to explore this in a story some day.

The only thing closest to a magical disability that I have is about a Sorcerer who was late in developing his full magick potential by the appropriate age (in “Lone Gold, Daring Purple”). Cypur’s magick then explodes and kills another Sorcerer on accident.

I can’t remember our question situation. I shall return with some later anyway :grin:

1 Like

I answered a few the last time, and asked these. I’ll ask more when answering!

1 Like

The old way sounds a LOT like how crystal magic works in my stories :rofl:

Man that’s a mouthful

Oooooooo. So you only see the final one when the entire thing is said aloud?

That sounds very cool. The rings make them sound more like moons tho :sweat_smile:

Yup, that’s a good reason. And rainbows are awesome

“darn mortals” is a mood :joy:

Dare I ask why not :eyes:

Baby planet!

Geez they sound very hard to kill. Would probably get bored trying :joy:

It’s a mouthful because I translated the runic tongue. Sounds a lot prettier without translation :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly :grin:

Imagine, you are a mortal, and the Chief Guardian, basically the god of the world chooses YOU as worthy for like, say, the stone of justice, and gives you incredible magical power. Would you give it up so easily? :stuck_out_tongue:

The Human, Kaiver, actually says something along those lines. Not “boring” but more like "they came back to life AGAIN??? :roll_eyes: "