Breaks are good unless you are one of those crazy people who dislike them....

So, when you write your story, do you take small minute breaks, or do you keep it going?
Do you find writing sprints doable or not your thing?

Explain more if you need to.

NOTE: Don’t take the title of the thread too seriously. I was only joking and I need to try and make myself laugh because of today’s events.

2 Likes

So, I dissociate A LOT in my real life. I don’t really ever feel grounded or “in” my body.

Typing and fixating on my writing (sometimes, other times its actually helps me disassociate more) helps me to ground, to focus on something other than my lack of thoughts, or too many thoughts in my head.

Because of that, I do marathons. About 3,000+ words a day if I dedicate myself fully, with small breaks in between where I’ll eat, and watch shows or movies. I don’t have much else to do right now, so I throw most of my time into writing.

3 Likes

So, you’ll write for an entire day with little breaks here and there?

Yeah, although sometimes I forget to take breaks, so it’s just until I finally realize I’ve fallen into exhaustion.
Not healthy at all and would not recommend, lol.

1 Like

Recently I read an article at BookRiot, LitHub, or somewhere like that about how many words a day the most famous writers averaged. For the number of words and the length of time it took to write them, the LoTR trilogy and To Kill a Mockingbird were each written at a rate of 100 words a day, and they say that’s about average–that most writers write about 100 words a day. That’s about a paragraph, and a short one at that, so apparently taking lots of breaks is what writers do. (>‿◠):v:

1 Like

Look, I SQUIRREL! in the middle of the most important sentence of the story. I don’t rhyme or reason it.

2 Likes

Depends on how in the swing of things I am :joy: Some days I can pump out a chapter in the hour. Other days I get maybe 100 words in 5 hours :joy:

2 Likes

Oh wow.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

When I’m in a writing session, I typically do have breaks because I can get easily distracted or tired. They mostly last for five to ten minutes before continuing to write… until I feel as if my writing energy is gone. My main writing sessions last roughly between an hour or two with a few outliers being around the three to four hour mark. And I have had a few times where I don’t take breaks. This is usually when I’m in the zone and the scene has my full attention.

As for writing sprints, I do them occasionally if I get stuck. It’s become a very helpful crutch of mine because it’s super easy to get myself out of the writing slump. I’ve had times where I’ll open up the document and nothing comes out. Or I’ll get to a particular part of the scene and I can’t form the words I want—I know what to write, just don’t know how to write it. Sometimes, it’s also part of my overthinking process. So, in-between my insecurity, blank mind, and overthinking brain… writing sprints instantly gets me out of the funk. I’ll set my timer for fifteen minutes and just go for it. I always recommend it when I see someone who also gets stuck (and tends to ask how they can get unstuck lol).

2 Likes

I find that I work better when I cam sit down for a few hours and write without stopping. When I pause to take breaks I end up getting distracted, going off and doing something else, I forget what I’m writing… It just flows better when I focus for a couple hours.

At the moment I work part time so I get 3/4 ish days to write. So I usually wake up at 6, and start writing from about 7 until I get hungry or until my family starts making too much noise for me to focus. I can get nearly 6 hours of silent writing time in if I keep on time.

A lot of the time, depending how productive I’ve been, I usually carry on writing into the afternoon. So I usually stop writing around 4ish because that’s when my mum gets home from work. All in all I try to have a mock work day 7-4, though my productivity is really hit or miss. Sometimes I can get multiple chapters done, sometimes I’m fighting to just finish a scene :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

So, you’re one of those crazy people I hear oh so much about.
Nah, I am just joking. LOL!

1 Like

Hahah yes, I’m one of those and I’m definitely a little crazy :sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like