BxB/MxM/BL Stories

Aside from Looking, when is the last time you saw:

A) Gay men having a life on TV in their 30s, past the college years, and hooking up?

B) Gay men not acting, or being stereotypes/soft? Like, literally not being forced into a stereotypical box.

C) Gay men not be oversexualized (especially for money)?

In any form of media. I’m curious.

4 Likes

For A and C I got nothing. But B is actually how a lot of gay men are. I’d even fall into that category at times so where as I’d like to see something different it’s not a bad thing for it to be shown.

The way you worded B just doesn’t come out the greatest which is why I answered the way I did.

4 Likes

Some examples, but not many.

In progressive animated shows these days, it’s common for there to be two dads who add nothing but brownie points and you forget they exist. The Loud House, The Owl House, Netflix She-Ra, etc.
It’s kind of flopped in certain shows these days, where the main couple that the fandom likes are lesbian over gay. I do not know why.

1 Like

On TV no one’s allowed to be over 30, so, um, never…?

¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

4 Likes

I liked Jackson West character in Rookie.

2 Likes

OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH

3 Likes

A lot of TV Shows break that rule but none of them are marketed as “queer”

2 Likes

Does my PFP of Yaotl count?

1 Like

I feel the tv shows Young Royals and Heartstopper are the recent gay shows that actually expose the complexities of being queer. Though, I like how they don’t oversexualize them. Considering the actors are pretty young still. It’s difficult to find a proper Western gay tv show. That’s why I prefer the Korean or Japanese manga/anime/tv adaptions more.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that there are gay men who behave like the stereotype suggests, but I think that the media has been pushing stereotypical gay traits to the point that some gay men get left behind because they’re not like that at all.

And I think that social media definitely pushes that as well, along with this whole “soft boy” spiel. A lot of straight guys around that age aren’t like that as well.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that yes, if you naturally are like that, it’s fine but I think that it could end up becoming a dangerous stereotype. Many non-gay men could discriminate against every gay man and think that they’re like this when they’re not.

I don’t want that to happen.

(I tried to phrase this in the best way that I could, and I’m not trying to say that acting that way is a bad thing at all).

1 Like

Virtue signalling and not developing minority characters is really annoying. And leaving them behind is quite dangerous too. If you want to go that route for Brownie points, most people would probably prefer that you didn’t add them in the first place.

2 Likes

There is usually a bit more substance to the main couples, but I must agree.

1 Like

That’s a good, fair point. Oversexualisation of minors. I read somewhere that in one of the Heartstopper graphic novels, someone called Oseman out for them both being topless in bed.

Considering the themes of the story itself, and the fact it came a bit out of left field, I guess that it could be taken as a bit of a nod to the teenage girls reading it and a bit of a fetishisation.

The other side of the argument is that someone will say “yeah, of course they’re gonna be half naked in bed. They’re gonna get it on. At least they weren’t completely naked.”

You can definitely take this both ways.

2 Likes

Plot twist: the adults in Riverdale are holograms. Their ages don’t matter :wink:

2 Likes

If you wanted a fanservice argument, there was literally a time where they went to the beach-I read the comic.

1 Like

Last I checked, Twitter fetishised the hell out of that show :frowning: I still will more like than likely watch it when Sky gets it from HBO though. It seems like it has a good premise too.

2 Likes

Will they call that out too?

1 Like

I saw the fanart on twitter…NEVER AGAIN

1 Like

Probably not.

1 Like

If the art was more realistic, you could make a great case for it.

1 Like