Can someone tell me in simple terms what this word means?

I looked it up once and got so confused.

The word is: Kardashev Scale.

How can I even incorporate that into one of my three novels for a little bit?

So, can anyone tell me, kindly?

3 Likes

Iā€™d never heard of this before now, but from what I gather from the Wiki page, itā€™s a method of measuring a countryā€™s level of technology using energy output as the metricā€¦? ĀÆ\_(ļ­¢)_/ĀÆ

3 Likes

okay okay, so, i made a bad pic but basically the Kardashev Scale, as explained by Harvard, is a measurment of How much power a civilization has compared to How much power is available. So if you have ALL THE POWER AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE you get the highest score. And if you have ALL THE POWER BUT ONLY ON YOUR PLANET you get not as high a score (because there is still power available that you donā€™t have).

plain-white-background

as for how you incorporate it into your writing, thatā€™s for you to decide. I saw a quote from Doctor Who about it while i was searching.

4 Likes

I KNEW MY NEDRDOM WOULD COME IN HANDY ONE DAY :partying_face:

Short version: Itā€™s the level your civilization is on a theoretical universal scale. Itā€™s based on the technological capabilities the civilization has at one time and ranks them. For example: Earth is slowly approaching a Type 1 Civilization

Hereā€™s a really simply explained one :The KARDASHEV Scale (types 0 to VI) ā€“ Veronica Sicoe

I totally do NOT use this in my series at all. Nope. Not even a little

As for putting it into your writing, I donā€™t recommend doing so unless your story has Sci-Fi elements and that itā€™s an important feature

4 Likes

That makes sense. My story is science-fantasy, but I am starting to see that it leans more on the fantasy side of things.

Great, now I need to know if a certain genre exists.

Thanks for answering my question.

2 Likes

So, is there a number on the Kardashev Scale where reaching it is the equivalent of reaching godhood?

2 Likes

yeah, officially the scale only goes up to 3 (or 4?) so a score of 3 or above would be like, universe eater level

2 Likes

Coolā€¦

Universe eater.

Yeahā€¦humanity wonā€™t reach that level in a trillion never years. LOL!

2 Likes

i can also help with this. probably more, tbh, since my certification will be in library science eventually.

2 Likes

lol yeah humanity hasnā€™t even officially hit 1 yet

2 Likes

True. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Is there a such thing as a modern fantasy genre set on a magical fictional planet?

I know urban/low fantasy exist, but those are mostly set on earth.

I am talking about that yet set in a fictional world where modern tech and magic coexist side by side.

Does that exist?

2 Likes

hm, so there are several ways you could label this (which is a statement you could apply to so much sff lol) it mostly comes down to personal preference rather than hard rules.

Since youā€™re specifying ā€œdifferent planetā€ that would be high fantasy, because it takes place somewhere other than Earth. Or, if Earth still exists and your characters are from Earth and simply get transported to this other planet, that would be Crossworlds fantasy.

As far as the level of technology goes, there are lots of subgenres it could fit into. Futuristic fantasy is one, it has a lot of scifi overlap because of the advanced technology that gets included. Arcanepunk is another, if the magic and the tech are butting heads. Contemporary fantasy would probably fit best if youā€™re writing it with a modern level of tech.

So, i would say
Genre: Fantasy
Subgenres: Contemporary, High (or contemporary, crossworlds)

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for letting me know.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Mineā€™s also science-fantasy but its a little more scifi. But, yeah, if the Scale works in the context of your story and is actually an important feature that will be mentioned, then use it

1 Like