CJ, why did everything break? [[Forum outage and issues April 8-11]]

Yep gonna cross my fingers on this one… :joy: :crossed_fingers:

I need to ask for some clarification though. I have something important that I want to post today or tomorrow, and considering that we still got like, half a day away from the schedule, then I could have post it before the maintenance, or after all is done. My question is how long the maintenance will last? And in case I did posted something before the maintenance, are our messages going to vanish again? Just wanna ask in case you can offer some advice here, because if there are risk that our post might get deleted again, then I might delay my event for another day.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work and good luck! :wave:

4 Likes

I’m not sure. It’s why I’m starting it early in the evening instead of later like I usually do.

No, part of the reason for the read only state will be to back up all existing posts before the rebuild.

8 Likes

I think I have found most of our missing images (which won’t be up yet because of where they’re currently stored) but this update and rebuild tonight should remap them to the forum. :crossed_fingers:

Remember, that read-only state is happening in about half an hour.

10 Likes

Hey… CJ…? Is there a reason my profile pic would only show up in certain places even after I re-uploaded it? Cuz I can see it on the icon where my notifications are, but nowhere else, and I’m a bit confused and emotionally attached to the pfp.

Edit: Apparently there are some people who can see my profile pic, so I’m super confused :cry:

4 Likes

It has to do with a combination of browser caching and images still being propagated.

2 Likes

Okay… So you’re saying if I clear my cache it might come back?

2 Likes

That’s only about 50% of the reason, but it’s possible.

2 Likes

Well, it didn’t work, but thanks CJ!

It should come back eventually, though… Right?

2 Likes

So I’ll give you a bit of a longer explanation. When you upload an image, the server automatically builds 5-8 “optimized” images that show up around the forum, like your picture next to your posts or on our list of users. I double-checked your uploaded image, which is on the server, but it looks like the server hasn’t re-updated all your optimized images yet. That’s why you can see it here:

Because that optimized image is working (you’ll notice when I quoted you, your pfp showed up there, too).

But I’ll double-check to make sure it re-optimizes for you once the rest of our server process batch is completed (we have a backlog of about 40k processes right now).

3 Likes

That makes sense…

But yeah, take your time! No rush lol I just got really confused cuz for a little while (as in like- Two hours), I had a different pfp, but then I missed my soda cap so switched back, but still couldn’t see it and kinda freaked out…

Sorry about that!

3 Likes

No worries! I’m sure you’re not the only one. :wink:

See, got it all safe. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@eggs

I have to put the forums in read-only and do a quick rebuild (should only be down for 2-3 minutes).

18 Likes

Images are still loading. As I explained above, the forum has to re-create several versions of each person’s avatar to display around the forums. It’s loading, slowly but surely.

20 Likes

For those of you who like to see this stuff, I did another rebuild because:

In the last hour (from time of this post), our CPU usage has been HIIIIIIGH.

We have 4 dedicated CPUs, so that’s a lot.

Also high memory usage (8GB).

So I rebuilt to fix some process configurations on the backend to hopefully not max out our CPUs and RAM and get things working faster again.

10 Likes

If after 2021-04-16T16:00:00Z you haven’t seen your avatar reappear yet, please post here and request a manual update and I’ll take care of it.

12 Likes

Is it the time yet? My avatar is still missing. Should I reupload it or wait a while?

1 Like

At this point you can reupload. If it doesn’t show up let me know so I can go looking for it.

2 Likes

@CJtheSiteWizard The banner looks incredible! I almost thought I was looking at my Wattpad homepage banners, if not for the colors lol

5 Likes

I went ahead and manually pushed through your avatar, you should be able to see it now (you may need to refresh or clear your cookies/cache first though).

1 Like

@eggs i need to do a quick server restart so I’ll be putting forums in read only for a few minutes.

28 Likes