Coding 101

I don’t need to be tagged either, I have the thread on Watching :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t expect so many people to volunteer. Hm… well, I’ll see where the poll’s majority is by the time it’s time to post the next assignment up. So far, break the tags is winning.

3 Likes

But five people are willing to not be tagged which means for the people who voted to break the tags it wouldn’t really affect them and it would be slightly easier for you.

3 Likes

Breaking the tags and tagging 10 people takes the same amount of time for me, so I’m just going with what the majority option in the poll is.

3 Likes

ok then

3 Likes

Unit 6: Multi Column Threads

Calling all students!

@flyingCouch @lst-my-shp-sil @greekmyth @merinnie @Theora @deathinreverie @Forever_D_A @ValKayRee @dumplingbabe @hazelnuttys @panaceia @JJJ000YYY @Nablai @keen @W.L.Ink

I hope you all enjoyed your week off because it’s time to jump back into the thick of things. Remember how in assignment three, I mentioned that we’d be talking more about the display property from display: block; later in the course? Well, today is the day to delve deeper into this property.

The display property is important as it specifies what you can do with your code. Normally, by default, the span tag has a display value of inline. You may have noticed if you don’t include display: block;, you are unable to change the width or height of your span box. When you include display: block; in your code, you’re telling the span to behave differently.

There are three commonly used values for the display property but for now, we’ll just be focusing on two of them: inline and block for the sake of simplicity. To start with, here’s a visual explanation:

As I said, by default, the span tag uses display: inline;. You might be wondering if there’s a tag that uses display: block; as its default and that would be the div tag. It’s not really relevant for forum coding but if you decide to code elsewhere, you’ll be able to use the div tag in the same ways as the span tag with the display: block; specified in its inline CSS. Forum coding is broken, yes.

Now, let’s dive into the third type that you can use: display: inline-block;. As the name suggests, it combines some of the properties of display: block; and display: inline;. Instead of each span starting on a new line like it does with display: block;, the elements stay side by side when possible. However, unlike with display: inline;, you can give them a specified width and height. In some ways, inline-block; gives you a greater flexibility when coding:

(Recommended further reading: click here)

For this week’s assignment, design something that uses display: inline-block;. It can be as simple as two squares side-by-side that are both different colors or it can be as complex as a thread design. Let your curiosity and your imagination guide you. There is no right or wrong answer.

Direct reply to this message with your submission by September 28th 6pm PDT. Grades will be given shortly. If, at any point during this assignment you wish to ask a question, feel free to tag me and ask!

12 Likes

Sorry for being late. I forgot what day it was today, oof.

7 Likes

Also… let me know if that assignment is too hard? I notice no one submitted yet. o.o

5 Likes

I can submit right now actually but…want to check some things and play around. So far, so good.

4 Likes

Ah, okay. You all have been so quiet this week, so I figured a check-in wouldn’t hurt. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I noticed that too so it’s all good :blush:

4 Likes

I was going to try to play around with it this weekend when I’m not so busy.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s fine! I’m just wondering if people have questions.

3 Likes

You are my star.

You are my moon.

You are my sky.

https://pastebin.com/cGZdp8xc

7 Likes

the graphics :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

thank you~

3 Likes

Oh, waitttt, sorry

4 Likes
Graphics Offered

Covers Character AestheticsBanners Character Art Story Ads Landscape Art Stickers Watermarks Logos
TOTALLY GOING TO USE THIS ONE DAY

:rose: Pastebin

Oh my gosh, I always forget. I might have to post a sticky note on the monitor or something. 4 more classes…

4 Likes

At least you remembered before it was too late.

2 Likes

Dino.Unicorn.Planet.

(っ◔◡◔)っ

7 Likes