Coding 101

PASTEBIN
6 Likes

hey.
hey.
hey.

Pastebin

5 Likes

I believe this display actually works for me. This is really nice!

Pastebin

4 Likes

Less than 2 hours left to turn in assignment 6.

4 Likes

TEAM

Seven

“Seven” has the link, sorry it’s not too obvious :sweat_smile: I changed it a tiny bit so that it was

6 Likes

Unit 7: Span Sandwich

Calling all students!

@flyingCouch @lst-my-shp-sil @greekmyth @merinnie @Theora @deathinreverie @ValKayRee @hazelnuttys @panaceia @JJJ000YYY @Nablai @keen @W.L.Ink

Today’s assignment is a bit more tricky than our past few ones, so be sure to start this as soon as you can. On a somewhat related note, if you find yourself unable to keep up with the assignments, please let me know as soon as possible. There is no shame in dropping from this coding class. It’s not even a real class. It’s just a thread on a writing forum. It won’t hurt your future to drop. Real life comes first.

Up until this point, we’ve been able to do most of our coding with only a few spans. And while, that is okay, coding becomes much more advanced when you begin the art of nesting. Nesting is when you take a span and put it inside of another span. Here is a very basic example of what I mean:

<span style="font-size:; display: block; background-color: tomato; height: 100px;"><span style="font-size:; display: block; background-color: mediumseagreen; height: 50px;">&nbsp;</span>

When posted as code, the above chunk would look like the following:

This is an example of span nesting, or as I lovingly call it, a span sandwich. The span with background-color: tomato; is called the parent while the span with background-color: mediumseagreen; is the child. Any code that you specify in the parent span will also be applied to the child. Example: You specify color: gold; in the parent but not in the child and then you add text to the parent and the child span. Guess what color both of them will be? That’s right. Gold.

Take as much time as you need to play around with this before you submit. Once you feel comfortable, be sure to include all of the following in your design (yes, I will be checking these when I grade):

a minimum of 4 spans (2 of which must be child spans)

your choice of background-image or border-image (check unit 4 for a refresher)

minimum two different fonts used in the design (list of websafe fonts can be found here)

at least 3 different colors that don’t make me go blind (color palettes can be found here and here)

Direct reply to this message with your submission by October 5th 6pm PDT. Grades will be given shortly. If, at any point during this assignment you wish to ask a question, feel free to tag me and ask!

10 Likes

Edited: I can’t read, disregard the parent/child question.

4 spans is a total of 4 different codes (but combined into one)? (So 4 of these <span style=> blah </span> ?)
& do you need to close out each span with </span>

2 Likes

4 sets of <span> and </span> tags.

3 Likes

How do you do this?
<span style=> blah
This image:

Hope I’m making sense here, Lumi?

2 Likes

@astrophile I suggest you add the link of unit 4 so that people don’t have to scroll to post #232 :smile: Something like this:
● your choice of background-image or border-image (check unit 4 for a refresher)

2 Likes

Post 6 has links to all of the past assignments.

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you’re asking.

2 Likes

Wait, this one:

Like how do you write code in the open and keep it as it is

2 Likes

Thanks Lumi! :smile:

2 Likes

You highlight your code and then click the icon to the right of the quote icon in the tool bar. The icon looks like this: </>

2 Likes

Like this:
<span style="font-size: 13px; background-position: center; display:

Thanks a lot, Lumi! :heart:

2 Likes

- Types of Anime - Shounen Shoujo

- Daily Reminders - Drink Water
Eat a Snack
Write
Read Something
Know That You Are Loved
And Most Importantly:
Love Yourself

Inky Code

Decided to turn in my assignment early for a change :sweat_smile: I also had two ideas in mind for this assignment and couldn’t choose so I went with both lol

7 Likes

randomness
flowers
clouds

boop

9 Likes

Preferred Name:
Opal

Why do you want to learn coding?
It think it would be a great creative outlet.

Have you read the rules?
Ya.

Can you commit at least one hour a week to this?
Yes, I can!

Is there anything in particular you wish to learn?
You willing to teach us JavaScript?

Anything else I should know?
Nope!

2 Likes

I’m sorry but since the class is more than half over, I am not accepting new students at this time. You’re welcome to lurk and do the assignments on your own and post it in The Coding Playground (no talking to others allowed there) or The Coder’s Society (talking to others allowed here). However, you will not be added as a formal student.

3 Likes