Coding 101

Sounds good. Best of luck with your exam!

3 Likes

METHOD 1

RAINING

10 Likes
I used "span nesting to the max"

Crashing into my world,
Making it so bright,
Until my thoughts swirled,
A blinding light…

You are the shooting star
I can only admire…
From afar.

pastebin

4 Likes

Method 1:

Wow… Just Wow.

Method 2:

I’m really impressed.With this code.

Method 3:

This is niceLooks good

Pastebin :smile:

3 Likes

Unit 10: Additional Information

Calling all students!

@flyingCouch @greekmyth @Theora @ValKayRee @JJJ000YYY @Nablai @W.L.Ink

Welcome to our last assignment of the course! Can you believe that we’re almost done already? I hardly can. It feels like just yesterday that I posted the first assignment for you all to do. Anywho, this assignment will just be filled with small coding fun facts I couldn’t manage to fit into earlier assignments. Compared to mobile responsiveness, this should be a walk in the park for everyone.

Feel free to do as little or as much as you’d like. There are no set requirements this time. Click on the name of the property/concept to learn more about it, including syntax and proper usage!

1. text-shadow

Can you see the red shadow behind these words?
2. box-shadow

This box has a gray shadow.
3. overflow

words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words
4. transform

These words are upside down. Can you still read them?
5. text-align

These words are perfectly centered, woo!
6. cursor

If you’re on a computer, hover your cursor over this box and watch as your cursor changes from an arrow to another shape! (The shape I’m using for this example is called “crosshair” but more exist, too!)
7. CSS Gradients

So, for this one, while you can learn how to code and make it yourself, there are some handy websites out there where you can look at pretty colors and then get part of the code already written with just a click of the mouse. You’ll get something that looks like this: background-image: linear-gradient( 110.6deg, rgba(179,157,219,1) 7%, rgba(150,159,222,1) 47.7%, rgba(24,255,255,1) 100.6% );, which you can easily add to your inline CSS. I recommend this site and this other site, for starters, but there are probably more websites out there that you can use.

Look at how pretty this background is! It’s a gradient! It’s super duper cool!
8. border-radius

We covered border-radius back in unit 4, but there’s still more that you can do with it that we didn’t go over before. Mainly… circles! To do a circle, you use percentages instead of pixels as your unit and you use 50% as the value. So, the property-value pair would look like this: border-radius: 50%

Circle
9. position

So… I’m not confident enough with how I use this property to be able to explain it but basically, it gives you a finer control over how content in the code is placed in relation to each other. It comes in handy when making complex threads and it’s something worth at least experimenting once or twice with.

10. HTML Entities

Ever wondered how some people can share raw code in their posts without it… actually turning into something? Something to the effect of seeing <b>text</b> instead of text as you’d expect. Well, there’s a way to “escape” your code so that it doesn’t register as code. There’s a handy dandy site which can escape your code for you automatically, which you can find here. When seeking the help of others with code, knowing how to share your code is very valuable. More entities can be found here.

If anyone has trouble figuring out how to use one or more of the properties above, please reach out to me privately and I’ll walk you through the base codes used to make the examples displayed, if applicable.

I know that was a lot of information but you’re not required to play with everything. Do as much or as little as you’d like. There are plenty of other cool coding things to discover, too, but these are ones that I find to be the most important when it comes to crafting interesting threads. Go forth and explore!

Direct reply to this message with your submission by November 2nd 6pm PST. Grades will be given shortly. If, at any point during this assignment you wish to ask a question, feel free to tag me and ask!

8 Likes

Assignment 9 Reflection

Calling all students!

For the most part, it looks like everyone understood the last assignment, which is a huge relief for me because that’s as hard as coding will ever get. At least when it comes to coding on the forums.

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t be afraid to reach out to me. If you want to discuss your grade, please reach out privately. I’ll be more than happy to clarify something for you, especially if it helps you reach a deeper understanding with the code. Anywho, hope you all have a good week!

Student Name Grade
flyx E
greeky E
theora E
val E
joy S
nab F
ink E
7 Likes

Gradients are pretty.

https://pastebin.com/AqpKYyHN

7 Likes

S O L I V A GA N T
(n.) a solitary wanderer

(adj.) wandering alone

“We are all wandering the Earth, alone, longing to be longed for.”

- William C. Hannan

8 Likes

↠ The cherry blossom story ↞ Early one morning the old woman was out working in her garden when she heard whimpering of a small animal. Among her vegetables she found a new-born, snow-white puppy. She wrapped the puppy in her apron and brought it home. “My dear husband, look what I found in the garden!” The old man was very happy to see the puppy and thought he may be a gift from Heaven. The couple decided to raise the puppy as if he was their own child. They named him Shiro, which meant “white.” The old couple loved Shiro very much. Whenever they had a rice cake or a piece of fish, they would give a half of it to Shiro first, and share the rest themselves. Shiro grew up to be a strong and smart dog. He was an Akita and looked like a small white wolf. The old man took Shiro with him wherever he went. One sunny day, the old man heard Shiro barking for a long time in the field at the back of his house. He went out to see what was going on. Shiro immediately came running, wagging his tail. He caught hold of the end of the old man’s kimono, and tugged him to a shady spot under a tree. There the dog began to dig the ground
with his paws, yelping with joy. “Shiro, what are you doing? Are you trying to dig something out?” The old man went back to the house to fetch a spade, and helped Shiro dig. To his great surprise, after digging for some time, he found a heap of ancient and valuable gold coins buried deep in the ground! “I cannot believe this! Shiro, how did you find this treasure?” Shiro sat there proudly as if to say, “You see, even though I am only a dog, I wanted to repay you for all the kindness you have shown me!” The old man ran to get his wife, and together they carried the treasure home. The gold coins had been buried there by someone hundreds of years ago. The old man and his wife were now wealthy. They would never go hungry again. Everyone said the old man was very lucky. But the old man said, “I’m lucky not because of the money, but because I have such a good friend.” He generously shared his money with all his neighbors. Shiro and the old couple lived happily for many, many years. Shiro was getting old. One autumn evening Shiro ate his dinner and lay down, resting his head on the old man’s lap. Shiro closed his eyes, and never opened them again. The old man and the old woman were heartbroken. They cried for many days. They buried Shiro in the backyard, and stuck a pine branch on the spot to mark Shiro’s grave. They went to visit the grave every day. Then a strange thing happened. The little pine branch stuck in the ground took roots and began to grow very fast. In just a few weeks it became a great big pine tree. The old woman said, “My dear husband, remember how Shiro used to love to eat rice cakes? Let us make a mortar from the wood of this pine tree, and make rice
cakes in memory of Shiro.” So the old man cut down the tree and made a mortar out of its trunk. When
he filled the mortar with steamed sweet rice and began pounding the rice with a pestle, another magical thing happened. The rice became more and more, until it overflowed and filled their entire kitchen! “The kind spirit of Shiro is still with us,” the old man said. He gave extra rice to everyone in the village, and still had plenty for his wife and himself. Now the Samurai lord who ruled the region had a selfish and greedy prince. The prince heard about the magic mortar, and wanted it for himself. He sent soldiers to take it away from the old couple. But when the greedy prince tried to pound his rice in the mortar, the magic did not work. It only worked for the old couple. The prince became angry.
“Burn this dumb mortar!” he ordered. When the old man heard that his precious mortar was burned, he was very sad, but there was nothing he could do. He went to the castle and asked for the ashes of
the mortar. He was taken to the hearth, and he brought home a basket full of ashes. “My dear wife, Shiro’s pine tree has turned into ashes.”He went out to his wife’s garden to scatter the ashes around. Suddenly, a gust of wind blew some of the ashes toward a clump of old cherry trees. Then another
miracle took place! It was already wintertime, and the cherry trees were bare. Yet, as soon as the
ashes touched their branches, the trees burst into bloom. The old man’s backyard was transformed into a beautiful picture of spring. “This is another gift from Shiro!” The old man walked around the village, scattering ashes over other trees. Soon the whole countryside was filled with beautiful cherry blossoms, and the old man’s heart was filled with joy in the memory of his best friend. Word spread and reached the Samurai lord’s ears. He invited the old man to the castle and asked him to make his cherry trees blossom. When the old man did, using what was left of the ashes, the Samurai lord was very impressed. He wrote a haiku poem and gave it to the old man. It said:
Loyal spirit lives
In the hearts of man and beast;
Makes withered trees bloom
The old man replied with his own haiku:
Joy and sorrow fade
As wind blows through the cherries
But friendship remains
The Samurai lord apologized to the old man for his son’s bad behavior. He severely punished the prince for his greed and selfishness. He rewarded the old man with silver and gold, and sent him home with great honor. After that, everyone called him Grandfather Cherry Blossom. The old man and
the old woman lived quite happily for many more years.

:white_flower:

9 Likes

cute puppies.

6 Likes

Less than a day left.

3 Likes
Blue, Pink, Purple

:night_with_stars: Pastebin

4 Likes

Debbie woke up with a start. She had chills going down her spine and she was covered in sweat all over her face. At the same time, Julie was also aroused from sleep and as groggy as she was, all she could muster was "I saw you in my dream today, Debbie and for the life of me, I don’t understand why."A half-yawn, chuckled laugh left Debbie. Sorry. I didn’t mean to laugh. It just came out, Julie…Julie just stared at Debbie. Blankly. Wondering what the fuck was going on.
Mr. Gray slid the breakfast trays through the inlet beneath the door with the words, "I’ve some news for the both of you–Miss Steele and Miss (Julie’s surname)
"Uh-oh. This better be good, Mr. Gray. Any news always has been bad for me."Well, that’s for you to decide, Miss Steele. Mr. Gray smirked. In lieu of your exemplary behavior, the administration has shortened both of your quarantine punishment from today.
You are free to resume your normal routine and mix with your colleagues. On that note Miss Steele, there’s a lot of pending work—around two weeks worth, and I want you to start it as soon as possible. I hope to see it completed by tonight. I’m not requesting you, Miss Steele, just telling you.
Mr. Gray’s eyes had a hard look and his lips thinned into a tight, if-you-don’t-do-it-you-are-screwed kind of look. Any questions? I believe I’m clear, so let’s move on.

Pastebin

4 Likes

words are everything
selcouth
(adj.) unfamiliar, rare, strange, and yet marvelous

dormiveglia
(n.) the space that stretches between sleeping and waking.

metanoia
(n.) the journey of changing one’s mind, heart, self, or way of life.

serein
(n.) the fine light rain that falls from a clear sky at sunset or in the early hours of night; evening serenity

. . . inky codes . . .

6 Likes

Final Exam
Using everything you’ve learned, design a thread. You heard me right. A thread. A real thread like this one. Please refrain from re-using old thread designs you may have created in the past. I want you to make something new and special for this final exam.

If you don’t know what to make, here are some ideas:

● a typical themed chatting thread
● a reflection thread on how much you’ve learned in the class, how much you struggled, and your favorite features
● a thank you thread for anyone you feel is deserving of recognition

This thread does not have to be posted for real (as its own link on the forums) but if you choose to post it, tag me there and then DM me your Pastebin link.

If you decide not to post it, standard rules for submitting applies. Post as a direct reply and show me the code in a link via Pastebin like past assignments.

Deadline: November 24th @ 8pm PST

Best of luck to everyone!

I know you’ll make me proud. :thecuteststar:

Summoning all remaining students!

5 Likes

I’ll be here if you all have any questions about the final exam.

4 Likes

Heehee my new thread design was a SG for this exam :joy:

3 Likes

Do we really have to use everything?

4 Likes

SG? :eyes:

3 Likes

Just make a pretty thread, Theora. Use as much or as little properties as you want.

Bonus points possible if you appeal to my specific aesthetic taste.

4 Likes