Coding 101

Preferred Name: hazel

Why do you want to learn coding? i’m really interested in it and i want to make my thread look pretty!

Have you read the rules? yep

Can you commit at least one hour a week to this? yes

Is there anything in particular you wish to learn? i really want to know how to put text on images and those boxes!

Anything else I should know? nope, nothing for now :3

4 Likes

Preferred Name: G-ane or Kate

Why do you want to learn coding? Because I wanna remember why I loved it sm years ago

Have you read the rules? Yes!

Can you commit at least one hour a week to this? ofc I can, I’m always here :wink:

Is there anything in particular you wish to learn? erm~everything in that beautiful head of yours :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anything else I should know? You’re the best-est

3 Likes

Enrollment Form

Preferred Name: Beth

Why do you want to learn coding? to make my thread look prettier

Have you read the rules? yes

Can you commit at least one hour a week to this? i should be able to but school sucks

Is there anything in particular you wish to learn? nothing atm

Anything else I should know? thank you for sharing wisdom <3

4 Likes

Let me know if you’re too busy later and need to drop out! :sparkles:

4 Likes

Enrollment Form

Preferred Name: Joy

Why do you want to learn coding?

To code cool

Have you read the rules?
Oui

Can you commit at least one hour a week to this?
Yes
Is there anything in particular you wish to learn?
Coding

Anything else I should know?

I’m bad at math

6 Likes

Course Introduction

Calling all students!

@flyingCouch @xinmure @lst-my-shp-sil @greekmyth @merinnie @Theora @deathinreverie @Forever_D_A @ValKayRee @dumplingbabe @hazelnuttys @panaceia @Beth-Pebble @floreswrites @JJJ000YYY

Welcome, one and all, to the very first of many assignments created by yours truly to help you learn how to code! I promise I won’t be doing this introduction thing for future assignments but since it’s the first one, I wanted to explain the structure of the course while I still have your attention. I recommend you read all of this to make sure you maximize your learning and minimize any potential issues.

For most of the assignments in this course, you will be tagged as soon as it is up and I will give you a week to complete it. I will be very clear on the deadline and I will mark you down if you submit late. (If you join late into the course, however, the earlier assignments won’t count against you. I will expect you to be properly caught up for future assignments.)

I also ask and require that when you submit your assignments in this thread that you do it as a direct reply to the post where the assignment details are. It makes it easy for me to click on the amount of replies below the assignment’s details to find all of the submissions instead of digging through the entire thread. Here’s an image of what I mean:

In addition to posting your code as you designed it to look, I will also ask for you to share your raw code with me via Pastebin, which is a handy site to share code easily. You do not need an account to upload code to Pastebin, and if you have trouble with using it, please let me know as soon as you can so I can troubleshoot with you.

If you have any other questions and concerns about the course or if you wish to drop out, feel free to reach out to me! Now, without further ado, continue to the next section to begin your assignment! :sparkles:

Unit 1: HTML vs. BBCode vs. Markdown

To start things off, we’re going to go over the differences between HTML, BBCode, and Markdown, so that we know which ones to use and when.

HTML is, arguably, the most powerful of the three and it’s what is used to build web pages. Tags in HTML typically begin with <tag name> and end with </tag name>.

As an example, here is how to make a word bold in HTML: <b>bolded</b>. B is short for bold and typing that code out produces bolded. If you change the “b” to “i”, it would italicize the word instead, and if you use “s”, it would strikethrough the word. More tags exist and I encourage you to practice with as many as you can.

BBCode, to a lesser extent, can do some of the same things that HTML can but BBCode is typically used to stylize forum posts and not to create webpages. Unlike HTML, BBCode uses [tag name] at the start and [/tag name] at the end of the section you wish to effect. So, if you want to make a word bold with BBCode, you would use [b]bolded[/b]. The same is true for italicizing and strikethrough. Other tags exist as well, which you can read more about here.

Markdown is, in my opinion, the simplest to use of the three different languages I’ve mentioned so far. It’s also what Discourse uses when you use some of the options from the toolbar:

Screen_Shot_2020-08-10_at_11.01.05_AM

It’s so simple that you can learn basically everything you need to know about it in this short interactive tutorial. I encourage you all to give it a try if you get the chance. If not, that’s okay. We won’t be using Markdown for future assignments.

As for what I want you to do, I want you to take the following three sentences and modify them (one with HTML only, one with BBCode only, and one with Markdown only):

1. One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
2. If you’re going to tell people the truth, be funny or they’ll kill you.
3. The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

Direct reply to this message with your submission by August 17th 6pm PDT. Grades will be given shortly. If, at any point during this assignment you wish to ask a question, feel free to tag me and ask!

11 Likes

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.

If you’re going to tell people the truth, be funny or they’ll kill you.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

I’ve never used pastebin before. Can you see this?

5 Likes

The link works, yes!

4 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes
  1. One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
5 Likes

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know

boop

6 Likes

Q: I noticed that you can’t do a underline with HTML. Or am I not doing something correct?

(Hopefully, I got the link right.)

4 Likes

I think that may be a Discourse thing. It does work elsewhere though.

4 Likes

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got my pajamas I’ll never know.

here it is~

4 Likes

Are you sure you want to submit now? The answer to your question is in the assignment. :sparkles:

Also, yes, your Pastebin link does work.

2 Likes

i edited it uwu (after checking the markdown link provided)

so now yes, i would like to submit now uwu (oh wait i need to change the pastebin-)

okay done~!

2 Likes

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.

This should work

4 Likes

hold up hmtl is back???

1 Like

@astrophile Just came upon this thread! Is this coding open as yet, Lumi? I’d love to join! :smiley:

3 Likes

Preferred Name: Nab

Why do you want to learn coding? I believe it’s a skill everyone should acquire and it makes the threads look pretty!

Have you read the rules? Yes.

Can you commit at least one hour a week to this? Yes.

Is there anything in particular you wish to learn? I’d like to learn whatever you can teach, Lumi.

Anything else I should know? Thanks a lot for hosting this class, Lumi! :heart:

3 Likes