Critique My Cover Design!

So I created a mock up for my cover. I drew everything myself in Procreate. It’s very basic so don’t judge the art it’s going to be very different after it’s finished but I would like all of y’all‘s opinion on it.

The text isn’t the final design. It’s just the placeholder for the title. There’s going to be a whole lot of elements added. I’d love some ideas if you’ve been inspired.

2 Likes

The only thing bothering me is how much empty space is above the title and how the words overlap with the wings. If you moved it up a bit to prevent the overlap it would feel more balanced. Or even resized the text so that empty space isn’t as prominent and that overlap would be warranted. I don’t know if the placement is final but that’s all I have to say in terms of improvement. The colour scheme is really nice tho, the purple gradient I just love

5 Likes

Oh nothing is final. I’m really bad at title design. I think I was thinking about how cool it would look if the title was slightly in the way of a feather or something to give it some unique depth? But I def hear you about that dead space.

1 Like

A feather would be totally cool! I’m not very good with ideas tbh XD I’m just better at saying “yeah spacing and readability” since like that’s always my biggest concerns with covers

1 Like

I was probably going to end up adding a metallic version of the title. Majesty looking all bright n silver with some purple glow and then the Royal vying underneath very bold but kinda plain.

1 Like

Yeah totally post another draft and we can totally talk more about it since it’s really rough right now it’s tough to really add anything especially since you got a pretty decent and complete design right there. It just really needs the polishing as you mentioned. I definitely know the crows/ravens need more details but I’m not knowledgable enough in procreate to really get that detailing down

You and me both. I’m not sure if I’m going to polish it or if I might hire someone. I’m not a graphic artist and my style is very… uhm flat? Cartoonish? Not very good for a cover design.

1 Like

For a high fantasy vibe it definitely needs more of that detailing and whatever witchcraft graphic design people do. Tho the cartoon look is very good for adult contemporary romances

1 Like

Do you want to see the old commissioned cover for the book?

Sure!

2 Likes

I really liked this cover but I realized how overdone crown covers are on anything YA or NA. Millions of them and you couldn’t tell them apart.

1 Like

That’s fair, but at the same time, if it works, it works. I had a lot of teenagers come into work and ask for book recommendations that are essentially clones of a series they love so it works in your favour if you are writing a YA fantasy book with like a romance subplot

I like what you’ve started out with!
A few points of critique:

1. The ravens at the centre definitely need to be darker to stand out - right now the only thing going for the ravens is the size and the centre, but color wise it feels very flat, so the ravens being darker would make them stand out much more, and would create a better focal point.
  2. Right now, the title and the birds are competing for focus - the title is still pretty big and it is behind the ravens with that empty space above it, and it is also lighter than the ravens, in a brighter color. Making the ravens darker would make that the clear focal point.
  3. I love the gradient background and the text, and I think using a font with swashes like Desire or Brilon or Yana would be prefect! And I love your idea of giving the text a metallic gradient!
1 Like

This looks professional to me!

I got it done on a Wattpad graphic shop. I loved it but now I’m closer to having a solid book done.

1 Like