Curious to know...

What do you guys think of non-linear, slice of life, character-driven stories with some plot in them? Not traditionally published, semi memoirs. Books like that which combine one or more of those elements, and don’t follow a typical 3-act structure, or a hero’s journey?

6 Likes

I’m down for anything that breaks the monomyth arc.

3 Likes

:partying_face:

I don’t have a problem with a slice of life, but I don’t like strongly non-chronological storylines.

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

Those are good. As long as the plot is interesting (objective) and the character has depth.

2 Likes

Oooh, this sounds like a memoir I finished yesterday, about a real life therapist telling her story through the accounts of fictional patients. I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. She jumps around in time too. Doesn’t bother me.

Have you ever read A Visit from the Goon Squad? The story of a music mogul told through various members of his entourage in little slice of life chapters. Skips around in time, and won a Pulitzer years ago.

I’m definitely up for anything worthy of a Pulitzer. I say go for it! ( ˆ◡ˆ)۶ ٩(˘◡˘ )

2 Likes

Ive read them before. I have no problem with messing around with time.

2 Likes

Sounds cool on paper, but the fact that it is non-linear might make it harder for some readers to follow and write.

1 Like

Too bad

:flushed:

1 Like

Confusing.

2 Likes

As long as the characters are interesting and I can connect with them I’m down

3 Likes

So the setup will be similar to the Dunkirk movie’s format, or like the animated film Your Name.

1 Like

As long as it’s clear what part of the timeline I’m on.

Like,
All The Light We Cannot See
went back and forth between two characters and between both their presents and their pasts and their futures.
It was a lot, but the book was sectioned out by year, so it helped. I did have a hard time remembering how old people were though. But that wasn’t really the point of the story. It didn’t matter how old they were.

Also,
Where the Crawdads Sing
went back and forth. Past and present and multiple characters, almost omniscient.

Oh yes,
Sadie
did that as well. It was past and present but the two points eventually met up. And then the present went on alone. A lot of back and forth with characters and with the interview format, a bit hard to follow, but the story was interesting and the characters were interesting.

So, if the timeline is somewhat clear and the characters are interesting to follow, some people will find it confusing, but I’d try it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not my preffered reading areas, but I would give it a try if it seemed interesting to me based on the plot!

1 Like

Linear plots get kinda boring for me after a while. You need too much concentration to focus on them and make them work. I need something to keep my attention and focus on the plot, rather than have it all continuously fed to me. Some non-linear plots can be good if done well.

Good, I am glad you like interesting stories. :smiley:

1 Like

:100:

1 Like

Never seen either.

:partying_face: