πŸ¦‡ π–Šπ–›π–Šπ–—π–žπ–™π–π–Žπ–“π–Œ π–Œπ–”π–™π–π–Žπ–ˆ ⚰️ - discussion / ama

you like nu metal?

1 Like

Eh

Not really

1 Like
Was casually Goth as a late teen,

guess I would have been called a freak more often? I liked the dressing up part but have a strong streak of hating uniforms or being forced to wear anything for long periods of time, so I didn’t do it every day. I worked at Olive Garden for the end of college, as a ToGo person, so I wore black as a uniform, which killed my desire to β€œgo Goth” for quite a while…and now I have kids. (Not that kids stop me from wearing clothes, but that they stain your clothing.)

Since I’d rather be comfortable, I’ll go out in PJs before I dress up, so, in my 40s, I think more people would assume β€œPeople of Walmart” than Goth. And before β€œGoth”, I wore flannel shirts (Jr high), so I was called β€œThe Undertaker’s Daughter” (the wrestler) or β€œLumberjess”.

Anyway, Hot Topic used to be THE place to buy clothes from, if you wanted to go for that style. I didn’t want to go for that cost, so I picked up whatever, wherever. Only 2 things I ever remember buying from them was a dog-chain choker with working finger/thumb cuffs as the focal point. They weren’t useful: anyone who would use the finger/thumb cuffs while you wore the necklace would have their palms on your collarbone, so this was completely for display and not for play. I’d have had to modify it to have it be anything more than asthetic.

I can’t find these anymore.

The other thing was thigh-high Kelly Green and black striped stockings. I learned with time that if your legs are thickest at the top of the hose, it will roll down, so I stick to kneehighs or calfhighs now. Much rather that over full pantyhose.

(You can now find them at Halloween shops, sometimes.)

Women's Black and Kelly Green Striped Thigh Highs

One thing I miss is my black courderoy overalls. If I still had the figure to pull that off, I’d be looking for a new pair. Just funny to have something that ought to be β€œFarmer Conservative” that can’t contain the cleavage. You can also wear a midrift shirt with that and cover your bellybutton at the same time, just plain sillyness. (Just skin above the hips to the lower ribs is exposed.) Anyway, can remember being told by some chick that I shouldn’t be wearing black before Labor Day. Never heard that before: no white after LD is a legit thing, but no one cares.

(I’d get this to replace them, if I was in shape.)
She's All That Overalls – B Dawn

Another thing I miss is a black polyester almost knee-length A-line, that is clearly vintage 70s. Unfortunately as I outgrew that, the cut made my boobs look like they went from collarbone to lower ribcage. Last time I wore that, guys who doesn’t even know my name kind of nervously hit on me until I tore their heads off, then picked on me a bit through the end of the school year? I guess because I damaged their egos? I don’t know, rumors started that I liked girls so guys wouldn’t seriously approach me and so I didn’t date. Just everything guys would do to get a girl’s attention would backfire with me. It’s what kills me about all these teen romance stories: β€œWait, you managed to get ShE’s DiFfErEnT out on a date?!” My direct experience is β€œShe doesn’t get you’re interested!”

(This, if it was shorter, would be similar, but needs a hair less flair.)
Women's Work Dress Black Dress Formal Dress Midi Dress Black Short Sleeve Pure Color Slim Spring Summer Crew Neck Elegant Office Date Slim 2023 S M L XL XXL 2023 - US $27.99

I was never strict with color, so instead of pj’s, I’m lounging in a dress with this pattern: I would have worn this during the Goth phase because I wasn’t scared of color. I’ve had this dress for probably close to a decade.

I would also do this, but in blue:

It looked more like this:

Butterfly clips were going out of style, but I would use them to pin up about 2 feet of hair into the prep for pin curls (but placed a little more wildly), so I could wear the prep day publicly. Everyone kept asking if I cut my hair.

Now, the fun part of all this is that I’m a pale white woman with black hair, so I never had to do any coloring unless I wanted to.

But outside the appearance, I didn’t fit the original scene, not because I didn’t like the music or anything, just that raves were popular along with ecstacy and date-rape drugs along with the whole intentionally being ShE’s DiFfErEnT. Sure, I wanted to be recognized as a person, just like any other kid, but I had such a bad reaction to attention, was plain baffled by it, that I was avoiding seeking it out.

So, I dressed like this when I wanted to dress up, but otherwise I was happy to not be noticeable. Wouldn’t do it on a daily basis whatsoever.

3 Likes

i wore my tradgoth outfit today for the first day of school. it was hot inside the school. i got barked at. my ear is inflamed

1 Like