Do writing or picture prompts work for you personally?

Does using writing prompts or picture prompts even work for you and you alone?

How do you get inspiration for a story? Can looking at some picture of something or a some sentence get you the inspiration you need?

What do you think?

3 Likes

I only use prompts if they are easy to subvert.

I. E. A picture of a mountain and a deer.

Me: The deer is under a curse by a witch to appreciate the land he was going to destory.

1 Like

Both, depending on the mood.

2 Likes

sure. I get inspired by every little thing because that’s how ADHD tends to work: you say something my brain is about 5,6 subjects in association, and I say the next one out loud and I’m off topic?

So, prompts do all sorts of stuff for me. Mostly gives me a short writeoff that I’m not chasing until I get something I’m deep into off my plate.

2 Likes

i use pictures if i want help with descriptions! for example, i had a specific image in my head of what i wanted one of my character’s house to look like but was getting wrapped up in my own head and couldn’t think of how to describe it properly - so i searched online until i found one that looked similar to what i was thinking and went off that!

but in terms of it starting off a chapter or inspiring an actual situation… i dont think so. songs tend to inspire me more for that!

2 Likes

Writing/picture prompts work for me, but for me they work more for short stories. Sometimes a single word can inspire writing for me, especially poetry. Every so often I’ll ask my Facebook friends for either a word or phrase to use as a writing prompt. Now, for my longer stories, they come from everywhere. The news. A current event that I find troubling. A dream. Real life. Someone else’s story. Inspiration is ALL around me if I’m willing to open myself up to it.

2 Likes

it can help but usually no

2 Likes

I see. So, it is a sometimes for you.

1 Like

Writing prompts do inspire me. My current WIP is based on something I wrote for a reddit writing prompt. They’re not my go-to option for inspiration though. I usually find inspiration for stories from images. Pinterest, pexels, etc. If there’s a picture I like, I try to form a story around it.

2 Likes

Pictures and other things can really help inspire a story. I’m into really strange ‘unsettling’ art (like the humanoid statues Patricia Piccinini makes, or paintings/drawings done by Aleksandra Waliszewska) so that leaves plenty of room for interpretation and inspiration.

I think looking at art from different perspectives can help grow your story, and also make your character’s in depth. The world is interpreted differently by everyone, so i think having a physical representation of a unique way that someone sees the world can help add more nuance to your story, unique characters that are unlike yourself and your ways of thinking, and also a change in theme–moving from what may be a little cliche to something that takes on an element of it’s own.

2 Likes

Makes sense.

1 Like

YES to picture prompts. I’m a visual person and many stories or scenes in stories are inspired by some pretty picture. Like, a misty forest.

What if I was traveling through here or a character was, what kind of place would it be like? Why travel through there? Does the place have a name? Why does it have that name? What lives in this forest? I ask myself questions like that.

Sentence prompts, however, make me feel boxed-in and forced to think in a certain way, so I tend to not use sentence prompts for inspiration. I can use situation prompts to explore already established characters though. Like “Imagine your character woke up and found out they had become a millionaire overnight and the media is knocking on their door. How would they react?” (this was one I saw on IG that I haven’t gotten around to writing yet).

2 Likes

I’ve never found that writing prompts or picture prompts work for me at all. For me, inspiration typically comes in two forms; a song, or a random old of inspiration. I’ll listen to a song and randomly think of a character that this would fit perfectly, then go home and write them down, and realize I have a sort of story formed around them already. The other is just walking around, doing whatever, and it kind of just hits me.

2 Likes