Do you have a character that has been dead for many years but is still relavant to the plot?

And no, I am not talking about ghosts.

Like this character has been deceased before the story started and somehow their story ties in with the plot. When you hear about this character, it is mainly through flashbacks or when the other characters discuss about them.

I shall give an example:

In my story House of Naivin, Solana who was the Sovereign has been dead for years and her three children are all grown up now. Yet her story is still important to the plot regardless of if she is deceased. The reason why is because she was killed, and nobody knows who did it or why. So, her children are searching for a way to solve her murder and a bunch of other things.

So, what about you all?
Do you have a character that fits this or no?

7 Likes

Anybody?

1 Like

Yes, Ramon has been dead for years (at least, to the mortals) but he’s still a part of Julio’s plot. He still ties in with the beginning of the plot, and Priscilla talks about him. But Julio can still communicate with him, so I think that counts because the others can’t.

2 Likes

So, what is Ramon’s story? Why are things left unfinished for him?

2 Likes

He was an author who died, and he needs to tell his wife about buried treasure and can’t move on until he does that.

2 Likes

I only have one that doesn’t have a ghost perspective. My main character is trying to catch his brothers killer and his brother is always mentioned when they talk about the mc.

I haven’t gotten far enough into the story to decide if it’s only going to be talking about the brother or if there’s going to be flashbacks. But, I’m leaning towards only talks. As I feel like if I add flashbacks it’ll ruin the pacing of the story.

1 Like

Well, kind of. She’s dead but not her soul. Her soul is captured, but she’s not a ghost. Basically, Nakiila is half mortal and half immortal and her mortal side has died. Her destiny/fate directly affects two characters in two different stories.

In one story, the MC caused her to be captured (by mistake due to his anger issues) and he often laments her supposed death and has flashbacks. Because of this capture, she must wait in the area for the one she is meant to give an object to. In the other story, she contacts the MC she is meant to give the object to before her soul can disintegrate and she fully dies.

…and this just solved my plot hole as I was typing XD Thanks, Qualeshia XD I was wondering how Nakiila and MC of the second story are connected through this object.

1 Like

Oh wow!

I wonder if he ever gotten the chance to let his wife know somehow.

Half mortal and half immortal? That is a rare combination.
LOL!

Aww shucks! :blush:

1 Like

Such a dilemma. I am also wondering if I should add a flash back to my story.
LOL!

1 Like

Usually, I’m cool with flashbacks but this is a slasher horror mystery thing. Basically, going for a Fear Street and Halloween type vibe with someone trying to figure out who the killer is.

1 Like

Oh, cool!

I suppose adding a flashback might do some type of harm rather than good in some cases of your story.

1 Like

Yeah, the only place I can see it being okay is in a prologue but I’m dead set on not changing the beginning of the first chapter (I count prologues as the first chapter as they’re there for a reason).

1 Like

That makes sense.

1 Like

It’s the whole crux of Old Soul. Alpha’s potential Luna chooses death over her designated mate: she has a husband and family and would rather die than have a tie to a stranger. Next potential that comes through and the guy doesn’t have his head screwed on right because of the past.

2 Likes

In Fireman’s Girl the love interest, Ablaze’s, motivation and plotline all come from her adolescent guilt/distress over her parents’ death. The villain is able to manipulate her because of it. In the finale, she finds out what happened to her parents and who’s really to blame, after she frees herself from the villain’s domination. It also helps her happy ending with the protagonist.

1 Like

Yeah. My MC’s (Elya) governess (Faun) who cared for her since she was a baby, up to the age of ten, when she died. Faun ended up taking the fall for the murder of Elya’s grandmother. Under the command of Elya’s father (the king) Faun was horribly tortured and then publicly executed.

Her death is the driving force behind Elya’s revenge motivation and the sole reason she continues to live.

1 Like

there is but it’s a big spoiler :zipper_mouth_face:

i’ll try to think of some more, death has what one might call a large presence in my writing so i’m sure i can dredge up something

1 Like

Aww…man! LOL!

1 Like

Seven years ago, Sylvia Halloway almost ended the world, and took herself with it. Only the tiniest fraction of the world’s population survived, and the story focuses on them and the scars Sylvia left on the world.

2 Likes