Do you have a younger sibling?

I’m an only child :stuck_out_tongue:

Tell me, what do you remember about your younger sibling’s birth? What did you feel when you found out your mother was pregnant? Or, what did you feel when you found out your parents are going to adopt a baby?

Bonus question: When you read about characters who have younger siblings and talk about the birth or adoption of the younger sibling, do you find you relate to them?

8 Likes

I have a sibling. I remember that he pretended my dad didn’t exist until the age of 3.

I don’t know it that’s normal for babies, but he didn’t seem to even know who “dada” was until he started walking and talkilng and really moving around.

3 Likes

I do have a younger sibling, but only by 1 year

I was too young to remember anything about my sister’s birth or if/how my parents told me about it
That is, if there’s a way for an almost-1-year-old to understand what a sibling is

My parents do have photos of little me interacting with my newborn sister, seems I was very nice to her (or very curious at least)

Overall I relate a lot to characters with siblings, especially if the character is the oldest
Not so much with discovering they’ll have one, so much as what the family expectations are for them

4 Likes

I was 13 when my mom got pregnant again. She had had many failed attempts to concieve again, and two of them were ones I knew about when I was a kid. I was honestly not that affected by my sibling’s birth. I didn’t care what gender they were, I was just waiting to meet them.
I just love my brother so much, even when he can be a pain in the a**

4 Likes

I have one younger sibling because otherwise, I am the younger sibling. :sweat_smile:

It’s quite fuzzy because I was nine years old at the time.

We were living in California at the time, up in Palmdale, and we had just gotten back from dinner (eating out). My mom goes to the bathroom and starts saying her water broke. So we all go out to the hospital.

My oldest sister, who was fifteen at the time, was the only one in room with my mom as she gave birth (she mentioned it was very traumatic lol). But we all waited in the waiting room for them for hours until my parents decided it was time to go home at 2am because it was gonna be a long night.

Next thing I remember, we go back to the hospital and I got to see my little sister.

Oh, I hated it and I completely loathed her for the first few years of her life. I was the youngest of the group (out of the then four kids) and had all the attention. Then she came along and destroyed that system.

And my parents bent their own rules for her! They made a rule that we couldn’t get our ears pierced until we were eleven (and second set until sixteen). My little sister got her ears pierced at around eight! They also gave her more, better things than we got. She got her first phone at eleven, whereas I got mine at nineteen. She had a kindle before me (at age eight), whereas I didn’t even get my first touch screen iPod until I was fourteen. What the heck?! She even got to go on her first plane ride when she was two! I was twenty-three!

I still tell my parents about how unfair it is. :rofl:

5 Likes

Not much of the one that’s 3.5 years younger. The one that’s 10?

Mom had a miscarriage before him, bled out at church. Trying to tell me everything was going to be ok when there’s blood everywhere.

Then about a year later, it’s visit mom while she lay in a hospital bed for baby brother, and go off to a church friend’s home and play with their kids for a day or two. Got to hold this boy who was really yellow, feed him sugar water just in case it was jaundice: boy was naturally yellow.

Don’t really remember much else about it, except I was changing diapers for years, marveling at him 1 handing a bottle at 6 months and eating a whole Whopper sandwich at 1.

4 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Me too. ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ

3 Likes

Awesomeness!

1 Like

Not a ton honestly. My mom was induced (had labor started medically) so there wasn’t any kind of big going into labor moment. My parents just dropped us off at our grandmother’s house on the day and we hung out there and waited. My grandmother took us to the hospital after. It was a little exciting but not anything huge.

Honestly I think I was just kinda like “oh okay cool” :joy: I didn’t have a problem with it but it didn’t feel like a huge deal either.

I’m not sure I’ve ever read a story that talks about the birth specifically.

3 Likes

My younger sister is only two years younger than me, so I remember none of these things. :smiley: As far as I know, she just kinda materialized in my life lol.

I don’t relate to any birth/adoption mentions in stories so much as the overall sibling experience. Is the MC’s little sibling being a huge brat? Yup, relatable. :rofl: Are the adult MC and their now adult younger sibling now the best of friends? Yup, also relatable.

5 Likes

i have a sister. that’s the only information you are getting out of me

2 Likes

I do have a younger sibling. We’re just under 5 years apart. I don’t remember much of when my mother was pregnant or what I thought beforehand, but I do remember being absolutely horrified at the weird wrinkly human-creature she was holding in the hospital. There’s a picture of my expression somewhere and I laugh every time I see it lol.

As for reading about them? Not really. I relate more when I see older siblings taking care of younger siblings when they’re both older, since that’s partially my situation. The birth itself wasn’t really memorable enough for me to find it relatable when I read about it, and that’s because I wasn’t quite 5 when he was born.

1 Like

I was pretty young when it happened, so almost 3 years old. I do remember fuzzy memories about holding them in my arms when I was around 4

didn’t really remember that part-

honestly, I don’t actually find books where the main characters have siblings at all. sometimes it happens and they strangely really like each other and get along well which kinda weirds me out since it’s normal to hate your siblings and have fights. Never have I read something where siblings have once argued over something stupid or called each other names (maybe they were an exception and have a really good relationship) but still, you gotta keep it realistic when talking about siblings.

4 Likes

I so often feel like I missed on this “sibling experience” :joy: we usually get along well

3 Likes

I am the chaotic younger sibling :pensive:

2 Likes

I’m the oldest child, and I have two younger siblings living and one who died years ago
The one who died was born when I was about 1 1/2, and died when I was about 3 1/2, so I Only remember small bits and pieces from when she was alive, and nothing from her birth. I’ve heard stories about it enough times that it feels like I remember more than I do, though.

My other two siblings are almost 5 years younger than me and 7 years younger than me, but if I’m being completely honest, I barely remember either of their births either. The older of the two kiddos was born two days after christmas, so I vaguely remember going home with christmas presents and then going to the hospital to see the new baby, so there was a lot more chaos than most christmas seasons.

Then the younger one was born almost two weeks before my birthday, and the only specifics I remember from her birth is me getting to stay overnight at my grandparents house because my parents went to the hospital in the middle of the night and then being woken up in the morning with my grandma shoving her phone in my face to show me pictures and talking excitedly about my baby sister

For my younger two sisters, I was definitely really excited when I found out my mom was pregnant, and I was happy to find out that I was going to have more siblings. They’re obnoxious little shits but I love them. I was always far more aware of the possibility of my siblings being disabled/have health issues than most people I’ve met who have never had siblings with health issues, but that’s never affected my relationship with them negatively.

I don’t have much of an opinion on characters in books recalling a siblings birth? Just because I have a bad memory doesn’t make it unbelievable that a character would be able to remember and talk about that, especially if it’s important to the plot, so I guess I don’t directly relate to it, but I don’t find it so ridiculous that I have issues believing it

3 Likes

I have memories of my little brother’s pregnancy, but I was not present for the actual birth because I was pretty little. I stayed over at my godparents’ house, but I never felt jealous of the new baby getting attention.

2 Likes

I don’t think siblings are generally present for the birth. I mean I’ve heard of it happening but no one I’ve ever known has done it lol. I know I definitely would not want my son in the room, I’d need to focus on giving birth not on managing an older (probably bored and grossed out) kid

Same, except in my case I was old enough to be there, but I had school, so when I returned, I was taken to the hospital. I remember those days being fun because I had been home alone for days, and people would keep coming and going just for making me lunch and dinner and to take me to the hospital. Otherwise, the house was my playground.

1 Like