Do you like/have a reluctant ally character?

I realized I like characters that were hired to help someone with their shady dealings, but then end up tagging along and helping the entire way. You know those characters? They were only there for the money but end up going all the way and maybe even end up becoming really close friends with everyone else there.

I might already have a character that begins reluctant or only in it for the money, but if I don’t, I want to create a character like that.

Do you have characters like that? Do you like reading about characters like that? What do you think makes them so appealing?

3 Likes

Seeing the gradual shift from only being in it for money/convenience/common enemy/etc, to forming an emotional bond is a satisfying arc.

3 Likes

True!

I so want to write a character like that now.

I’ve almost got the inverse!! Character A is grumpy and antisocial, Character B is outgoing and always on the hunt for adventure. Character B offers to help Character A with her big life goal for free since it’s an interesting quest and, since she’s out of other options, A reluctantly agrees to let B help her. A eventually realizes she likes having B around.

1 Like

Sounds like fun to write :grin: I like grumpy characters coming around. Sometimes they turn out to be softies inside :wink:

1 Like

Honestly, seeing their character development

My character Semele seems to be like that at the moment. :thinking:

1 Like