Do you like in-world quotes at the top of chapters?

Hey there :star2: I’ve been thinking about adding in-world quotes to the top of my chapters, and I was wondering what you all thought about that.

Context:

In the book, the MC owns a couple of books, including a children’s book about the monsters in this world and her professor’s notes about magic. The quotes I was thinking of including would “come” from these books and would be little world building tidbits. Perhaps a reminder about how the magic system works, a myth revolving around the origin of monsters in this world, etc. Something short and fun (maybe 1-2 lines) that would lead into the chapter, but also something not necessary to read to understand the book. Just little fun extras. I’m imagining it almost like the fun facts that game developers add to the loading screens.

For audience, I’m thinking this is going to be a middle-grade / YA book, so it’d be targeted more at younger readers. I feel like I would have really enjoyed it back in middle school myself, but I’m not sure if that’s the case for other people.

Would you find this interesting? I’m not sure if I would write them on the chapter itself or create an image to put in the multimedia header - which one would you prefer as a reader?

1 Like

That’s a good idea, putting them in the image headers! I think it sounds cool. ヽ(^。^)丿

1 Like

I don’t hate them, but unless they are extremely interesting, I don’t read them, the same thing for titles…even more so the younger I was.

So the way I see them is that well done they are a nice option for those who like them, and if they are short, they are easier to skip for those who don’t get it or hate it.

1 Like

I’ve done this before with a fiction I wrote a while back.

I used the MC’s opening line, and he asked it to everyone he met on his journey. I then followed it up with their answers. The first line was just this…

“Where were you when the world went to shit?”

Then each chapter had it as a header after the chapter title, followed by the answer. Even if it was not until a third of the way in, I still used it.

I honestly don’t mind them, and they’re not like a major spoiler.

SD

1 Like

That’s such a fascinating way to go about it :open_mouth: I love that.

1 Like

Thank you!

SD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.