Endings you like to write VS Endings you like to read

I really like endings where a character gets the ending they deserve, or that is deserving of them based on the story, if that makes sense. Like, if a character was hell-bent on revenge through the entire course of the story, then I’d like to see that revenge 1) satiated, or 2) resolved in a way that feels natural (character progressions, realizing it’s wrong, not wanting to continue a cycle). Either way, I want the ending to make sense for what it was built up to be. Tireless “plottwists” and “subverting expectations” of today’s standards bore the ever-loving piss out of me. Love a good plot twist or subversion, but if it doesn’t make sense, I don’t want to see nor hear it. Also open-endings. They can be thought provoking and profound when done well, but when not done well it just leaves you with this lingering sense of “ok… but why did I read this for it to basically not have an ending?” which is how I feel most of the time. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know what the author wants to convey. To imitate real life? Thing is, people often come to their own conclusions. I’d like some sense of conclusion out of it all. Like life never answers all of our questions? Idk. It seems a waste of a good story to me.

3 Likes

I like to write all types of endings :joy: from happy, to sad, to ambiguous. As long as it feels natural, if you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue: I do have a soft spot for endings on the happier side.

The trilogy I’m currently writing did have many possible endings, and when I made some polls on what should happen in the end, everyone wanted a sad or tragic or “bad” ending :smiling_face_with_tear: I was the only one rooting for the protagonist to live and get a happy ending. Thankfully I’ve found a way to make it work :partying_face:

As for endings I like to read, I want to read happy endings. Ninety-nine percent of the time. I can write a tragic ending sometimes but I much prefer to not read that kind of ending, the world and my life is depressing enough already :melting_face:

I’m okay-ish with ambiguous endings. I don’t like endings that have too many threads loose because I need that closure, but the plus point about ambiguous endings is that I can imagine my own ending if that makes sense :joy:

In the case of Wattpad, simple: no endings. Too many people start new stories without finishing their current ones first and it’s making me mad, to the point that I’ve just flat out given up on someone for the sake of my sanity. I can understand working on less than a handful of books at once, or having one main project and a few small side projects, but to jump from one draft to another like a playboy bringing a new girl home every month… that’s a loss of self-control right there, or some other issue.

Other than that, I guess my ending pet peeves are mostly the common ending pet peeves, like “it was all a dream” (I personally think that it’s a huge cop out), the “plot twist” that really was just there purely for shock value, and the Deus Ex Machina.

2 Likes

I tend to get fearful if I come across a book where it ends in a dream or something lame shit like that. Honestly, dreams are weird and hard to grasp anyway and to end a good story like that makes me want to punch the author in the face then chuck the book at a wall.

1 Like

Feel like I haven’t seen many of these though :thinking: Do they still happen? Not on Wattpad, but in the trad pub world.

2 Likes

I’ve had a book that did that. The death of the MC would have made so much more sense, but of course she had to come back to life to tell the boy she likes him and they get together at long last :confused: I didn’t need that. The story didn’t need that. The first time I actually wished a character had stayed dead.

So, I wrote a story where the girl MC does die and in the epilogue the boy realizes he always had loved her, but that he never had the chance to tell her because it was too late of a realization.

2 Likes

That is the thing. People come to their own conclusions. Maybe it’s the start of a fresh new life and they have accepted the end of whatever adventure they were on? Endings can be open, but the character’s journey must come to some conclusion and we readers must know it.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Open endings are only good when the journey itself has some conclusion. I don’t like leaving with absolutely no idea how it ends

2 Likes

Uncommon but still possible

1 Like