Entrophic vs Non-Entrophic Storytelling

I found this guy on Youtube, he is a true blue cinephile with some interesting perspectives.

But this got me thinking about examples of Entrophic stories, intentionally so. The sort of stories where it can feel as if anything can happen-and those tend to be some breed of cartoon. I see this a lot in Anime, where trying to classify a lot of popular battle shounen as only being Fantasy or Science Ficiton or Supernatural is a fool’s errand. In that sense, they are entropic. But what do you think?

Calling my weeb comrades!

@J.L.O.
@Qualeshia12
@FOLuke

Calling my other comrades!
@JohnnyTuturro
@Akje
@AMMeyers

2 Likes

Yeah anime can really be disordered at times, especially when they have filler episodes or random scenes for “comedy” or, worse, “fanservice”, but that tends to just be the nature of how the storytelling goes.

3 Likes

Even when it’s ordered it tends to be disordered!

2 Likes

Yeah especially with the more old school anime that had a lot of series and episodes. They had a lot of filler and fluff. Beach episodes were a staple.

If you look at shorter, more condensed animes where they stick closer to the story, which it seems is what you get more of at least in a lot of popular anime of today, they make the narrative clearer with less goofiness, maybe because there is a trend of them giving only 12-episode to a series? But there is definitely a lot more freedom to the way they let stories flow in anime compared to more western shows and movies lol.

2 Likes

I know, right? The funny thing is that I could describe stuff like Shamanic Princess to a person on the street, and they’d think it would be like Buffy the Vampire slayer, but it’s not even comparable. It’s a lot more…fantastical, to say the least. Beautiful, as well.

1 Like

I’m not grasping what entropy means in this context, but I agree with the commenter on that YouTube post who said the problem is that there’s no clear ending to a lot of shows today. He said it was because producers are trying to please the audience, but I think it’s because they’re trying to squeeze as much lucre as they can from a franchise. When making money rather than making art becomes the priority, then eventually the quality starts deteriorating, so the fans lose interest, then the producers just let it die rather than invest more money in tying up the loose ends and giving it a satisfying conclusion. These stories probably become disordered when the writers add stuff they think the audience will like rather than what would make more sense, and so the story kind of devolves…? I have no idea; I’ve never seen a Marvel movie. (♯^.^♯)

2 Likes

Entrophy basically means disorganizaiton and chaos. So when you have a story inside of a setting with specific themes and rules, that limits what sort of stories you are able to tell. There is a reason why the fights in Avatar: The Last Airbender aren’t like anything you’d see in Xenoverse.

2 Likes

I watched something similar a few weeks back. I mostly agreed with it.

1 Like

Can you tell a story that is entrophic on purpose?

Yeah, it’s actually quite common off WP. It’s not knowing how to end a story and fanservicing yourself into the ground without the experience to handle pacing.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can definitely compare story themes with westernised storytelling but the execution of how those stories are portrayed and the character tropes are from completely different worlds

2 Likes