Everything is Better with Magic???

I wanted to do an Everything is Better with Princesses but that would not do well here. So, never mind.

In the fantasy genre, it seems that people flock to the idea of magic systems and having magical characters/creatures. However, is everything really better with magic? Do you want magic in your fantasy or even your science-fiction? So, do you honestly believe that everything is better with magic?

Tell me your thoughts!

1 Like

Fantasy can be feudal, which does not require magic.

Some of my stories (that I need to finish) are more feudal than magic related.

I don’t care either way, as long as the world works.

2 Likes

Fantasy without magic is like Sci-Fi without advanced technology.

2 Likes

Speculative Fiction doesn’t always have that much advancement. Like the one book where yeah, there was a spaceship, but the aliens who came to visit (and were very human) didn’t have telephones or most our tech–they just had a ship that could get them to us–because their ship was powered on themselves being perfectly loving. Highly speculative, not really common scifi.

2 Likes

Technically still more advanced than current levels.

1 Like

Not when they don’t have phones or most electrical devices. Far below us in tech except for a ship that couldn’t be powered by our divisive people.

2 Likes

It doesn’t always have to have magic. I’ve read a lot of great books with no magic at all, but magic is something that I love and probably will always love!

2 Likes

Cool. That is great to know. I love the idea of having magic, but now I am unsure figuring out my magic system and stuff.
Now, I am wondering if my world truly needs magic. It definitely need advanced tech. It’s a science-fantasy novel.

2 Likes

Depends on what type of magic you want. Do you want something soft or hard? Soft magic systems are a personal favorite for their flexibility, but too often the writer makes up a spell that’s convient for the time but forgets it later.

2 Likes

Well personally, magic is a staple of fantasy. Fantasy as a genre is basically all about things that are, well, fantasy. It’s about things that are not real, don’t exist in this world, and obviously magic is one of them.

I don’t think people flock to magic systems just because it’s “better” for fantasy, but more like that’s what fantasy is usually about. It is possible to have a fantasy book that’s not all about magic and stuff, like set in a fictional world that’s not necessarily magical. That’s still considered fantasy.

I don’t think magic makes fantasy better. It makes fantasy, fantasy.

3 Likes

That is something I need to figure out.

I thought I knew the difference between hard and soft magic system, but I do not.

Can I think of hard and soft magic systems like taco shells?
Does that seems stupid???

1 Like

Awesome!

I understand completely. I guess I am struggling to find my own kind of magic system.

It’s similar. If you’re not careful, the contents will spill out and you won’t have anything left.

1 Like

Have you tried looking up Sanderson’s Laws of Magic? It’s a set of three “rules” to help you create a good magic system, and it helped me a lot personally.

They are:

1. An author’s ability to solve conflict with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic.
  2. Weaknesses, limits and costs are more interesting than powers.
  3. The author should expand on what is already a part of the magic system before something entirely new is added, as this may otherwise entirely change how the magic system fits into the fictional world.

Perhaps these guidelines will help you out, 'cause they did for me.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Hard taco shells crack under pressure, tend to crumble a bit, and needs some support to keep it grounded.
(If that makes sense.)
Soft taco shells a flexible, able to bend well, foldable, and sturdier I suppose.

Not sure I am making sense, but yeah.

1 Like

Hard is about detailed scientific style rigurous working of magic, the deets. Soft is “I ain’t explaining JACK and you ain’t making me”.

So it’s more like a Fajita with all the fixings and a Mexican grill cheese sandwich (ahem…quesadilla).

Taco would be middling.

2 Likes

Are burritos a mix of hard and soft magic, then?

1 Like

I read bits and pieces of it somewhere.

I was a bit confused though. I am going to have to go back and view it again.

1 Like

The Odd Couple style roommates (Bert and Ernie), where one does one, and one does other, and they is pissed at each other’s magic.

2 Likes

Interesting. For some reason, soft magic systems might(key word “might”) be more my speed.

Off Topic: I would have never thought of a quesadilla as a Mexican grill cheese. That actually makes sense though.
LOL!

1 Like