Fantasy Counterparts to Real world nations in your own stories and popular fiction?!

Yay! I think I have a second one too!
The gripe with that is the desert nation, regardless of fiction or reality isn’t too practical if that is the proper word to use.

I mean it’s lovely as some well-known fictional desert nations, but the issue is that I had with one story that focused on a desert country, is the lack of resources and water. The country in the story hasn’t had rainfall in five years or something. To provide an entire nation with food and water and anything else in a desert nation with lack of those things without rainfall is tough to figure out.

Probably why I didn’t last long with the story. LOL!

Though I love to focus on Pannotia in the story I am working on, but just need to figure out how make it work a bit. I rather not use cheesy idealistic nonsense in the story.

1 Like

I’m writing a Ruritanian romance right now! Mine’s based on Regency England, but I decided to use a fictional version instead of the real thing specifically so that I wouldn’t have to do any research on that era. I’m so sick of researching that kind of stuff from previous books. Also, I wanted to move Mt. Vesuvius to England rather than have my characters travel there. But otherwise it’s a somewhat accurate picture of the start of neoclassicism in Europe with the discovery of Pompeii in the 1700s. /(=^ェ^=)\

1 Like

Sounds cool.

Slightly off-topic: Do you ever read WAY too into things when creating things like that?

For instance, Pannotia is a little bit in my mind an idealistic desert nation that came into problems due to lack of rainfall. But Pannotia is located on a fictional somewhat earth-like planet.

I get it is a fictional, but it’s supposed to be based off a little on places like Saudi Arabia and Jordan or well-known desert cities. I just concern myself with things too early.

Sorry for the rambles! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What sets your story apart from most Regency novels? Some are either too romantic or a bit too historical or whatever?

1 Like

fun fact, kind of relevant: Game of Thrones is one of the most historically accurate shows out there despite being fantasy. idk after what time it’s modeled after (probably medieval Europe) but oh boy is it well made.

3 Likes

I’m reading this book right now, and he says everything in your book does mean something, so there’s no way to read too much into it. (>‿◠):v:

https://www.amazon.com/Read-Literature-Like-Professor-Revised-ebook/dp/B00H1UMRGM/

Generally, they’re too idyllic. No one but the villain has any faults or sins, certainly not the women, and there’s such a double standard. It’s okay for the men to be rakes, in fact, it makes them more sexy to the readers, *rolls eyes* but the women have to be virginal flowers. Argh. And the worlds are so pretty and perfect. Nothing truly bad ever happens, and there’s never any mention of unpleasant realities that were going on in that period. I guess that’s in keeping with the escapism that romance readers are looking for…? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

But mine’s a gay romance during a time when that was illegal, and my main character’s a useless, lazy, opium using, alcoholic gambler and playboy who only cares about himself until just before the end, when he goes to the block to protect someone else – the first time in his whole life that he’s ever put someone else ahead of himself. Oh, and then the volcano erupts. That never happens in regency romances. (♯^.^ღ)

1 Like

I have a non-fantasy country in my story that is based off a real non-fantasy country. Actually, I have multiple. Does that count? :joy:

2 Likes

I will allow science-fiction here too!
Tell me, tell me!

:grin:

1 Like

Italy (Rome) is based off . . . Italy (Rome)
Greece (Athens) is based off . . . Greece (Athens)
Kemet (Waset) is based off . . . Kemet (Waset)

2 Likes

The mystery continues… :grin:

1 Like

What you do is what Saudi Arabia did with the extensive pipelines.

I think if Saudi Arabia can manage it, fantasy worlds can manage it :wink:

I don’t really go into how the desert nations in my story work, but I think they’d do it like Saudi Arabia. Somewhere down the middle of the desert are a bunch of large pipes pumping water from a big main source.

2 Likes

I did just remember I do have fantasy countries based on real world countries.

It’s really, really low fantasy. To avoid having to figure out real-world place names and street names and historical accuracy, I did the same New Soleil treatment to another world: the (Other) World. It’s the world…well, not really. It’s not otherworldly. It’s not another world :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just the world, but kind of other. Kind of different.

So, I have many countries and many states. Idk how many countries I renamed and gave new history to.

I could name some…?

3 Likes

I’ve heard that, too.

Dragons are real.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sure thing.

1 Like

I tend to overthink…a lot.
:sweat_smile:

Lwendolen
United Arcan
Sensland
Parajan
Koltsland
Evrenland
Iptaj
Xemica
Orquin

I wonder if you can guess the real-world equivalents? :grin: Not all of them are obvious.

2 Likes

DRAGONS ARE REAL YES

2 Likes