Fox Paws - Cover Critique Corner - Free - OPEN 2024

PSST @TheTigerWriter
Remember the cover I sent for Empire of Li(c)es? Well I reworked it with a completely new concept. What do you think of the new version?

Genre: Dark, epic fantasy
Mood: Dark, oriental, betrayals and love and fantasy

2 Likes

I’m actually a fan of putting too much stuff on a cover, so I do like the first one as well as the second :stuck_out_tongue:

Like this type of style

For the second one, nothing really stands out to me. Maybe you could make “FIRE” look like it’s on fire like you did for the first one? That might spice up the simple background around the title. Big point for both of them: the crown looks blurry and it’s bothering me because the text is so crisp :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I also like the first one. The colors look nice and although the title colors are similar to the background, it still stands out enough to be eye-catching :relaxed:

2 Likes

Yes! I saw that one before somewhere. It’s beautiful! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’d forgotten about the “Li(c)es” thing until you mentioned it again XD Thank goodness it’s not the Empire of Lices anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

meow

no reason, I just felt like it.

2 Likes

Right. These covers have been bothering me, and I’ve planned a remake, but I just wanted to check what all needs to be changed. I’ll get to a remake once exams are over!

1 Like

Good luck on your exams!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

meow

boop

just letting you know this thread is not dead

2 Likes

Hi @anon39043209 I noticed you were looking for feedback on your cover. I thought about responding to you there, but I can give a more in depth kind of feedback here. If you like, I could do that?

If you want this, I have a form so that you can help me give you feedback.

Mood or vibe means what mood or vibe you are trying to convey with your cover. Usually adjectives. If you have a horror story, you might want the cover to be creepy or mysterious, for example.

The aim of my feedback is to help you improve, not tell you what to do. If I give suggestions, it’s up to you to go through with them or not :blush:

1 Like

So, wait are you going to do a cover for me or no?

1 Like

Well, no, not here. But I can :stuck_out_tongue: This is a feedback shop, not a cover-ordering shop. You can DM me if you want a cover. I could definitely do that.

The feedback shop is so you can get feedback on your cover. If you look at previous posts, I give in-depth critiques and suggestions on covers that people have made themselves.

1 Like

Yeah, I can use some feedback.

The cover that I did was horrible and could use some work.

How do I make it better exactly when I am so lost on what to do?

Could you post your current version here?

Sure give me a second.

No rush. I’ll look at it tomorrow. It’s 3am now XD

1 Like

Alright, here it is!

3 Likes

Genre: Okay, first of all, a book cover should have some indication of what the genre is. It might be good to go on a Google Image search of book covers in your genre to get a general sense of what people tend to do. Especially if you’re rather new to making covers, it’s good for practice to just try to do what everyone else in your genre seems to be doing. Even copy styles.

Cover examples from Google Image Search

I’m just guessing what your genre is. Dark fantasy? Here’s an example (not mine) of a dark fantasy cover with red in it. You can see how the red and black colors are scattered and not just in one place.

Here’s some examples of a symbolism type cover (not mine). When there’s a symbol, often the background will be quite plain or simple to make the symbol stand out.

Font choice: This is another important element when it comes to showing the genre. You’ll notice certain fonts are used in certain genres. Of course, there are some fonts that are quite versatile. The font you have right now is not clear what the genre is.

Symbol: The symbol of the bird looks like it’s not part of the cover. If you could figure out a way to blend it with the background more, and maybe center it in the middle it might look more uniform.

Text color: Last, color of text. The black on the red is extremely hard to see and the same with the red on the black. You might want to experiment with white text with shadows, or if you want red, to try another shade of red. Also you might want to make the title texts bigger because them being small makes it hard to see as well.

If all this is overwhelming and you have no idea what to do, I can make a cover for you, just DM me if you want that :blush:

That’s all from me :blush: Feel free to ask any questions.

3 Likes

Wide open.

1 Like