Furthering your audience...

So, I’ve been accepted into the October Gems Under 1K Reads…

I thank you kindly, for your well wishes here…

What I am wanting to know, is just this… Has being on such a “Get Noticed” feed done you well, of not?
I mean, I’m glad to have been picked after my submission to the Gems Under 1K Reads, and I’m thankful indeed. But I wondered if anyone here has had experience with such “Get Noticed” feeds?

If so, how helpful/unhelpful was it?

SD

3 Likes

In my experience, they don’t get as noticed as you’d like or may think. In some cases, they can but this is if it’s a big account (like a Wattpad official account or someone who has thousands or millions of followers). But in all honesty, they don’t go very far in terms of actual recognition. But that isn’t to say they don’t actually work because they do… just in small doses. And really, it’s better to be on many various reading lists than not being on them. Your book being on a reading list of any kind definitely helps in more ways than you think.

One of my books was at like 5K reads when it got out on a Talent as counts reading list (official Wattpad profile that kind of failed (or so it seems) and didn’t have many followers). But once it was added, I gained thousands of reads and hundreds of votes within a few weeks. It was crazy seeing it go up so fast. But after a while, it slowly disappeared and stopped eventually. But from time to time, I get tons of people adding it to their reading lists, and the more it gets based, the more it’ll get seen. It was at 5K reads roughly four years ago (but do know it was written back in 2016-2017 so it’s been a long time haha) and it’s now over 44K with over 1,000 votes. :grin:

But in most cases, being put on a reading list especially when it comes to something like this where the point is to showcase smaller books, you may see a small jump that’d usually be like 100 or so reads. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. All kind of depends.

However, reading lists are one of the many ways to get noticed and just to use it will only be restrictive to you.

3 Likes

Got a wattpad feature from the official ambassador lgbtq+ page a few years ago and I’m at like 17K reads on it now—not the best on the site, but still pretty good!!

Edit: the story is… not good. I wrote it when I was 13, the story’s a mess, the pacing is awful. I’ve written much better stuff that’s never broken a thousand views. Wattpad popularity is weird.

3 Likes

Thank you kindly for your experiences. I will keep that in mind.

SD

3 Likes

To be honest, I’d be happy even if I gained just a few more reads. Every little helps and such.
I don’t expect it to blow up overnight, and it certainly wont that is for sure.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

SD

3 Likes

I feel like participating in contests might be more useful than reading lists. I was recently added to the “Adult fiction” list on WattPad, and I feel like I may have gotten two or three interested people read my story, but I don’t think they stuck with it. Just read the prologue, and stopped there, or if I’m lucky, read a few more, but didn’t vote/comment/engage in any way. :grimacing:

I participated in a poetry contest however, two of them within the last half a year and got a dozen or so followers/story adds as a result. I was very active during the contest, reading other people’s entries, leaving comments on things I liked, encouraging fellow participants. So I think the “social networking” there was more effective than just being added to a list, or joining a contest as a lurker. :thinking: I’ve never participated in a fiction contest though. Maybe like three times when I was new to Wattpad, but I gave up. Like @PaperThinSkin14 said, Wattpad popularity is weird. I think poetry worked better because it’s a much smaller, and very specific niche.

4 Likes

Yeah, I dislike that. If you take time to read (even a little piece), take that very short moment to say what you liked, or disliked. Maybe even a second or two to click that vote button. I always do, but I don’t understand why folk don’t…

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience.

SD

1 Like

Same. I’ll take one person who leaves a comment or feedback of some kind versus a hundred that never say a thing/vote.

3 Likes

Reading lists do work.
Your story might not explode but just being on any reading list helps you get exposure.

I have a couple of stories that I do no advertising for and which never rank but I see readers add them to their reading lists all the time and often it’s not even readers that vote or comment (at least not immediately). And I think what’s happening is that readers see it on the reading list of other readers, add it to their own list, then others visit their profile, snoop in their lists and do the same. So over time it adds up and some of those adds turn into reads.

Because there definitely is a correlation between reading lists and reads/votes. The stories that I constantly see added to lists are my most popular stories.

1 Like

Thanks!

SD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.