Gender-neutral names?

Does your MC have a gender-neutral name?

My Turn/Example:

Faust. Even though her real name Faustina, she prefers Faust because it has a better ring to it than Faustina. Meaning it sound less girly than Faustina.

I doubt that Faust is a gender-neutral name because it seems like more of a name fit for a male. But it can work either way you use it.

Then there is Phara whose real name is Pharaoh.
(Do not ask why I made it that way. LOL!)

What about you though?

4 Likes

Sol

1 Like

Sol? You mean like the sun?

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Awesome.

1 Like

i have a female character named kris! debating if it’s short for christina or not, but mainly chose kris because her nickname is cricket and it flowed nicely. also another female character named jordan, and a long time ago a guy character named ashley :^)

(unsure if i’m going insane or something, but i see your posts around a lot and i swear faust was a guy? but again i might just be legally insane lol.)

3 Likes

Faust was a male. I decided to change Faust into Faustina who is a female.
You aren’t losing your mind. LOL!

1 Like

oh good LMFAO i swear i’m insane most of the time so it’s nice to know this time i wasn’t :sob:

2 Likes

LOL!

2 Likes

Personally, I think a lot of names can be gender neutral especially nowadays.

Because of the time period for my stories, a lot of names tend to be very masculine-sounding (Scotch or Christoph or Richard or Will) or very feminine-sounding (Pinti or Lalina or Penelope or Mary).

However, in the Kathula Race (world of Elgana), male names and female names differ by clan. Kalis is a female name in one clan, but might be considered a male name in another based on how it ends (ends in “is” or “s”). The same with Kirlan which is a male name in one clan, but might not be in another (ends in “lan” or “an”).

So, if you look at the Kathula Race as a whole, Kalis or Kirlan would be considered gender neutral names.

Well, those are made-up names :stuck_out_tongue: But that’s how it goes.

2 Likes

I like your made-up names.

1 Like

1 Like

No problem.

2 Likes

I spend little time thinking about it.

Athelai is named Athelai by the man she is traveling with, and was called Broadside when in the military (a name she earned) because she doesn’t really have a name because of her mother’s disinterest in her. The only reason he named her is because they were posing as lovers of sorts and Broadside wouldn’t be believable in a woman who is an ornamental guard, and her real nature would draw too much attention to her and what she’s really doing.

But a chick known as Broadside. Not effeminate.

2 Likes

I’ve heard Elliot and Sky being used for both boys and girls so I suppose that counts. Otherwise there’s this character called Badger that I really like. That’s about it I think.

2 Likes

Not my main characters, but I’ve got side characters in my current WIP with gender-neutral names. Honestly, I prefer them.

Ash - Ashley
Ross - Roscoe
Alex - Alexander
Dom - Dominic
Jasper
Arden
Francis
Casey
Blue
Angel
Bailey
Jamie
Blair
Harley

2 Likes

Let’s see if I can remember everyone

Blue
Rowan
Fox
Oriel - I started stumbling across it used for females after the book was written but mine is male
Aurynn - This particular spelling definitely looks more feminine to me but I’ve seen the name itself used for males and females with various spellings
Tamsin
Zephyr
Aspen
Max
Ashe
Charlie
Sutton
Avery
Moray - I’ve never come across this used as a name aside from my character but I feel like it could be gender neutral?
Riley
Julep - Again only ever seen it used for my character but sounds gender neutral to me
Mal - Gonna count this even though his full name (Maolmordha) is masculine because nobody calls him Maolmordha lol
Tatum

I’m sure I have more but I can’t think of them right now

1 Like

In my short story All RAMs, Great and Small the main character Samantha has the nickname Sam. A name and idea I pinched from the TV series Foyle’s War.

Somewhat related, several languages have different masculine and feminine spellings for a name, but both names have the same pronunciation. Something you could experiment with. The character Jayne (pronounced Jane), from the series Firefly, could be one example.

2 Likes

Umm…what? LOL
How do you pronounce that?

i don’t give my ocs gender neutral names. in fact i sometimes switch the names

for instance there is a girl character named ives

1 Like