Genre-inflected examples

At the risk of sounding stupid… I read today about an agent who likes genre-inflected books. I know what ‘genre’ means and what ‘inflected’ means, so pretty sure I know what ‘genre-inflected’ means, but google isn’t helping me here! Google doesn’t seem to think ‘genre-inflected’ means anything when I search for examples of genre-inflected books.

Any help?

3 Likes

Yeah…I am just as lost as you are.
Hopefully, someone will come and give us the answers we seek.

2 Likes

I think they are an alien

4 Likes

It sounds like they’re making things up, because it doesn’t make any sense, I don’t even know what they’re trying to say.

4 Likes

You sure it’s not just a typo?

3 Likes

I think it just means genre mixing/pulling in classic themes from other genres?? Like pulling a murder mystery into a fantasy setting or bringing sci-fi into historical fiction.

3 Likes

Now I want to know too!

3 Likes

If we used this definition of “inflected”

vary the intonation or pitch of (the voice), especially to express mood or feeling

then my guess is that they mean that the genre is… uhm… mild and not overwhelming?

So maybe it’s a comparison between literary and genre fiction. Maybe this agent wants a literary novel with hints of genre? Which is really stupid since all literary books have hints of genre fiction by default.

Ok, I tried. Final verdict is in - the agent wanted to sound fancy by inventing new terms. This is definitely not an industry standard expression.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! At least I’m not the only one scratching my head.

5 Likes

Their loquaciousness will be their doom

4 Likes

Genres aren’t like spices, you can’t have a mild thriller or a mild sci-fi.

2 Likes

Basically, you guys think she wanted mixed genre. I, on the other hand, think she wants a clear genre, because for me inflected is a syllable in a word that gets the inflection. Lol.

4 Likes

I mean…for all we know she could have disorganized speech due to a mental illness

1 Like

I think it depends on the genre. You can have a mild sci-fi, sort of like soft sci-fi - just a bit of sci-fi elements.

But a thriller, I agree. A mild thriller is a failed thriller.

3 Likes

Soft sci fi isn’t mild-Star Wars isn’t exactly mild.

1 Like

Star Wars is a space opera. Those are by definition… much. :joy:

3 Likes

I think so too, but there is a much better way to say that, like multi-genre, cross-genre, hybrid genres. The word they’re using is not meant to be used this way, and it pains me to see it treated so (sarcasm, lol).

2 Likes

Legit question–is there ever actual opera in space opera? Because the idea of an opera, in space, where people sing (technically without any noise, because sound wouldn’t carry) sounds absolutely insane in the best way possible.

5 Likes

If there isn’t, there should be.

2 Likes

It has elements of Opera in it:

`Space opera is a subgenre of science fictionthat emphasizes science fictional space warfare, with use of melodramatic, risk-taking space adventures, relationships, and chivalric romance.

`

2 Likes