Get Your Concept Rated/Reviewed

I’m stressed and I need a distraction! Tell me about your story’s concept/idea and I’ll give you a rating out of 10 based on things like intrigue, originality, promise, and complexity. Try to keep it in a few lines and just tell me the concept and not paragraphs of descriptions of the plot. If you can’t break your story down into its core concept, or haven’t tried before now, now is the time to practice!

I might also leave some thoughts about what I think, but beware, I am not going to sugar coat my thoughts if I think it sounds cliched or convoluted. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Maybe if I really like it I might check it out. :eyes: No promises though. Remember to follow the rules and not post any links.

Feel free to also leave your thoughts and ratings of other people’s concepts if you think something sounds cool! I welcome chatting about concepts and ideas as long as it doesn’t stray too far off topic. ^^

12 Likes

Since my current WIP is way too convoluted to shorten into a few sentences, here’s the logline of my first completed manuscript :slight_smile:

After centuries of being imprisoned in a glass bottle, Zanixa is out to find her momma, but the world is a dangerous one for a small firefox kit.

7 Likes

Have at it, Blue Jay :rofl:

In 2019, Aidan is an Edinburgh tour guide with a mythical secret.
In 1919, Saoirse is a Great War nurse who’s got nothing left to live for - until the sea brings a naked, unconscious man to her feet.

5 Likes

8/10

I like the world building and intrigue you have put in here! I want to know why she was imprisoned, how this adventure will go, and I am interested in how ‘firefoxes’ work in this world. The only thing putting me off is some of the wording feels a little childish. But if this is a young teens book, that makes sense.

5 Likes

It’s actually a Middle Grade book, so for ages 10-13 :slight_smile: But hell yeah!

3 Likes

7/10

Though this is also more log line than concept. :wink:
I am interested, but it feels a little disjointed. I am more interested in the second half, which builds some intrigue about “what is happening?” and “why is this happening?” and makes me want to find out. While with the first half, the concept of a character with a ‘secret’ that makes them extraordinary is a little tired and doesn’t do much to intrigue me. It has me asking “And then what?” but not in a way that makes me ready to rush to the book to find out…

4 Likes

Yeah that age range matches the tone pretty well then!

2 Likes

Awesome! All good, then.

1 Like

Wes Faulkner has a problem, he’s just received an anonymous note saying that in forty-eight hours, his wife, Marcia, will be murdered. With the police indifferent, he turns to his old pal, disgraced cop turned private eye Rick. Can they uncover the truth in time to save Marcia’s life? Or does a far darker truth lurk in the shadows?

4 Likes

Hah, yeah, I wasn’t sure exactly how the concept was supposed to look so I copied the first two sentences of my blurb which kind of sum up the parallel storylines.

It is a disjointed story! So that actually good, lol.

Thankies, Blue Jay :kissing_heart: I always suck at (my own) blurbs anyway :rofl:

3 Likes

8/10 would watch the movie

3 Likes

8/10

Oooooh very intriguing! The note and 48 hour timeline is a great way to establish suspense. I find the ‘police indifferent’ line a little odd. I get what you are saying, but I am not sure if thats the most effective way to communicate it. Maybe “unconcerned”? :thinking: Just a thought.

I think this does a great job of building up a classic noir detective story. ^^ That being said, ‘classic’ is kind of its weak point. I am not sure what is new or different about this concept. But if I was looking for an classic mystery to read, this sounds like it!

3 Likes

8/10 I like stuff that involves long passages of time, so you’ve got me there

1 Like

tbh same :joy:

2 Likes

It would be produced by the BBC, mark my words! :joy:
Edinburg? Great War nurse?

3 Likes

yeahhhh, my PitMad pitch is going to be: Outlander meets Downton Abbey, with a selkie twist :rofl:

3 Likes

Unconcerned might be a better way to put it. I have only just started writing this story, so I’ll probably come up with a better blurb later. I’ll make a note of that though :slight_smile:

To be honest that’s kind of my goal. I want to bring back classic noir. It’s kind of like “what’s old is new again.” Even if the tropes are similar, there’s a lot of people who have never heard of or watched/read the classic works of Noir, so I would love to be able to reintroduce people to that style.

2 Likes

Yep, I can picture it now hehe

1 Like

I think that’s a great concept! Is this based in the modern day or is it based in the past?

1 Like

I can’t even shorten mine into a paragraph, much less a few lines! :sweat_smile:

A scientist studying the ecology of a planet’s island discovers a trove of a rare type of crystals underneath the island. She and a young girl from the island must go make their case why the crystals must not be mined, meanwhile a former princess seeks revenge for the death of her sisters.

3 Likes