-Title text is a bit small, but this is somewhat unavoidable

Option 2:
-A bit less specific/unique, but more understandable
-Gives thematically fitting perception of setting
-Some minor quirks in the details
-Almost looks more like a business park

Thoughts?

6 Likes

They look like no other book in bookstores.

I like fish so 1

1 Like

Is this a negative in your eyes?

1 Like

I love the bottom one! And it looks more like a school, which to me should be what you’re aiming for to pull in readers. But you’re right that it might be mistaken for a business park or something too. Still, it’s way more aesthetically pleasing to me than the top one, but that’s a totally subjective thing. Love the font in both of them! ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

I don’t think so, but book marketing likes to create familarity. Ex: Oh this book reminds me of this book, I’ll buy it.

1 Like

Yes, exactly, it should make the reader think it’s like some other similar comp title, so they’ll be more likely to take a chance on it. Yup, yup. *nods sagely*

1 Like

I’m no graphic design expert (which is why I’m asking y’all for help), but some comp titles I can see on my bookshelf include cloud cover with no other distinguishing details (Infinite Jest), a family stuck in suburban traffic (White Noise), and a plain orange background (White Teeth)—there aren’t really comparisons to be made between covers in lit fic other than that they tend to not be literal.

2 Likes

Color catches the eye. The 2nd seems a bit too business end. Which are both merits, for this type of book.

1 Like

I like the first one. It’s cute and I’d be drawn to picking it up based on the cover to see what it was about. The second one is a little boring imo, not bad just not as grabbing.

1 Like

Adjusted the text sizing slightly so my name wasn’t bigger than the title:

2 Likes

Option 1.
Theme, theme, THEME. Paradoxically, nothing drives originality quite like the exploration of a universal paradigm.

1 Like

I really like the first one, but it needs bigger font. Do you want to send me the base image for me to give a shot with playing with fonts?

2 Likes

I only have a saved copy of the base image uncropped, although I’m pretty sure Canva will automatically force this to match what I used (the pictures I sent are screen snips from Canva, but should be somewhere around 332x516)—thanks for offering your help:

1 Like

Maybe something like this (just giving you ideas)

4 Likes

Interesting design.

The council has voted for the original option 1, unfortunately, and so I’m going to go with that. Besides, I think something more understated fits better thematically.

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and alternate designs!

2 Likes

tricky, tricky.

I’ll say 1 because it makes me curious. The second one is cleaner but it’s also a bit generic (though I love the drawing which is why it’s kinda tricky). But if we’re going with what’s more likely to make me do a double-take, it’s the first.

But you’re going to have to do something about the title. This type of font just disappears with the busy background. I’m not sure what the “best” font for this situation is. You might have to experiment but definitely something clearer.
The A novel by… looks great as is. Just the title.

I like Domi’s concept. Maybe not exactly that way but it’s something to play with.

1 Like

I prefer the second cover. I think the title size and placement are better.

Also, you might want to move this to the feedback subcategory of The Artists’ Showroom?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.