How come fantasy is more popular than science-fiction?

Ah yes, Fantasy, everyone’s (almost everyone’s) favorite genre. It seems that fantasy is just way more popular than science-fiction from where I am seeing it. Not saying that science-fiction isn’t popular, but between popular fantasy books and popular science-fiction books, which is has a larger fanbase and sells more, in your opinion. Personally, I love science-fiction (more so science-fantasy) because it reminds me of just how far humanity can progress on Earth and in space. I find space travel cool and something that I can only wish happen. Fantasy is great and all with the magic and adventures, but I don’t care about the past that much. I strive to look towards the future. There are only a few fantasy stories that where I would want to reside in that world because of how beautifully well written and crafted it is. Far as science-fiction, I would love to live on terraformed Mars or some space colony or some distant Earth like planet.

All in all, Fantasy seem like the more popular of the two because when people escape from the reality world they prefer to be taken someplace else. A world full of dragons, magic, adventures, and castles is a place for them. That is great and all, but I need my technology otherwise I will lose it.

What do you think though? Is fantasy more important than science-fiction or about the same?

One thing that I noticed in fantasy (mainly high/epic) is the need for European influences like Medieval Times. I get that is a thing and something that people feel comfortable doing, but oh my lord, why does it have to be medieval Europe in every non-Earth high or epic fantasy novel/television series/movie/etc almost every time?

Lend me your thoughts!

2 Likes

I agree. I enjoy fantasy and still like to see it, but science fiction is more appealing to me. I see more original ideas in sci-fi because you’re right, fantasy tends to rely on the same old themes too much, like the medieval Europe aesthetics. It gets a little old.

1 Like

Exactly. Like I don’t mind it once in a while, but it feels like an everyday thing to me which is becoming stale.

I find science-fiction more enjoyable because of the endless possibilities that comes with it.

I just wanna travel to distant planets and see the cosmos.

Just saying. LOL!

1 Like

I love Fantasy, and I love Sci-Fi… I love both mixed…

Is one more important than the other? Not at all, I think they are both very important in differing ways.

Fantasy for many is an easy escape from their (inset reason here) lives. While Sci-Fi can, and usually does take more to focus on, and not as easy to escape from the drone of life. Maybe Star Wars can do this easily as they are not asking you to understand the science behind it, just that it is a thing, and it can happen.

Fantasy is easier to escape into as it is usually set in a familiar world. With many “Ye Olde tropes”, and easy to understand civilisations.
Sci-Fi can do this also (War of the Worlds), but often goes beyond the confines of Earth, and introduce many Science-y problems which can only be overcome with the understanding of the Science-y stuff, or pure luck at times.

They both have a place, and they are both very much important. Sci-Fi has many more possibilities which can be explored, yet a good Fantasy has the more “Easy reading escapism” element which is mainly why people enjoy it.

SD

2 Likes

I definitely love fantasy more than science fiction because of the easier ability to shape worlds. Whem it comes to magic, you can create any sort of magic system and differents ways that it works and interacts with the rest of the world. It’s really interesting to see the results and easy to learn. The amount of implications it could have are endless.

On the flip side, science fiction has a lot more boundaires since science is a thing that actually exists. It’s difficult to make something that wouldnt work in reality, even if most science fiction is in fact stretching the truth or making theories that havent been proven into reality. Thats why when I go for scifi, I usually go for something like Tron, My Hero Academia, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, or anything cyberpunk (whats not to love about cyberpunk?). Sure, they are still scifi and still bend the rules of science, but they do so in ways that make sense so it works easily. Similarly, I see a lot of things needing to make sense like, “if X thing were possible, then all this other stuff” rather than “let’s break Y law and be able to do these things that cant be done and make zero sense as to why you can do them.” The story wouldnt be very good because it wouldnt make sense! And I think that stops a lot of people from thinking of and creating scifi worlds because they have to line up with other rules, you cant just create your own rules and your own bipasses so easily.

Also because magic. Magic is great. I wont back down, I love science fantasy specifically science fiction with magic in it. Gimme them aliens who have magic that is also science but still magic but can be blocked by either magic means or science means. Destiny, Star Wars, and Marvel are prime examples of my fave science fanasties.

3 Likes

Technically speaking… fantasy and science fiction are the same.

2 Likes

What makes you say that?

Also, Happy Birthday to you!!!

1 Like

Exactly this! I prefer fantasy to scifi because of the fact that its so much easier to bend rules in fantasy. Im a kid who never really did well with science or technology things and it never interested me too much, so I feel like to read or write scifi specifically, I have to learn this whole new topic of science that I just dont really want to?

Ill read scifi if its not extremely complex, because then my simple brain can understand. But science is my weakness. I just cant for the life of me get into it much. But with fantasy it is limitless. I can do whatever i want and make it make sense somehow. It just makes it fun.

2 Likes

Well… at its core, science fiction & fantasy share the same elements:

• An isolated society which is distant from us in time or space
  • A morally significant language
  • An inquisitive outsider
  • A morally significant language
  • The importance of documents
  • A rational or idealised attitude toward sex

Also, the modern genres of science fiction & fantasy (and horror) come from ‘genre fantastique’ or ‘the fantastic way of writing’, born from (and as a reaction against) debates about imagination and fancy during the Romantic movement.

(Thanks :blush:)

2 Likes

That’s why I like steampunk, or what steampunk could be, if it wasn’t so rigid and clichéd. You can have the past and future in one story! ( ˆ◡ˆ)۶ ٩(˘◡˘ )

2 Likes

Fantasy is vastly more popular than science fiction because it is all about the familiar with a speculative element. It bases itself on the folklore and history and every day houses, palaces, plates etc.

Every science fiction book has a high entry barrier requiring a reader to memorize far more things and having by far more unfamiliar lingo. It also historically relies on books written in really heavy styles. Literally, not a single sci-fi was a popular book before it became a movie since really, really old stuff that is nowadays considered unreadable.

Dystopian is a notable exception with Hunger Games as a flagship.

3 Likes

A part of it is the reading level that is expected.

No, not that all science fiction difficult, but you’ve got 2 things going on in high-end science fiction:

1. Literary bent:

Some science fiction is very speculative, asking deep questions about the nature of man. Flowers for Algernon is a great example: that is often just labeled a classic or literary fiction, but it’s science fiction. They did a “miracle cure” for low IQ on a man, to see how it would work. That’s not even feasible right now. That means they had to “sell the science”, so I could suspend my disbelief, and thet did it through the ever-changing mind of the man being tested. Another one I talk about on here, calling it Feminist Anthem is Native Tongue. It’s set in a future where women’s right to vote and be considered legally competent was stripped from them, from the family of linguists who worked women as equal-yet-slaves, in translating alien languages, while making a language that men wouldn’t believe was real, so that women could talk without them monitoring what women said and did: you have to be a linguist to even think like this book, in order to write it. But it’s a book that questions the nature of language bolding women back from being able to express themselves succinctly. And it was doing things with language that slang is only getting to, now. The concept of “Brother from another mother” or “sister from another mister” was not succinctly expressed back when the book was written. It over-hyped men as finding women too emotional to reason, but it did deal with some real problems of language. There’s plenty that’s not succinctly covered in language. For example, if I could write djdjjjjsk, and this whole paragraph was covered by that gibberish, then I wouldn’t have to write all this out.

But it shows that there’s a strong bent in some science fiction of NOT being an escape from reality, but forcing your nose in the bad of reality like you did it and need to change.

2. Selling the future:

A light saber is just a magic sword. The force is just magic. But if you don’t get a little technical, you’re not selling the magic sword as a light saber. The requirements to make tech seem relatable and beyond us means borrowing from other tech and expanding on it. Hard Fantasy borrows from what is necessary in science fiction, to make a richer fantasy environment, but magic doesn’t inherently require that we “expand on the tech”.

So, that’s the part where it is foundationally different in nature.

3. Now for the part where "our brains suck":

Studies show that we are hard-wired for religion. They have to turn off parts of your brain to get to to not believe in a higher power. It’s always sold as “a part of your primitive mind that we should evolve out of”, but in reality, if it was any other part of how your brain functions and it was turned off, we tend to call that brain damage and the results a psychopath. (Side point to show how it sucks to be so absolute in your arguemnts.) Another aspect they have found is that if you don’t fill that void in how the mind works with “religion”, then you fill that void with “superstition”: I really don’t need to define either, the studies do that well enough. The brain is just wired for this stuff and we all have to cope with it in our own way.

All this to say that fantasy and science fiction fills those same voids. (Really, all writing does to some degree.) It’s why we see something in a random book we’ve read and it somehow becomes our mottos that we live by. It’s why so many people fuss about writing characters that glorify negative behaviors. We know, in part, that we are filling a void in how our minds work. Our books become our friends, we roleplay, we talk to characters as if they were real.

But like the pendulum of religion vs. superstition, we have a hard time being in “too many camps”. Camp science likes technical writing and deep human philosophical questions wrapped up in bullet bullet gun gun! It’s harder for them to get into, escapism, the final frontier of fantasy. Just like Regency and Highschool romance doesn’t have the same headspace.

Now, I said all that while being an Egalitarian reader/writer. So, I’m saying all this with a huge grain of salt that has “and?” written on it. I tend towards fantasy that covers questions about the human condition, which means I’m not fitting the divisions. I may not ever get a fan base for being like that. Certainly wouldn’t gain that through writing werewolf romances, either.

1 Like

Because you can let rip more. Make more things up

Oh Lord, the arguments on warp science alone!

1 Like

I have a sci-fi idea that involves gangsters and aliens.

1 Like

It should work.

2 Likes

Yeah it will be coming soon. After I wrote Dmitri and Julio

1 Like

Truth. Is why science fiction/fantasy is grouped together in book stores too.

Happy birthday!!

2 Likes

One thing i have noticed is that the complexity of science fiction can entice a lot of people to science fiction because of that. But generally, people arent wanting all that smarties stuffs, unless they can take it at base value. Movies get away with simplifying complex scifi stuff a lot better than books can!

2 Likes

I love the different kinds of punk themes. Theres so many to play with! Pick an era and theres probably a punk tto match it, search it up and you got tons of what youre looking for. Such vibes.

2 Likes