how do you write romance?

Okay, so I’ve been really craving the idea of writing a romance book, right? I don’t know why, but I just want to write a sweet and cheesy cliche book, but the issue is that I don’t understand romance. At all. I’m aromantic. Extremely aromantic. So romance is a foreign enough concept to me without even making it the main genre of a book.

See, normally I’d just drop the idea, but for some reason it’s literally all I can think about and I can’t write anything else. I have a very oversimplified view of relationships. To me it’s just . I click with people or I don’t. I’m friends with people or I’m not. And to be honest, if I write it in the way I experience relationships, I could probably finish the story in five chapters or less, but that’s actually the opposite of what I want to do. It’s not going to be extremely long because half of the time I don’t even have the attention span for chapter one, but I want it to be at least 10-15 chapters so I need something, yknow?

I guess my question here is just… how . How do people do it. How do people make it feel interesting and engaging without overdoing it or making it feel super boring? How do you write romance? :sob:

3 Likes
  1. Well, get a good list of tropes and see which ones you like, first. That helps you narrow down what you want to deal with, really quick.

I don’t know them by name, but I’ve been a romance reader for nearly 30 years. The stories are a bit instinct, now.

1. My Mini Moo novella (40K) is a romance that starts with no doubt on the interest between the couple. That’s more the behavior of the supporting couple in teen romances, which is why I say they SHOULD be the supporting couple, but aren’t because it’s a story with cows in it.

So, you can write interest from the start that both are up front about. It’s just less common.

1. The thing about romances is that the usual layout of hero and villain is more hero and villain becomes saviorish? Basically, one of the characters isn’t good with a relationship, resists a relationship, fucks up a relationship, to add 10 more chapters to the book than necessary.

2. A good rule of thumb is: what 3 obstacles are preventing a happily ever after? How long would it take to set that up and then to resolve it?

4 Likes

There’s a certain formula to romance, and it all depends on the type you’re going for. Enemies to lovers, strangers to lovers, strangers to friends to lovers, friends to lovers, etc. This is more of a base that you can build with tropes you like, certain themes, subplots, and so on.

As someone who has never been in a relationship before, or even been kissed, it can be a bit discouraging because it’s different to writing something that’s fictional… like flying on a dragon. Romance is something experienced by a lot of people and readers can tell if you’ve never had a relationship before or did your research based on how it’s written (in other words, unrealistic depictions of feelings or the way how a character can act kind of thing). But once you do your research, romance becomes the easiest genre to write. :sweat_smile:

Personally, I don’t read many books that are just romance, especially since there’s various levels of it (spice, no spice, erotica, etc.) and it can be hard to find the type you’re wanting to write. You can, however, analyze it when it’s a sub-genre in other books you may read. Most books, at least these days anyway, tend to use romance as a subplot, so it’s far easier that way if you want to consume it without being overwhelmed by the pure romance section. But, for me, I will often use movies as my research because they’re quite similar to how novels will play out, especially since some movies are based off books. :sweat_smile:

So… back to the formula! The few things you want to think about first are:

1. How do these characters come to love each other?

Think about how you become friends with people. As you said, you either click with someone or you don’t. Well, in a way, it’s very similar to that, friendship, I mean. But there’s often a few things that pull people closer together such as their common interests, how they act around one another, etc.

I mean, you wouldn’t want to become friends with someone who is the complete opposite of you, judges and gossips about you, right? You want to become friends with someone who you can talk to about all sorts of things, be honest with, share things with, etc. That’s like relationships, in a way. The significant other technically is your best friend, and most of the time, they share a more intimate lifestyle with you.

But honestly, you don’t have to make a romance between two people who share that intimacy (doing the devil’s tango, kissing, etc.) because you can write about a couple who doesn’t share those qualities (Aces, for example). But if you want to add in kissing or something, it doesn’t have to be much at all. The common misconception with people who don’t know much about the romance genre is how romance is supposedly identified as having those steamy or steamy-looking scenes, but you can go an entire novel with the characters barely even touching. An example being the 1998 movie You’ve Got Mail where the love interests have their first kiss at the very, very end… when they finally get together.

But anyway, back to the main topic: find reasons for these characters to find themselves in situations where they gain feelings for one another.

1. Why can’t they be together?

Romances end in happily ever afters, but in a story, there is always something in the way that makes them not have that happy ending. This is your main conflict. This can be anything from miscommunication to a problem that arises between the couple or outside of the couple. For example, in Maid of Honor, they can’t be together because the love interest is getting married when the main character finally realizes he loves his best friend. In While You Were Sleeping, she lied to the family while he was in a coma about being with him, and then falls for the brother but still can’t be with him due to that lie. In How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, it’s not only their lies but the fact that it was all based on a bet and didn’t seem real.

1. How is that resolved?

To get to the happily ever after, there has to be something that resolves the main issue, so the next thought is… how? What happened? This can be anything from compromising, to realizing they need to be together and will work it out, to simply professing their love for each other. This is mostly the same way you’d resolve any other conflict from other genres and stories, so it isn’t that different.

Now, the problem then comes down to the length because a lot of stories can be resolved quite simply, but this is also where subplots come in and stretching out the main conflict along with the other mini-conflicts. So, for example, in You’ve Got Mail, the main problem between the characters that isn’t romance related is how the female MC is losing her bookstore because of the male MC creating a massive bookstore where she’ll lose her customers. The other problem is that while the two are friends online, they are anonymous, despite knowing each other in person but being enemies. Once the two (online) wants to meet in person, the male MC finds out who she really is and uses that to his advantage by becoming friends with her in person (because offline, she hates him). As this happens, they slowly begin to fall in love with each other. But it doesn’t happen instantly because it’s slow burn—they get to know each other and find out that they aren’t as horrible as they thought (from a professional enemy standpoint).

Your subplots can be of anything from any genre, so you can keep it engaging with things happening outside of the romance, whether this has something to do with the families, friends, school or work, etc. For example, Jane the Virgin is a rom-com TV show that’s played off as a soap opera. However, it has multiple elements and layers that keeps you engaged because of all the drama that happens, even outside the romance. The main subgenre is crime, and every episode gets crazier and more twisty as it goes on.

The show is about a 20-something (she’s 23 in the first season, but she gets older as time passes) year old who accidentally gets artificially inseminated, causing her to become pregnant. But she’s a virgin (as the title states), and her boyfriend/fiance (Michael) isn’t too happy about it, but tries to be supportive in her decisions. However, the baby-daddy is Jane’s boss (Rafael), a guy she had a crush on years prior. There’s a love triangle between the three of them, and that becomes a bigger element later on. The crime part is that Michael is a detective and is looking into a crime-lord who just so happens to be Rafael’s step-mother but is secretly dating his sister. There’s also issues with Rafael’s wife/ex-wife who has a crime-related backstory with a horrid mother.

It just goes to show that you don’t have to write something that is complete romance (or have romantic themes) to keep it engaging. While your main genre should stay as romance, you can have other elements from other genres to keep readers (and yourself) interested in its continuation. :wink:

5 Likes

My advice is to give the relationship problems to work through. Focusing on the middle is rarer but more interesting than focusing on the beginning.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there’s really a secret tip, personally, it comes rather naturally. But like for every genre, I think the most important is to have a story idea/plot.

You said you want to write a sweet romance, but is it all you have? How would your characters be? What do they want? What would drive them?
Would you go for opposite attracts? Best friends to lovers? Love at first sight? Forbidden? There are so many possibilities.

I think from then on, you will have idea for what could stand on their way and how they would get closer.

Also my tips like for everything is to read romances, even watch movies, and listen to love songs. You will find ideas about romantic relationships and their development.

I hope it helps a little, and remember to listen to your heart :two_hearts: I know you’re aromantic, but you seem to love writing, and it’s a kind of love/passion that can inspire you :wink:

3 Likes

To build off this, all that a drive for writing is and a drive for sex is, is a drive of passion.

This is why people who aren’t constantly looking for a relationship or sex often have time for other persuits. And I mean they’ve done big “fall of nations” studies that show nations are their most productive when their people are celibate when single and monogamous when together. And I don’t mean serial monogamy, in those studies.

Not that anyone has to live their life by a study, it’s just to point out that all these things are tied together because the different parts of ourselves don’t live in a vacuum.

And it has variations:
Spouse is more productive when needs are met. I’m more productive when frustrated.

So, for someone who isn’t really into the more obvious signs of a relationship, it’s easiest to build off a non-sexual mutual passion than just being attracted to someone, for a story.

Which in all honesty is more true to life. I avoided dating guys I was merely attracted to as I got older, but went after mutual interests, and formed a relationship off that.

4 Likes

I havent read any of the comments yet, but my best advice would be to write it from your perspective. That meaning, write about an aromatic character that gets thrown into a romantic situation. (Tricked into a dating show, or speed dating) one of these situations and how they have to figure out and open up that side of themselves and over time they can discover a part of them that actually does need/like love.

Instead of forcing yourself to be something your not, or your brain to work in a way it doesn’t, use that to your advantage.

6 Likes

How to write romance? Judging by some of these “popular romance books”, you just blurt out whatever the hell you’re thinking at that moment, and somehow it ends up on shelves.

Write about how much you hate the said man. How much you’d never be with him.

Come up with a random event, i.e. a wedding to force them together.

Don’t forget your bad boy/6’4 blue-eyed pain in the ass either!

Find something in common on the said event. Realize he’s not so bad.

Start to bond. Realize you are made for each other.

Take it further, he is the one after all. Love it up by the end. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Also, bonus points if you add in a more than kissing in a few scenes.

5 Likes

When it comes to writing romance, I think the biggest thing you want to grapple with is the characters. Something I’ve found is that romance, unlike most other genres, tends to be more character led rather than plot led. Plot still matters, but readers are far more forgiving of plot holes and strange plotlines when they get to see the characters interacting and ‘falling in love.’ In fact i think it would be super awesome if you wrote an aromantic character!

Honestly, I think that when it comes to Romance, its a lot easier to think of things in terms of bonding/trusting. Romance is subjective, I might a scene that I think is super cheesy, epically romantic and then have readers who are just like ‘meh, okay.’ Relationships (of any kind not just romance) take time to develop, so take your time with having the characters find about each other, about whether they’re compatible, whether they want the same things.

I think lots of people here have given some really good advice already. Honestly, the best thing you can probably do is read lots of romance! Pick apart the genre, to find out what works and what doesn’t, or what trope you might find good to play with. Depending on the vibe you’re going for, there are plenty of options out there! A lot of my ideas came from reading other peoples works and wanting to play around with similar themes/tropes/character dynamics.

I think the ‘trick’ with romance, isn’t even about being romantic. It’s just about showing what it means to be human, and what it means to be vulnerable.

3 Likes

Only follow this advice ironically

3 Likes

Start with lovers you want to end up together. People who are interesting and captivating in some way. Treat the love interest of the main character as antagonist–not enemies to lovers per se, but give them different motivations and agendas that will be in conflict. The conflict should escalate as the romance progresses. If they are working on the same issue on the same level (he is rude, she is shy) it will become monotone. But don’t swap the conflict. The issue between them should grow. And, a happy ending. If you are aromantic, use your experiences to inform characters, for example, parallel the lovers’ journey with a happiness of an aromantic character.

3 Likes

I’d hate for our convos to get used. Dang.

1 Like

lmfao :flushed: R-Rated

Definitely offbeat spicy.

1 Like

Yeah, offbeat cause I am in them.

Spicy 'cause you are.

okay, definitely didn’t forget i made this post.

anyway, thank you guys for taking the time to explain it to me. i’ve come to the unexpected realization that i’ve been looking at romantic relationships like they’re some sort of alien species and not just another type of relationship, but i think i have an idea of what i want to do and how i’m going to do it now, so again, thank you a bunch <33

i’d say i definitely overcomplicated it to a degree. :sob:

this statement triggered memories from my early wattpad years. i spent too much time between the ages of 10-14 unironically reading these stories and i think the negative impact it has left on me is the reason i’m aromantic

i don’t know if i’d even follow it ironically LMFIFJFKF

1 Like

But a tad more generic spicy. Sriracha mayo.

2 Likes

They are toxic alright.

Fine, can it at least have Cholula in it?

1 Like

Where is Cholula being placed in me? I mean it could be in you of you count your offbeat as syncopation.

2 Likes

Do you want things spiced up?

1 Like