How to create a good magic system?

My story is set in a futuristic yet magical world where things like magic powers and advanced tech coexist.

The magic that exist in my story is rather…interesting. Magical power is called Asterion and it comes in three types of First, Second, and Third type.

First Types are the most powerful and strong of all Asterion users. There is nothing that they can not do and there aren’t many restrictions.

Second Types aren’t all that powerful and strong but they still rise above the Asterion users. There is only so much that they can do yet they can do more than Third Types.

Third Types are Asterion users who are weak and use the most basic of magical powers and strength. They are mostly made up of the Clerks and Blanks(commoners and the poor). They can do much and are still learning about their magical abilities. Sadly, it can be a while before they reach to a higher type.

I need to figure out somethings and could really use some help.
What do you think?

I shall return to edit/add more things. If you have questions, feel free to ask but I shall answer to the best of my ability.

1 Like

This link can help. It explain’s Sanderson’s Three Laws of Magic, which can help in building a magic system.

Personally when I create a magic system, I try to focus on three things:

1. What can they do with it?
  2. What can they not do with it?
  3. What are the “side effects” of using it, in a sense?

Once I’m able to answer those questions, I more or less have an idea of what the magic system is like.

2 Likes

Wow, when I think about it my magic system seem lacking and ridiculous. Geez!

2 Likes