How to write for fun first then career second????

I am nowhere near being a published author.

However, I can dream and ponder, but even that gets tiresome.

So, how do I write for fun(always) while holding onto the idea of getting published as an author?

Tell me, how do you do that?
Lend me your honest thoughts.

The road to success is paved with bumps and cracks, yet the rest of the way is smooth sailing.

Meh, that quote could be worse…

3 Likes

I totally understand what you’re going through! I also think about that when I’m writing, but the best way, I’ve found, is to just forget about being published. Think about why you began to write in the first place. Forget about others telling you what to correct in your books and whatnot, because first and foremost, it’s your book.

4 Likes

you literally don’t. This game is hopeless for real. Just write for fun

4 Likes

Well, that was pretty blunt. LOL!

Thanks so much.

At this point, I don’t care about genre fiction. I don’t care about being the next best thing, or being published under a big name label and I pretty much pants everything I write. I’ve realized that planning ahead doesn’t work for me, and neither do most of these “x act structures” or “x points” planning. I make up notes and essential points as I go.

Do you know why? I know my stories well, and I know my characters well. I don’t see the point in forcing them through methods that worked for X author and probably won’t work for you and your stories because they’re vastly different.

This is where people get stressed out when it’s not clicking for them when X author did x method, and y happened. Do you know why it’s not working? You’re not Stephen King, K.M Weiland, or Brandon Sanderson. You don’t write the exact same stories as them, and they’ve found out what works for them.

What worked to get them published might not work for you. So no sense in stressing over it. If you’re gonna be published by a big publisher, it’s gonna happen. If not, you can always try self-pub for money. Yes, it won’t be as vast, but at least you have more freedom. You can publish your story the way in which it was intended to be read. You can get the message out that way.

4 Likes

I’m starting to feel like this thread was somewhat pointless, not because of the comments not being “helpful” enough, but because I am wondering what the hell, I should be doing for myself…personally.

So, I will write for myself the way the story is intended to be…just need to gain an audience who cares a little.

2 Likes

It’s funny you mentioned this name because I actually have some of her books…I barely read them.

I have a Brandon Sanderson and Stephen King book and I’ve barely read those too.

Reading fiction is a challenge for me and I prefer writing more-so than reading anyway.

1 Like

I’ve found that when you try to use famous books to demonstrate the three-act structure, five-act structure or whatever, they don’t fit anyway! Even the greatest writers couldn’t contain their stories to a rigid template, so it’s silly for any of us to try. I do believe every book should have structure, of course, but trying to squeeze in every pinch point and plot point is a waste of time. (*・_・)ノ⌒*

2 Likes

Interesting. :thinking:

Well, you and @JohnnyTuturro along with @RowanCarver really helped me come to an understanding. I am doing my own thing and I will follow my own writing path as I have been. So, I won’t try to imitate other writers’ structure on how to make a story work.

I’m still going to have a ball with my stories, but this time, I am doing things my way.

If Qualeshia doesn’t change, nobody is going to change for her.
Anyway, thanks for commenting.

2 Likes

K.M Weiland is funny to me because her book on character and her method is highly regarded and recommended but I’ve read some of her fiction and it’s not…good.

I agree with Johnny though. Write because you love it, study craft because you love it. I don’t like how hostile publishing is and I don’t like how much it despises creativity.

I can recommend some good books on fiction if you want to read more on craft. John Truby, Sol Stein, and John Gardner are the best imho. I’d also recommend Bradbury’s Zen in the Art of Writing essays and Steinbeck’s East of Eden Letters to see how true literary masters approach the writing process and craft. I think you’ll be surprised to find that many of them advise against writing fiction for money or trying to make a career out of it.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t shoot for a career if you really want to. But also don’t be discouraged if you find that it leads to a dead end.

4 Likes

True. Thanks for the advice.

well put! I agree

3 Likes

Yes. I think that if you show passion, and you radiate that passion that people will care also about your work, and want to read it. You need to engross them along the process, but yes, write for yourself most of all. It is your story after all.

Yeah, I don’t deny that she can give decent advice (Sanderson and King too) but following them to a tee won’t produce the same results as them, because they have a different input. You will get different results.

Exactly. Not every story will gave the same pinch points, and plot points. It needs to flow naturally to match what the story is.

2 Likes

I can get down with that.

True.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to be published. Ever since I started writing at the young age of twelve years old… the first time I’d ever written a story, the first time I ever read a book. In those exact moments, I knew what I wanted the most in life. To be published. But I never, not then and not now, had I ever gotten overboard where I’m not writing something for someone else. Everything I write is for me, for fun, for my own pure enjoyment that I get to share with others. The only thing I do, however, is focus on improving myself.

To be published, you do have to write well. Of course, there’s a lot of crappy stories out there and you can publish that… but if you want to be taken seriously, you want to have a good story to tell and something that’s written well. You have to learn the craft of writing and storytelling while also practicing it yourself. It’s not supposed to be overwhelming, stressful, or any other kind of nuance. That’s something a lot of people don’t really understand… that learning about it can’t be fun. It can. You just have to find ways to make it fun, and also find ways to change your attitude toward it.

Reading about it in a textbook most likely won’t help. But watching videos from AuthorTubers can, or reading articles about it with examples can, too. You don’t have to take notes, but you do want to keep it in mind and or save whatever it is so you can go back to it when you’re in the middle of writing.

You also don’t have to stress about editing either. Your first draft isn’t going to be perfect, and most likely neither will your second or third or fourth draft. People stress too much about editing, and that’s also why there’s a guideline out there that says to not edit until your draft is finished.

At the end of the day…

1. Write a book you’d want to read. Something you love, something you’re passionate about, something you really want to get out into the world.

2. Don’t focus on making it perfect. Don’t focus on how much editing you need to do. Don’t focus on the editing at all, specifically on a first draft.

3. Don’t focus on the length of time it takes to finish a book or the time it takes to become published. Writing a book takes a long time. Writing a book that’s been edited countless times takes even longer. Publishing said book takes even longer. It, truthfully, takes years to get from point A to point B, so it’s all about the journey.

4. Learn what you can in your spare time. If you have time to watch some videos on how to improve on so-and-so, do it. If you have time to create a prompt or write a scene for something you’re working to improve, do it. Don’t make excuses for not doing it. The more time you waste not learning the craft or not practicing, the longer it’ll take for your dream to become a reality. You may not want to do it, you may not feel inspired or motivated, but the more you do it, the more you’ll be willing to continue on.

5. **Never write for someone else. Never think, “Will people read this? Is this boring?” because if you’d read it, if you’d be intrigued by it, then there’s your answer. There are people like you, who enjoy similar things. Of course, it may not be the majority, but the minority exists. The minority wants it, and therefore, they will read it.

3 Likes

:pleading_face:

I loved that! Thank you so much!

Well, I used to stress about writing the perfect, best sentences or creating the perfect, best characters because I thought if I want to be published, I should stress about that. Then I read published books with horrid characters that other people love and adore, and realized that I don’t have to be stressing about that.

I can write what I want to write. Polish it until I’m satisfied.

Ultimately, I just do what I love.

That’s all there is to it.

Because if I don’t love and enjoy writing it, no one will enjoy reading it.

2 Likes

That makes sense so much.

1 Like

To add to this, I have this motto thing I came up with years ago saying, “I write for the people who read” and some people thought I was trying to be a reader-pleasing writer, but that’s not it. What I’m doing is creating stories that I want people to read. I write for them to read. For them to journey through Elgana :wink: For them to go on my story rollercoaster ride.

Because I loved going on those story rollercoasters myself.

Not in real life though. In real life, I cannot ride rollercoasters XD

2 Likes