I feel nothing as I read this. What about you?

I cannot be the only one.

1 Like

Yeah, I dropped out at “More and more and more”.

And the synopsis reminds me of the Emo movement. I predate that.

2 Likes

You predate a lot of things, and are wise to modern trends :slight_smile: Yeah, it was a bit too much of a slog for me too.

1 Like

You can jump to the comments if you want to hate people

Well, the best way to describe the difference between Emo and Goth as far as emotional state, when this first started is ,Goths are homicidal, Emos are suicidal . Not exactly accurate, but the style of music is more towards lashing out vs internalizing everything. There’s a stronger edge of helplessness to the latter, and as someone older who is used to the idea of curbstomping problems as a stylistic choice, it’s harder to take. It’s just the arbitrary line drawn between the two.

2 Likes

I like Goth fashion more but I don’t listen to the music.

Evanescence is what I think of, for late Goth. I was a kid through early Goth, and it wasn’t until almost a decade past my own light phase that Emo became a thing (thus making it my baby brother’s thing).

See, things like this:

1 Like

Nightwish is kind of like this but is classified as metal

If you can stomach more, I suspect the mc is a self insert, due to his lack of personality

1 Like

There’s a lot of European groups around the same era that makes Evanescence look more mainstream. But it’s definitely a similar style.

1 Like

Stopped during the infodump when they started coughing and within 2 weeks human population was gone. I can suspend my disbelief, but not to the same degree and the obvious allusions to Covid are just cheap.

I have a sticker on the wall of my office from Maass, with 4 rules of the setting.

Plausible, Emotionally grabbing, Has Conflict and Originality… this fails at the first one

5 Likes

Readershark will have to see a good doctor after that burn! I didn’t expect you to be so harsh but I entirely understand your point.

It always pisses me off when the super-scary plague’s only symptom is coughing, Real diseases, including Covid, aren’t that pretty with their symptoms. Severe dehydration, shortness of breath, rashes and boils, and even seizures are a lot more realistic and scarier at this point.

3 Likes

The first impression of the prose and setting is bad, but let’s look at the comments!

I find the characterization just as flat as the opening paragraph.

Those are his alts, right?

1 Like

Oh, yeah. My first story is plague (2018, so not Covid) and it’s not pretty.

3 Likes

I appreciate you doing that, it takes guts to write about an ugly sickness

2 Likes

I fear they are not

2 Likes

It was partially inspired by the book I was reading about Black Death, so…

2 Likes

i hate it

1 Like