I Found it. The Worst Possible Musical Adaptation.

It’s worse than Catch-22 the musical.

Kaiji is the name of a manga where, among several other things, the title character cuts off his ear to win a card game. In addition, it is focused on the psychological state of every character, which is either arrogant or on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I like it, but its lack of widespread popularity means that it’s destined to flop like a fish out of water on Broadway. And that’s before you worry about casting, staging, and all the fake blood needed. It’s more than you might think.

2 Likes

Hmm…I dunno. It’s bad, but I still don’t see how it’s worse than Lizzie Borden the Musical, Jack the Ripper the Musical, or 9/11 the Musical. Unless someone sets the Holocaust to music I can’t picture anything worse than those at the moment. ☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

1 Like

I’m not saying it would be morally offensive, just that it would be doomed to fail. Trying to make a musical out of a property that is unknown and in a genre that doesn’t lend itself to musicalization is hard enough.

At least it’s not about mahjong.

1 Like

Ih, and there’s no romantic subplots or queer representation or subtext. So you already lost most hardcore musical fans already.

1 Like

Worse still, showtunes don’t really fit here. The closest thing musically would be something like The Clash or The Ramones-not common sights on The Great White Way.

1 Like