I'm a straight A student and I failed college. Here's why...

So yeah, I have been a straight A student my whole life. I started college last year and failed 3 classes in 1st semester and 2 in 2nd semester. I KNOW! :neutral_face:

I went to a counselor and she referred me to a psychiatrist. After a series of tests, I got my diagnosis, and it shocked the hell out of me because I had no idea I was so different than the rest of the world!
It also made a lot of sense to me and my family.

You wanna know what I got?
I was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).

Iā€™m sorry if some of the things I said offended anybody. I didnā€™t mean it.
Iā€™m still learning about what to say and not say about people on the autism spectrum :purple_heart:

The good news is that Iā€™m getting help this year! So hereā€™s to finishing college :clinking_glasses: :grin:

7 Likes

I was an A student until college too! Then I failed because my roommates dragged me to keg parties every night. And I hate beer. Argh. And I didnā€™t even like my roommates that much. I wasnā€™t allowed to switch dorms, though, so I dropped out for a few years to get my head together. Then I went back to a different college a few years later and graduated, so you can do it too, autism or not. Yesh, you can do it! ( Ė†ā—”Ė†)Ū¶ Ł©(Ė˜ā—”Ė˜ )

3 Likes

Thank youuuu :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And congrats on graduating!! :tada:

2 Likes

Ah it can be very disheartening to fail after doing so well. Make sure you get in touch with disability support/ student services at your college to make adjustments that you might need. Goodluck!

I donā€™t have autism. Uni for me has been up and down. I was achieving top results, but my mental health was at an all-time low in the first two years. But I got the support that I needed, and it has been an extremely rewarding experience overall. I work at my uni now, and am starting my postgrad later this year.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I will be getting help from the disability support on campus this coming year.
Iā€™m sorry for what you went through but yaaay Iā€™m so happy for you now that you finished college and planning your post-grad degree! :tada: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I gave up on school, went back to do music, got a qualification and turned into a pastry :smiley:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! School isnā€™t the only way :smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you were failing, but I hope it gets better! :blush: :heart: And Iā€™m glad youā€™re getting help! I hope it gets easier for you!! :hugs:

I never finished high school, though I had a 3.5 GPA but I know I would drown if I ever went back to school and did college. :sweat_smile: My sister went to college though, but she only did two years to get her associates degree. She was a straight A student and was struggling herself. She hated it and decided not to continue college. :sweat_smile: She was lucky though because her work paid for it all lol. But she at least got to graduate which she never got to do with high school because she did her last year online.

College is just too hard for everyone, but way harder for those who struggle with disorders or learning disabilities.:upside_down_face: :pleading_face:

3 Likes

COVID year, huh?
Yeah, I feel sorry for the students who graduated that year. They didnā€™t get the full experience.

Good for her. Iā€™m glad she got the graduation she deserves :smile:

True :sob:

Thanks for sharing, Meyers :purple_heart: :hugs:

3 Likes

What did you think of Autism before you were diagnosed?

1 Like

I donā€™t know how to answer that question without offending anybody ^^ā€™

1 Like

I will assume you thought poorly of the condition, then.

1 Like

Yup. Iā€™m ashamed.

1 Like

It was actually way before COVID lol. Back in 2012. :sweat_smile: We both did online (her for her senior year, me for my freshman year) because we were in the process of moving from town to town. We were going to go to a public school, but they acted like they didnā€™t care about your education. There were lots of pregnant teens (which tells me they either donā€™t have sex-ed or a very bad sex-ed course, or the teens are too wild which would make sense with our online school since the majority of students that went to the online school as we met quite a few were parents, had parents who had substance abuse, they had substance abuse, or they were were in and out of juvie) the counselor made us wait for two hours and then said to come back the next day to ā€œget us situated,ā€ my mom fought with them in the office about that. Then my sister asked about graduating because she didnā€™t have enough credits (required for the state) and they told her she wouldnā€™t be eligible to graduate at all and she then asked if she could take extra credit courses or assignments and he was like, ā€œYou have to talk to your teachers about that. They may allow you to, but itā€™s not always possible.ā€ He also mentioned that she could take college courses, but they wouldnā€™t count toward her credits and we would have to pay the few thousand dollars for her to take them.

Ugh. It was horrible. So, we left the high school not enrolled and the next day, there was a few people at the grocery store promoting a local online school service and we checked it out and decided to do it. It wasnā€™t all that great, especially since the people (both the students and teachers) were creepy and weird, and they didnā€™t run like normal online schools (the teachers encouraged cheating, too lol) but it got us through the year. And they allowed her to graduate, too. So that was a plus. My sister eventually moved out that year to move in with her boyfriend (her husband now lol) across the country (she initially went to go to his prom, but ended up staying and finishing her senior online while he finished junior at his high school). While the online school did have an in-person graduation, she wouldnā€™t have wanted to go because she didnā€™t really like it all, so it wouldnā€™t have mattered either way. I guess.

And then it wasnā€™t until 2019 when she graduated college for her two year degree. :sweat_smile: So, just before COVID, thank god.

We all are. :blush: :hugs: I cried so hard when I saw her walk down the aisle in her cap and gown, and then again when she walked the stage. Iā€™m so proud of her! :face_holding_back_tears:

And Iā€™m proud of you for you to keep going! :face_holding_back_tears: :hugs:

1 Like

Iā€™m actually the oppositeā€”did pretty poorly in high school but tried harder and did better in college. but I only got a general education associate degree so far. going to start on my bachelorā€™s in fall :upside_down_face: best of luck to all in your studies!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.