Indie Author Woes.

After reading about the Wattys, and about Wattpad’s plans to basically veer away from experimental works/shorts in favor of their own in-house publishing press over everything else, and because of their inherent need to maximize profits all the time (and pick mainly 8-10-year-old stories for Paid Stories), I am thinking of moving to ScribbleHub or RR.

Tapas is too fluffy for me, Inkitt is just smut, and Radish is just all Paid Stories with smut and cliche, and it seems hard to actually write something original there and get paid. I might just use Patreon, or something on RR/Scribblehub so that people can fund an actual physical version of my story. And a fully edited one as well.

And I might just use my blog as well. For writing things, and for posts about writing/writing websites.

Yes, I am entering the Wattys, but that’s mainly to finish I Must Confess. I don’t really expect much to come from it, though. I’m just kinda fed up with the system, and things going nowhere on Wattpad. I’m not bashing it because it works for some people, and some people get a lot out of it, but it seems like it’s hard to get exposure on there.

I want to release my own stuff, and I am willing to take most of the expenses on myself because I care about my work, and I want to have them creatively driven my way (with feedback of course). And some beta readers. I want to create a work of quality, and not necessarily quantity.

Does anyone else feel the same way, and think that some writing websites have gone down the drain when they started messing with things? (Not just Wattpad, but I hear Tapas too, and some people don’t go on Inkitt cause Wattpad owns it, apparently).

5 Likes

Yeah, everything is profit now a days.

3 Likes

The only beef with any website I have is that I am not popular on it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

:dotted_line_face:

2 Likes

I want my stories to be memorable.

3 Likes

Yeah, me too.

3 Likes

That’s what makes them profitable. Because that person reads it, then tells the other person, omg, that was a great one… and so forth and so on.

3 Likes

It’s about the experience as well as just flicking through pages of a published book (whether that be self-published or trad published). I like to try and experiment too, and give people something worthwhile. Maybe that’s my problem, why I’m not like super profitable.

1 Like

I feel exactly the same. I’m still on wattpad but really don’t expect to gain anything from it. Same with any other writing playform currently available. They just don’t have what I need. They care more about profits than providing the service their primary userbase needs, so it turns into a lottery with terrible odds to get what you need from the site and it’s just not worth all the time and effort for a slim chance of getting any return out of it. I’m really frustrated that I can’t find a decent writing community online that can help me reach my goals (while also allowing me to help and support others), because I haven’t been able to find the reaources I need offline either. There’s just so little resources available for writers to get feedback and exposure from.

3 Likes

It is hard to find a decent community of people that fits certain peoples need. It makes me feel a bit tired of looking anymore.

3 Likes

Yeah, unless you’re heavily cliched, progressive, or can actually make them a profit. Wattpad doesn’t seem to care about stories, until they make massive waves, and to be honest, in a way, they have always been like that. When After really started to pick up steam in like 2013-14, they milked it as much as they can (no hate towards Anna Todd, what she did with a Harry Styles fanfic is pretty remarkable) and they still do. In every single interview, they parade her around as a success and put her at most of their events. And talk about that movie a lot still.

Yeah, I think that in terms of forums alone, this community is the best at the moment but the hard part is diverting decent traffic from this forum to feedback for Wattpad fics, even from friends. Even they don’t like everything you write. Wattpad in its earlier days (have been around since 2013) was amazing for making friends and getting feedback, but since they actually nuked the community aspect of it, it’s hard to get any of that now.

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for the writing platform that bans fanction altogether. But since that would lead to 1000x less clicks and less ad revenue, it’s not something that any major platform would ever do.

4 Likes

tbh, a lot of fanfic is awful but I’d rather have it over Wattpad’s ads and paid stories model.

1 Like

i used to write fan fictions. :pleading_face:

1 Like

I still write fanfic, as well as my own stories. It’s just another writing genre, there’s nothing wrong with it.

If people don’t like it, they don’t have to read it, just like any other genre that might not appeal to them. Banning fanfic isn’t productive in any way and suggesting it should be is just rude to fanfic writers. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with fanfic or that it’s inferior in any way. Quite frankly, the fact that so many writers think it is really bothers me. It’s ok if it’s not your thing, you are allowed to have a preference, but when you make other people feel bad about reading or writing it and try to exclude them from a place that should be for all writers, regardless of what they write, that becomes problematic. It’s rude and invites bullying, and I don’t want to be in a community that does that. The whole point of this thread was to bring awareness to how toxic most writing sites are and how we don’t like that. Having a site that excludes others just because of the kind of writing they do is just another example of a toxic writing site. It’s counter productive.

A lot of original writing is awful too. Fanfic isn’t the problem. Fanfic is an excellent way for writers to improve their skills and get better. It’s why it’s a common launching point for many writers. Yes, that means the quality isn’t always as good because a lot of fanfic writers are just starting out with writing at all, but that doesn’t make fanfic inherently bad. In fact, it makes it an excellent tool for writers to utilize so they can improve their skills enough to move on to original story ideas.

I agree with the fanfiction part of what you said. I used to write fanfiction when I was younger and it helped me a lot with my writing skills.

2 Likes

I didn’t say anything disparaging about fanfiction or the people who write it. There are fanfic-only websites. It would be nice if there were original-only websites.

1 Like

Yes. Just yes. And that’s why I’m planning to self publish. At least then there’s a chance of getting readers :joy:

1 Like

Self publishing is a lot of work. Good luck

Fanfic is a genre of writing. There can be sites that are dedicated to just one specific genre of writing. But making a site that is for writing in general, but that excludes one specific genre while including the rest, doesn’t make any sense.