Instagram? Supporting each other, recommending others, and talking about IG.

So, jumping off of @MoFoMi’s post, I wanted to make one focusing on IG because that’s where I’m active as a writer/reader. And, yes, I could go through that post to find all the IG accounts, but I was getting confused and overwhelmed, so, I decided to make this :blush:

But this post is not just about me or just about you. I want to take this opportunity to find small platforms. Sometimes I check out newly joined IG users recommended to me and comment and follow them if I like their stuff. I don’t even care if they follow back or not. I just want to support. Don’t you?

And, I’m also going to use this to talk about why IG and why we like it.

1. Tell me your IG username only (mine is @ foxwoodauthor just so you know when I follow you). Follow back is welcomed and optional.

2. Recommend an IG writer’s or reader’s account to me. Preferably someone who has less than 300 followers and who were last active at least a year ago. I like supporting people :blush: I remember when I was just starting out on IG and support from larger platforms really helped me out!

3. Tell me why you created an Instagram account, what you like about Instagram, and how it has benefited you. I’m curious.

One small thing, the following on my part will also be optional because I do have preferences. Not that I dislike you or anything. I do want to follow content I’m comfortable with. I hope you understand if I don’t follow you.

Also, of course, feel free to check out each other or the recommended accounts. This is not about gaining followers. It’s about helping each other grow and finding new people to become friends with :blush:

You know...

I can’t believe I can say this but…I’m a larger platform now? :eyes: I’m not one to brag about followers because that’s not the point. The community is. I don’t have 1000 followers…but oh my gosh, I might just :scream: Two years ago, I wasn’t even close to being anything. I never thought I would be. It’s a little bit scary to be honest :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

People use Instagram for author reasons?

2 Likes

Author reasons to connect to other authors, to connect to readers, and I use it for inspiration and follow art accounts.

2 Likes

I get the art and inspiration part but isn’t Twitter where authors usually connect more?

1 Like

Maybe traditionally published authors? I see a lot of writers and self-published authors on IG.

2 Likes

These people also have instagram accounts on top of twitter and facebook :+1:

2 Likes

I love this! Instagram is such a fun platform, at least the book community. I don’t really venture outside of that :joy: But I have an intense love of pretty covers and I’ll take any reason to talk about books/writing so it’s perfect for me. It’s been great for growing my audience (albeit slowly) too

Mine is @lacysheridanauthor if anyone is interested, and I’d love to check out and support other people’s too!

2 Likes

I don’t have anything on mine at the moment, but when I finally finish my current wip and make a cover, I want to come up with some color-coordinated images to make a mood board out of my Instagram. So my whole IG will be an aesthetic board. But first I have to write the book, pull some good quotes from it, come up with a color scheme, make the images, and then post them in the proper order so that they look good together. Hopefully IG will still be here a year from now when I finish all that. ☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

https://www.instagram.com/akjemajdanek/

1 Like

@JJJ000YYY Hey, thanks for moving it! Now I know where the social media type topics go :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But aren’t they often managed by their managers? Or do some post things themselves? Like, I follow Philip Pullman, but idk if he has time to post on IG…

1 Like

No problem XD general rule is that if you’re swapping socials with others, it belongs here.

1 Like

Managers aren’t a thing authors really have. Most traditionally published authors are still in charge of their social media and a decent amount of their own marketing. Some, especially bigger ones, do have PAs who help manage social media for them but it’s not something that comes with being traditionally published, it’s an extra expense they choose to have

2 Likes

Some manage them themselves

Followed you. I’m sigils_design (it’s my design account, don’t have an author one yet.)

1 Like

Nope. Most authors don’t have managers, be it self published or trad published. Trad pub authors get assigned publicists in their publishing house, but usually these publicists also have more than a dozen other authors to work with, and they also have the marketing department to deal with, and often a tiny budget, so they don’t start focusing on that book until like 6-7 months from release, do some b2b promotion, and then move on to other books, then come back about a month from release and so on.
Really popular, big authors who are very busy and have the means might have social media managers and personal assistants, but these are personally hired, and very, very rare. To be able to afford these, you’d need to have at least 2-3 bestselling books, a persistent following which will buy all your future books, and have the luxury of earning royalties from all your past books - even then, I doubt it would be enough to afford managers for many authors. Royalty rates are just not that high, and costs of living are through the roof.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll follow back

1 Like

This is mine! or just @/mini_moxx on insta!