Is Black Magic/White Magic actually Offensive?

Black Magic is magic refferimg to harming a person(i.e. cursing your bully to fall down a flight of stairs). White Magic means healing.

Some people think this dicotomy is racist.

4 Likes

What???

1 Like

The Black in Black Magic is likely not related to Black people. The “white good, black bad” dicotomy is common in fairytales, too.

2 Likes

Maybe Harming Magic and Healing Magic are more accurate names? (But it’s not racist, in any context).

2 Likes

I get that much. It was just interesting that you brought this up.

I don’t see it as racist, BUT there are those who would view it as racist because people are so damn weird.

2 Likes

All magic was bad, at one point. White was added like white was added to lie to make fiblets.

There are other things to call it:

Dark Magic, the Left-Handed Path

Black Shamanism is opposite of Yellow Shamanism, not white. And this is the hint as to what’s going on.

Evil entities who are coming to get you are a black mass, not a brown skin tone.

Widdershins: comes from Middle Low German weddersinnes, literally “against the way”

Counter-magic…

I do find it annoying that everything gets boiled down to an inaccurate skin color definition.

2 Likes

I think this analysis could be interesting if you applied it culturally and to modern-day perspectives of magic-use.

Like, it’s become pretty relevant in western-culture for ‘modern-witches’ to assign themselves the title of ‘pagan’–and this is generally accepted. Ofc, it’s still societally a little taboo to practice anything other than mono religion, but it’s still creating relevancy and it’s still being accepted.

On the other hand, if someone today was to say that they practice ‘voodoo’ which is commonly associated with black cultures, a lot of people won’t like it. They’ll attribute a lot of shitty stereotypes and fear of voodism, mainly because it’s heavily misunderstood and it’s associated with ‘savagery’ which is pretty feckin racist.

However, it’s pretty important here to note that voodism in modern-day is used to justify some pretty evil shit. Child-sacrifice is still a huge problem because of them, and there’s almost no laws in places where child-sacrifice is ‘common’ that protect children. So, a lot of social stigma could and does come from the modern-day use and practices of voodism. Just wanted to note here, so it doesn’t look like I’m trying to dilute a serious issue that exists within the practice of voodism. (Annie Ikpa who actively fights this issue gave a fantastic interview about her experiences with child-sacrifice if you want to learn more about it. You can find it on Youtube.)

Automatically, people will assume that ‘paganism’ is white magic and ‘voodism’ is black magic because of that strange cultural association to one another.

Historically, though, it’s not really like ‘white magic’ was a thing that was accepted. All ideas of magic were considered evil, and anyone found to be ‘practicing’ it were brought to the stakes. (ofc, that’s not even taken into account the cultural stigma of the actual witch trails, which mainly targeted women who didn’t meet societal standards either because they were old and mean, or promiscuous).

ANYWAY, I do think there’s much to be learned from analyzing from the perspective of what we individually consider ‘white’ and ‘black’ magic and why we attribute those roles to certain types of practices and not others. Most importantly, analyzing why you believe those things.

The words themselves aren’t racist, they’re describing different uses of magic. But the application of it can be racist, imo.

I also just wanna say that while I’m not entirely against modern-day witches, I do think they dilute a lot from what they’re taking of and they refuse to accept that anything bad ever came out of what they’re practicing. Like, the pagans practiced ritualistic sacrifice just as much as the next guy. Even the druids did so as well, although there’s not a lot of actual significant evidence to exactly what druids practiced because their entire religion and culture was wiped away and destroyed.

4 Likes

There is evidence that the bog mummies were ritually sacrificed.

Not to mention the men and animals that were executed for suspicion of witchcraft.

1 Like

Sacrifice all on its own, as a practice, is completely unjustifiable to me. It’s also really hard to accurately analyze much of sacrifice because so much of their religious practices and culture have been wiped away. I mean, we don’t know a lot about the vikings because the vikings never wrote anything down. They just thought everyone would remember AH. Same with the celts, lol.

Some historians will say that much of the sacrifice was actually voluntary, as in the person being sacrificed was volunteering to that position and it was consensual. However, I do think it’s important to note that ‘volunteering’ could’ve been seen as something you do societally, and to reject such an idea was basically saying “no I won’t do it” and them saying “yes you will” and you being sacraficed anyway. But this cultural nuance does lend to some forethought–and it’s also hard to comprehend something being voluntary because it’s not commonly practiced world-wide. It’s like that scene in Midsommar, which I personally won’t get into. If you know it, you know it.

Of course, you’re absolutely right.

sigh tbh, most of the witch-trials had nothing to do with magic but people’s shitty fears being projected onto others.

I mean, have you heard of prone burials? Wild.

2 Likes

It’s a “cake or death” choice to me. If you aren’t sacrificed, the sun will stop moving/the volcano will erupt/the rains won’t come/etc, Not really a choice there.

1 Like

I agree, and I think that’s how a lot of sacrifices were contextualized then.

1 Like

I grew up southwest of New Orleans. We have white voodoo practicioners, often dually practicing Catholics: those of dual faith. Some of it is pretty “savage” (such a relative term). Sticking needles in dolls to deliberately cause pain on a real person, if not believed is just a DammitDollTM, if believed is willfully wanting to cause death and injury.

The original practices (Vodun) can require splitting a live chicken, sprinkling blood everywhere. That is seen as backwards and all sorts of stuff.

But to call it differently savage, we forget that animal sacrifice is rooted in most main religions. Practicing Jews are waiting to be called back to Jerusalem to start sacrifices. They keep track of unblemished cows just for the purpose of being ready to go and slaughter in Jerusalem. Strict Christians may not involve themselves with the sacrifice, but they’re likely to support it.

Then you got this Florida Man:

Dude has some pictures that make him look wholly possessed. Has a history that isn’t even addressed in this article.

It’s just not mainstream…yet.

3 Likes

tells me all I need to know :flushed:

4 Likes

depends
like saying it in books ain’t harmful but some people irl have referred to santeria and voodoo as like. black magic white wicca (a notoriously racist religion) has been praised and venerated in the spiritual world

1 Like

A lot of the sacrifices that were to appease environment certainly took on an aspect of “appease the Gods”, but that’s only in a religious setting where slaughter is rare. It wasn’t always that for the Greeks and Romans, and it was another thing for the Jews.

Common sacrifice for the Empires was a way to feed the masses cheaply. It’s why in the NT Paul outright tells Christians to NEVER ask where the meat comes from, but to abstain if a “weaker brother” challenges them on eating meat, and to abstain from participating in the festivals, eating meat around those holidays. Should be Romans 14 for the first…1 or 2 Cor 8? for the second? I’d have to look that one up to give the right reference.

The way animal sacrifice for Jewish culture, written by Jewish Christians, is that sacrifices pertaining to removing sins was “An appeal to God for a clean conscience” and that “the blood of goats and bulls does nothing”. As far as what the early church did, the writer(s) of both statements was still practicing Jew as well as Christian, which means they were sacrificing at the temple still. An example of that is in Acts when Paul takes a vow then goes to present himself at the temple around accusations of him bringing an uncircumcised follower into the temple.

3 Likes

Thanks for the additional information! I did not know anything about white voodoo practitioners in New Orleans, and it’s interesting to consider how they’re dual practicing.

I can’t believe this world is real sometimes.

3 Likes

This is an interesting one.

2 Likes

This one was super interesting thanks for sharing!

1 Like

What is interesting is that they care less that she’s white, but more that she’s vegan: and there’s no consensus over it. People mix everything together.

1 Like

So long as there is no drinking of goat blood.

2 Likes