Is it boring because...

When something is boring to you is it because…
(Depending on what ever that thing is that bores you.)

A. You don’t understand it.

B. It makes zero sense and you aren’t in the mood to figure it out.

C. Because it isn’t fun and enjoyable.

D. It has been done before and it lacks originality.

E. All of the above.

F. Something else entirely…

Choose wisely!
NOTE: Anything that is boring to you, tell me why it is exactly boring to you and which option have you chosen and why?

I would have made a poll version, but I chose to go this route instead.
Enjoy!!!

EDIT: Here is the Poll!!!

• A.
  • B.
  • C.
  • D.
  • E.
  • F.

0 voters

2 Likes

This.

You know how to make polls, right? Just hit the gear button in the corner of the post interface

2 Likes

I take it you’re referring to when reading books is boring? If so, it’s usually because the author has added a lot of unnecessary drivel instead of getting to the point. I hate it when people talk around and around something instead of getting to the important part. And it’s even worse when they do that in books. It’s also boring when they’re actually trying to get to the point, but they do it in a flowery way instead of saying it straightforward. Writers often underestimate their readers, and assume you won’t be able to make a leap of logic and grasp their point without them describing it to death to make it blatantly obvious. Argh. (-᷅_-᷄๑)

Maybe you should start with authors known for writing tersely and getting to the point? Try these:

3 Likes

I know that. I just wasn’t in the mood to do it.

I might do it later.

1 Like

No. I am talking about ANYTHING in general. This is not centered on books.

2 Likes

I’ll use High Guardian Spice as my example.

The characters are underdeveloped, the worldbuilding is bland, and the visuals are mediocre. It is nothing but fluff.

1 Like

I heard about this show.

1 Like

I recommend watching it if you hate yourself

2 Likes

Nah, I’m good. Thanks for suggesting it though…I think.

LOL!

2 Likes

C. Is just the definition of boring, it doesn’t explain why it isn’t fun and enjoyable.

I chose D. Because that’s one of the major things that make something boring for me. If I’ve seen it before, or something too similar, it just gets redundant.

But, other factors can cause something to be boring for me as well, such as a lack of a strong hook that draws me in. If it doesn’t stand out in some way, it will blend in with everything else and I won’t spend time and effort trying to pick it out and explore it further.

There’s also just the fact that some things aren’t interesting to me, at least not right now. For example, you might write a book about a gardener and it could be the most well written story with a wonderful message and characters, and I still wouldn’t read it because the running theme is that the MC is a gardener and the plot revolves around growing plants. Kudos to people who enjoy that thing, nothing wrong with it, but I am simply not interested in gardening or anything related to it at this point in my life. It’s just not my thing right now, so a book about it wouldn’t be enticing to me.

3 Likes

I don’t get confused on books all that often. If I am confused, it’s explained over time. That’s the whole point to mysteries: you’re not supposed to know it all by the first scene. So, why would confusion matter?

But I have a focus issue. There is a threshold of interesting that needs to be maintained for me to keep reading m. And I’ve got no problem giving up on the middle of a story if it’s not paced well.

3 Likes

Just to let you know, this isn’t centered on books, but rather anything that is considered boring to you.

1 Like

Yeah. ADHD. Everything boring is gone. ADD folks tend to be pretty smart, in spite of it. I can count maybe a handful of times I’ve been wholly lost on something.

2 Likes

Honestly think this has a lot to do with ADHD, but boredom is physically painful, and I cannot, no matter how hard I try, get past it.

So, most things I’m bored by make zero sense because I don’t want to spend time learning about it. If it’s not something that interests me, it’s not something that needs to occupy my mind.

Unless it is… in which case I suffer.

3 Likes

ADHD is either: “I am so interested in this it occupies my thoughts day and night.” or “I hate this, delete.”

3 Likes

I actually enjoy a lot of things people find boring/chore. Gardening. Gym. Walking. Watching Figure Skating. All of those are repetitive, all of those are been there/done it before. They don’t make much sense. They all unfold at a slow and steady pace and have majorly delayed gratification. But to me they all hold promise of something beautiful, the Aha! moment after lots of time and energy invested into it. They also all simulative to reflections. Hence, I like all of those activities.

And, yes, I like the immediately exciting activities too, like travel, when airplane takes off, sets you in a new destination, etc.

3 Likes

So, the little things in life leaves you content and happy and never truly bored?

1 Like

What sucks is when it’s something I can get interested in, but I’m not in the mood. New ST has been all over the place, and I’ve just not picked it up, yet, while my husband has been itching to watch Picard with me.

1 Like

I totally get this, especially when it’s something you’re writing–that really sucks.

1 Like

I haven’t written anything serious since ONC because I’m just not feeling it. I’ve got shit I want finished and I’m doing shitall about it.

1 Like