Is it okay to put a real life celebrity in my book?

I’m planning to put an artist, like Ed Sheeran or something, in my story. Is this okay?

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen in stories, there shouldn’t be an issue with it. After all, there’s fanfiction out there that’s solely about celebrities, and that’s allowed, so, yeah, you can make a celebrity a character, or just put their name in as a passing remark, it should be perfectly fine.

3 Likes

I am quite sure it is you would be surprised at the number of Harry Styles(an English singer, songwriter and actor) books on wattpad.

4 Likes

As long as they aren’t a prominent feature I don’t see why not. Maybe as a passing name. A lot of books have music stuff in books, but as long as they aren’t like, an MC. Perhaps you’re just going to a concert with a friend or something, I don’t see why that’s not allowed. Now if you are writing them in as an actual character, that can get tricky. It depends on how you plan on using Ed Sheeran.

2 Likes

No I think they can be main characters too I mean you will most probably be making up everything about them and you most probably can not publish book for actually sell it for money but otherwise you most certainly can use them as MC or otherwise

1 Like

Should be fine providing you’re not selling it, and not writing about them in a bad light (even if you’re not selling it).

2 Likes

If it was a passing name, that’s fine - like if you’re referencing a concert your character is going to etc.

2 Likes

I used Steven Hawkins in a short story, and gave him some dialogue. It was deemed okay as he was nothing more than a single passage, sending one of his warnings to humanity.

To be honest, I think he would have been pleased with the way I used him to convey this moment.

SD

1 Like

Not if you’re planning on publishing it you can’t use them as MCs. As a brief passing, or if the MC of your book is listening to their music it’s okay. Unless they are planning on writing an Ed Sheeran fanfiction I wouldn’t write them as main characters, or even side characters.

1 Like

I mentioned that in my post read it again

1 Like

Yes you can do anything as long as the story is entitled to wattpad. Other than that if you publish anywhere else where legal issues are involved, then you are bound to face copyright infringement.

yeah fuck it i have too many celebrities in my book

2 Likes

Hahaha!

SD

1 Like

Yeah, I’m planning to use his name for one certain purpose and nothing else. It’s just a mention of him. :stuck_out_tongue:

A small mention of him would be fine right? Like for example:

“What are you listening to?”
“Ed Sheeran.”
“Ah.”

Yes…that fine.

If you don’t mind, can you tell me if this question is regarding a story in wattpad or is it somewhere else?

I’m not sure, but do you think it wtill be fine to publish a book with a small mention of the celebrity like that?

If it resembles anything along these lines, then its perfectly fine but if your MC or any other character is Ed Sheeran himself :joy: Then that might be a problem.

P.S:He is my fav singer!

Fan fics do it. You may have to change it later

I started a book yesterday where all the major 5 male leads are one direction - After now it is a netflix movie, it was first posted on wattpad and is still there but got published later. I am not sure but most probably the last names were changed in the published version.

If you publish a book with only a mention of a famous person’s name you will not have a problem. you can even put a cameo without any problem.