Is there a truth that your character just doesn't want to believe?

The truth is right there in your character’s face, yet they refuse to accept it.
They know it is the actual truth, but they can’t bring themselves to believe it or accept it in the slightest.

Eventually, this character might come to terms with accepting it…maybe.

Do you have a character like that or no?

2 Likes

I have a morally ambiguous MC that doesn’t want to accept the truth about him developing a soft spot for the family that’s helping him, because he had every intention of throwing them under the bus, so to speak, and now he can’t bring himself to do it because he cares about them too much. He doesn’t want to admit that’s the reason though, and keeps telling himself he still needs their help and that’s why he hasn’t betrayed them yet.

2 Likes

that’s a great character conflict!

2 Likes

Basically all my characters have something like that. Gotta have some inner conflict in there

2 Likes

My MC doesn’t believe that the magical beings can ever be good people. Even when he teams up with one, he still doesn’t believe it and feels as though she’s going to sabotage him. But he eventually realizes that they’re not all bad, and some are just misguided and crazy, especially since they’re enslaved and forced to do those bad things by their Queen. And he, too, will find out how it feels.

1 Like

Pretty big spoilers if you’re reading BWT and its sequels:

Edin, the protagonist of the story, is the biological twin brother of Damon, the mass-murdering villain. It’s not too much of a shock considering how they look so alike and all, but it still takes a while for him to accept it.

I could list more but I’d be here forever. In the whole story there’s a lot of truths and half-truths that get revealed, and the reactions to them are… :grimacing:

1 Like

Geldrid is in denial of who his father is…

I can say no more as this will spoil much.

SD

1 Like

Ooh, delicious spoilers! LOL!

Was Edin and Damon real close when they were younger?

Ooh.

I feel that there’s a tragic backstory for your MC on why they don’t believe that magical beings are good people.

1 Like

Well, when they were three or four years old, I’d say they were pretty close. It all went down when the boys turned five. Damon got a taste of using sorcery as a little kid and because sorcery corrupts the soul of whoever uses it, this little kid started turning evil early. Edin can’t do magic so he’s unable to use sorcery—on the contrary, he was on the receiving end of curses. They were never able to repair their relationship :skull:

1 Like

Oh no!

The whole trilogy is a series of “oh no”s :skull: as some people on this forum can testify

1 Like

That he’s actually incompetent and a troublemaker and not a visionary.

1 Like

Ouch!

How do you tell him that he is those things without resorting to a full-blown argument?

LOL!

1 Like

Bethany doesn’t want to believe she has powers. Although she was forced to use them not so long ago, and they went out of control not so long ago.

1 Like

She believes that she is normal like most others. correct?
That is why she doesn’t believe that she has powers.

Did she forget hat she has powers or not at all?

1 Like

She thinks she is normal and wants to be normal. She doesn’t want all this complicated fantasy stuff in her life when her life without magick is already a mess.

1 Like

Ah, I see.

So, I take it Bethany doesn’t fully understand that she has a calling? Or am I wrong about that?

1 Like

Through his wife… and record label?

1 Like