I've been thinking and pondering about myself more (a different type of AMA)

Dating some “hot/attractive” cosplayer simply because they make my favorite anime character look sexy in the real world?!

Are you trying to make me get a fetish or something?
Unless that person is a professional cosplayer and I was hot as hell, then maybe, but since I am average to unattractive looking, that ain’t happening.

The most I can get is a cosplayer who doesn’t hit those boxes in the way I like.

So, I am not only picky and superficial to some degree, I am not ready to waste someone’s time with my problems and appearance.

I’ve always been horrible to myself…it’s a problem.

I agree with this. I think the reason why so many western marriages fail is because people have so many unresolved issues/trauma/undiagnosed illnesses that they don’t fully understand and they go into a relationship expecting that it’s going to “fix” them. This is a lot of pressure to put on another human being. Having a partner that supports you is great, but they’re not meant to fix everything.

As for love/relationships, I’m with @J.L.O on saying that I’m glad I found someone way before the dating scene was reduced to swiping left and posting their entire lives on Tik Tok/Instagram. I think most people don’t actually know what love is. They THINK they do, but they don’t. Being in a relationship, especially a marriage, is a commitment. It’s a CHOICE you make and it’s not based on just feeling. Yes, the good feelings need to be there too but people change over the years and so do feelings. The butterflies aren’t going to be there your entire lives and people think they “fall out of love” because that initial high they had when they were first dating fizzles out.

You’re building a life with someone. Considering them when making decisions that involve the both of you and that future you both envision. People these days are too shallow/selfish/delusional. I’ve seen several video of women saying they want a 6 figure billionaire and they turn down decent average guys based on that alone, and it’s like… less than 1% of the population fits that bill, then add other things like age range, location, whether the person is single etc. It’s astronomically unrealistic to expect some billionaire to sweep you off your feet because you think you “deserve it.” Meanwhile so many women these days don’t want to do anything. Cook. Clean. Any kind of nurturing. Doesn’t mean you HAVE to, but if you’re getting into a relationship, you both have to offer SOMEthing in terms of skill/support. I’ve also seen a lot of women with the mindset of, I’m going to sit here and be pretty and the man will do all the things. No honey, unless you look like a Kardashian, it’s not happening haha :laughing:

Anyway, I read this book once. Some of the ideas in it are outdated but the one thing I liked was that he basically says love is art. And just like having an art skill or any other skill, you can’t improve/master that skill without putting time/discipline into it. Too many people don’t want to do that. They want feelings that are temporary, fantasies and don’t want to put effort into anything.

Here’s the book if you’re curious: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBPWAJC/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

I think modern women have also misinterpreted what it means to be “independent” and instead it means, “be a jerk to the opposite gender bc I think I’m superior.” Yes, you should educate yourself and make sure you have the means to support/take care of yourself. My mama always told me that since I was a kid. Not to depend on a man in case something happened, I can take care of myself whether he cheated or he passed away etc. to be able to be independent in that sense. It doesn’t mean, however, that you SHOULDN’T be able to rely on your partner, and that you shouldn’t seek a connection where you can build a life together. My mother was married to my father for 40 yrs before she passed. I’ve been with my hubby for 20 coming this October.

It’s never going to be perfect. You will learn and grow together. And there is never going to be a “right time” where you’re “fully healed” to pursue a relationship. Life is short and we’re works in progress. So long as you’re getting therapy and actively working on yourself, and you find someone doing the same, and you enter a relationship willing to respect one another and support one another, ya’ll be all right.

I’m sure not everyone will agree with what I said. There’s a reason why they say arranged marriages last longer. It’s because the parents that set their children up take their children’s personalities/skill sets/occupations into account in an attempt to make a good fit (in a good arranged marriage, not a bad one).

3 Likes

If I was in a situation to choose a relationship for my kid, it would be maki g sure everything was good on paper.

We dont know where this world will end up in 5-10 years. When countirs fall, they sometimes implode, and have rapid sifts of culture.

And I agree with the basic layout you have on what relatuo ships would be and will point out that the Karsassians can’t keep men and keep them sane, so its not like they have everything in spite of how glamorized it is.

Oh, and the butterflies can just be fear
You might not be in love, just scared anotless and told that you should be in love from that feeling.

Biggest tell of feelings I had from my husband is I felt safe with him–always had.

2 Likes

This is true. Don’t ignore red flags or things that make you incompatible with someone just because the “feelings” are there and/or you think he/she’ll change or you think it’s all in your head. Your gut knows danger. If you feel something is off about someone, it probably is. There’s a saying I like that says, “When someone shows you who they are, believe them.” This is something I’ve struggled with most of my life. Making excuses for other people, trying to convince myself that if I try hard enough or treat them a certain way, then by example, they’ll give the same in return.

Absolutely not. Another reason why knowing yourself well and therapy is a must before getting into a serious relationship with someone, romantic or otherwise. Now that I’m older there are a lot of things I just don’t tolerate and certain kinds of people, most people actually haha, that I stay away from. It’s not worth my energy and I wish it was something I realized years earlier. That I wasn’t “lucky” this person wanted anything to do with me just because I had my mental sh*t. Even with mental stuff, you deserve to be happy and loved.

1 Like