I've started getting back into reading.

So, yeah, I got back into reading fiction a little bit.

Now, I know that I have mentioned before that I may have aphantasia, but I really do miss reading fiction.
Meaning when I read, I can’t visualize what is happening in the story. I am reading the words but nothing in my mind is showing me anything. So, I just would not read. I feel that maybe if I was able to visualize while I read fiction. It will become enjoyable.

I did however made an oopsie too with getting back into reading. I have decided to start back reading a pretty thick book. The book is called The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. So far things are interesting and I am still struggling a bit. Now, I think I am just reading just because I want to get back in the reading game.

Whether I see things or not visually doesn’t even matter anymore. I just sincerely want to read fiction again.
I won’t get another fiction book until I manage to finish the first book of The Stormlight Archives. I’ll consider going to Barnes and Noble or Amazon or the library to get a book once I am fully done.

Anyway, what do you think?
I also have some non-fiction writing help books too that I need to read too.

Lend me your thoughts.

8 Likes

Do you like rainbows?

2 Likes

I don’t know. I guess they are pretty to look at.

Why you ask?

1 Like

I have a book on my wishlist called “Rainbow in the Dark”, it’s a memoir by a legendary man.

1 Like

And who is this legendary man???

1 Like

Ronnie
James
Dio

1 Like

Is this book written by one person or is it three people who wrote the book?

I am only asking because of the way you wrote the names down.

1 Like

Three, the guy died before it could be finished

1 Like

So, three men wrote the book, huh?

Interesting. Is there a reason why you mentioned that to me? Did you want me to read it or something?

Normally, memoirs aren’t my thing. I don’t really care for autobiographies or biographies of famous people.

I would rather stay focused on the fictional characters and their world.

Just saying.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you can learn a lot about reading stories from real people.

1 Like

I suppose. I just steer clear away from such stories.
I don’t want to sound mean, but real life people are sometimes boring to me.

I’ll give it some thought. Fair warning: if I become even the slightest bit bored, then I will never consider reading about a person ever again.

Writing wise, reading about real life people sounds interesting enough.

1 Like

I’ve never read anything by Brandon Sanderson, but he’s very popular, so his books must be good. That’s great that you’re reading again! I hope his book doesn’t disappoint you.

I’m reading How to Stop Time by Matt Haig right now. When I bought the book I thought it was going to be about time travel, but it turns out it’s about a guy who’s lived for centuries because of a weird anti-aging condition. So far it’s pretty good. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

Yeah, he is pretty popular. He worked with Robert Jordan in creating the Wheel of Time series.
I hope so.

2 Likes

Didn’t he just finish the series after Jordan died? I honestly have no idea but you’re the first person I’ve heard state that they created the series together.

Anyways, maybe try getting a book after watching the movie/ tv show adaptation. I just picked up Dune today after watching the new movie earlier this year and the movie definitely enhanced my experience with the book so far.

3 Likes

Maybe. I just know that they might have possibly worked together.

Yeah, as much as I want to watch the new Dune I can’t afford to. I can’t even watch the old Dune series.

So, yeah, I either have to read my books or listen to them through Audible.

1 Like

Ah, okay. All I ever heard about it was that after Jordan died he was picked to finish off the series so that there would be a actual ending. So, I was surprised when I read that in your previous post and you wrote it as a fact.

Yeah, Dune isn’t very accessible but they’re more books with adaptions that you could possibly watch. Like I know Gone Girl and some classic books have adaptations you can watch on Tubi which is a free streaming service and Peacock has some that are accessible through their free service as well like Mortal Engines.

2 Likes

I think you should try to read the Overlord light novels, too, they’re really fun.

1 Like

Yeah, I may not be entirely truthful about that. All I know is the Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan might have worked on The Wheel of Time together or something else. Sorry if I made it seem like I knew what I was talking about. :sweat_smile: I mean I am right in some ways.

LOL!

Would you think less of me if I wanted to watch the anime more than read the light novels?

1 Like

I too just recently got back into reading this year! I’ve been in a slump throughout the whole pandemic and back then I could finish an average-sized novel in like 3 days even with all the work I had to do.

I just visited the local library since I recently just moved to a new place. I got “Call me by your name” by Andre Aciman, and it may seem like a crime for me to read it just now, but wow, it really got me back to my reading gig.

So if you haven’t read that, I would maybe suggest that(?) The descriptions on there and the beautiful language in general may help you. But I also think that that thick book may not exactly be the best way to get back into reading? If you’re struggling with it, but if it’s a page-turner then by all means continue. I think it’s good to get back with rally fun books, and save the hard stuff for later

It’s never a crime to drop a book for a while :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not visual. Sometimes I can get a clear look, but not much of anything comes to mind. So it’s always a pleasent surprise when a scene comes with pictures…

So, I don’t write much scenery or descriptions of people. I’ll have my characters fixate on the smaller visuals, just enough to tell the scene.

I’m coming to the conclusion that a lot of non-visual people write.

3 Likes